Indiana ANG P-51?

Thread: Indiana ANG P-51?

Indiana ANG P-51?

Has anyone done an Indiana ANG P-51/F-51 repaint?

I've done a bit of preliminary research and it looks do-able (for me at least...!). Are the nose and flashes a dark blue-green? The colour photo I've found is ambiguous.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

I honestly thought they were red but then looking I just found these.....they are not photos but.....from DCS and the photo used was from the same source and details were given by the supplier of the image.

This was my confusion. I've found this one but in the only colour photo it appears to be nearer to insignia blue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ind P-51 Colour.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	14117

Progressing slowly on the Warbirdsim F-51....

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Here's what I've got so far. 44-84670 of 113th Fighter Squadron, 122nd Fighter Group, Indiana ANG around 1950.

Name:	F-51D Ind ANG 3.jpg 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	14126

Name:	F-51D Ind ANG 1.jpg 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	14128

From the photo, the artwork appears very close to insignia blue so that's what's on it atm. This aircraft seems painted a bit differently to 706 and the national insignia and unit code appear to be further forward, more or less as they ended up in USAF service. The unit was first federated in 1946 and USAF markings were not standardised for some while, so variations of size and position of stars and bars existed side by side.

Anyone with more information please let us know.

DaveQ

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Here's what I've got so far. 44-84670 of 113th Fighter Squadron, 122nd Fighter Group, Indiana ANG around 1950.

Name:	F-51D Ind ANG 3.jpg 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	14126

Name:	F-51D Ind ANG 1.jpg 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	14128

From the photo, the artwork appears very close to insignia blue so that's what's on it atm. This aircraft seems painted a bit differently to 706 and the national insignia and unit code appear to be further forward, more or less as they ended up in USAF service. The unit was first federated in 1946 and USAF markings were not standardised for some while, so variations of size and position of stars and bars existed side by side.

Anyone with more information please let us know.

DaveQ

I'll take it as is!......

Check this out....

I found it online:

Oh! Now I'm even more confused! The legend says 'insignia blue spinner and red trim as shown' .... and it isn't!! I'm going to stick with what I have since it most closely matches the photo, and 670 was not a TF-51D at the time. But many many thanks for your efforts!

Uploaded here and at Flightsim.com. Hope you like it.

DaveQ

Members who have read this thread: 2