A development dream come true

Thread: A development dream come true

A development dream come true

Thanks to the help of a good friend I am having a blast.

http://www.milviz.com/forum/viewtopi...p=40842#p40842
    -JB

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto-kun View Post
    Thanks to the help of a good friend I am having a blast.

http://www.milviz.com/forum/viewtopi...p=40842#p40842
    I do not see any situation where this would be particularly useful, X-Plane has it but only for the MARS planes which are completely fictional. Not to mention most likely it will be an FPS hog...

Quote Originally Posted by vl82m View Post
    ... most likely it will be an FPS hog...
    You could not be more wrong.

edit: although I believe you'll need a DirectX 11 video card
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Naruto,

Terrain following radar, right? If so, I see much greatness in applying that to many military birds equipped with that technology. Looks great, regardless of the impact it may have on FPS. Just another reason to upgrade your system....
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Hello!

This is actually our SVS. And it's EXTREMLY useful especially in bad weather conditions. We will be offering this in several of our upcoming products and, as a standalone.

It's absolutely not a "FPS hog" in any way. Because it's all done outside of FSX, there's no apparent hit.

As well, you will not need a DX11 card. This will work with DX10 just fine.

Thank you.

Kat

Evidently someone missed the framerate counter in several shots....my CPU is a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T at 3.2 Ghz (unoverclocked) and the GPU is a GTX460 (also no overclocking). Occasionally it dips for a moment by 2 or 3 frames but in general it stays at whatever I set it to below 60 fps regardless of whether the SVS is running or not.

As for its usefulness....I think many GA pilots who use the Garmin G1000 or biz jet pilots who use the Proline Fusion display or the many other EFIS displays that have SVS will beg to differ.

This is the ultimate goal by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9N_PFtBUOA
    -JB

That's pretty damn cool, looking forward to seeing it in action!

I'm not familiar with the actual navigation system you're trying to reproduce yet, but I suppose you're doing great, from the reactions of the other members

Personnally, I'm more impressed by the gauge/sim technical side. Being able to draw such a picture on a 3D instrument in the cockpit.... If I'm not mistaken, only VRS was able do that in the past, with the TackPack, and that was working ONLY in DX9. Seeing such a "technology" working in DX10/DX11 is really a good news, especially if it has a very limited impact on the FPS, as you wrote. I'm really curious to see what new kind of features (instruments, systems, etc...) it will bring in future.

The intent is to make it possible for developers to replicate any system. Rockwell Collins, Garmin SVT, Honeywell SVS, Advanced Flight Systems, Dynon, GRT, Aspen, Avidyne, you name it.

Also its a bit different to the TACPACK FLIR. Different set of equal challenges. VRS's FLIR can be likened to Enhanced Vision (aka EVS) in bizjets, where the challenge is in capturing an image already rendered by the sim's graphics engine, and as such it is tied to the graphics library used by the sim. Synthetic vision on the other hand, involves the creation of a graphics engine external to the one used by the sim, and establishing links between the two. To some extent this makes performance improvements easier because it isnt tied to the process sequence of FSX. On the other hand, its a lil more difficult than post processing a existing image although getting into the FSX graphics engine isnt easy either.

Its the same tech used in the DX11 cockpit lighting, so it doesnt matter what FSX is using.
    -JB

So this is an advertisement, not a discussion. Love it

??? Discussion is welcome.
    -JB

My compliments Naruto Kun. Love synthetic vision! Saw the discussion on avsim.com. Also the somewhat 'autistic' or better phrased idiosyncratic response from the Mindstar developer. What was he blabbering about? Hack?

and now for the 1 million dollar question: Does the KA350i's PL-21 system get synthetic vision?
    Anneke

Hello.

The KA350i will not include the SVS in the base package. We are, like Rockwell, going to offer it as part of an addon package.

Thank you.

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by Katoun View Post
    Hello.

The KA350i will not include the SVS in the base package. We are, like Rockwell, going to offer it as part of an addon package.

Thank you.

Kat
    Looking forward to both. Thanks for the update Kat.

Matt
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Anneke View Post
    Also the somewhat 'autistic' or better phrased idiosyncratic response from the Mindstar developer. What was he blabbering about? Hack?
    Nothing worth debating....And Ed Wilson is still a highly competent programmer who holds my deepest respect.
    -JB

Indeed he is! But not so much with respect to his style of communication. But let us return to the topic.
    Thanks for your reply. I think SVS will be a great addon to the KA350i!
    Anneke

A demo of this is the ultimate goal though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9N_PFtBUOA
    -JB

Thanks to Bill Leaming for recording this:

http://youtu.be/1alXZW7EI1Q
    -JB

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto-kun View Post
    Thanks to Bill Leaming for recording this:

http://youtu.be/1alXZW7EI1Q
    Redo that scenario but with weather at minimums and rain, flying from point A to point B. That would be far more impressive and show off the RW capabilities of that display.

It would for sure show the need and use of the instrument but now Bill shows us how accurately it displays the terrain, as you can also see outside and compare.

Great work Jon!

Are you using NEMA data coming out of FSUIPC to drive this or something similar? Very interesting for many purposes in FSX (primarily training for the RW avionics that are currently in use in many aircraft...and the eye candy added to simulated cockpits).
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Nope. Completely independent of FSUIPC.
    -JB

Members who have read this thread: 1