Me-262 wreckage found in the Netherlands.

Thread: Me-262 wreckage found in the Netherlands.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

Me-262 wreckage found in the Netherlands.

This week, near the former Fliegerhorst Deelen (Currently a reserve base for the RNLAF) the wreckage was found of a Messerschmitt Me-262! This particular aircraft was shot down by friendly Flak fire and crashed near the town of Elden on September 12th 1944 and the wreckage was moved to the base and disposed of in a bomb crater.
    The most likely identity of this aircraft and pilot are W.Nr.130026 of 3./KG 51 with registration 9K+AL, flown by Uffz. Herbert Schauder who was killed in the crash.

Some footage of the excavation: http://www.warhistoryonline.com/whot...therlands.html

And a few photos, showing the windscreen, wings, parts of the Jumo 004 engines, nose cone and 30mm cannon: http://www.museumvlbdeelen.nl/me-262-fotos-opgraving/

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

How did they know where to look for the bomb crater?
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    How did they know where to look for the bomb crater?
    They knew the germans used bomb craters to dispose of their trash, and I guess they used arial photos from that time to locate the craters..? A metal detector should do the rest I guess.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Members who have read this thread: 2