Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk Question / Problem.

Thread: Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk Question / Problem.

Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk Question / Problem.

I've been flying the Virtavia A-4 for 3 months now and have been tolerating a problem simply because I like hand flying this little bird so much. When I press Shift + 4, I should get an autopilot panel (apparently). Instead I get this big black box. Thats either a missing bitmap or some other panel.cfg issue. Is this a known issue? Obviously the plane installed OK, because I have been flying it daily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	autopilot_missing.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	13640

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    I've been flying the Virtavia A-4 for 3 months now and have been tolerating a problem simply because I like hand flying this little bird so much. When I press Shift + 4, I should get an autopilot panel (apparently). Instead I get this big black box. Thats either a missing bitmap or some other panel.cfg issue. Is this a known issue? Obviously the plane installed OK, because I have been flying it daily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	autopilot_missing.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	13640
    I'm not sure why that view option was left in. I recall discussion during development that it was felt that the Automatic Flight Control System (AFCS) panel on the left console covered everything (pages 32-33 of the manual) and we didn't need a popup. Easy fix is to comment out the "Window03" line in the panel.cfg file in the "Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk 0-1 Clean/panel" folder as shown below.

Code:
    [Window Titles]
    Window00=Main Panel
    Window01=Radio Stack
    Window02=GPS
    // Window03=Autopilot
    Hope this helps.

It's been awhile since I flew mine, but I took a different approach.

I found an AP from another Virtavia product (Virtavia B-45, I believe), extracted the appropriate files (all beginning with AP) from the cab folder, and placed them in a subfolder under the Skyhawk panel. I named the folder Virtavia_AP. Then it was a matter insuring the proper scripting in the panel.cfg.

Works like a charm.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

. . did the same. Plus the RFN TACAN. And the ARS4 radar . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Icon26

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    I'm not sure why that view option was left in. I recall discussion during development that it was felt that the Automatic Flight Control System (AFCS) panel on the left console covered everything (pages 32-33 of the manual) and we didn't need a popup. Easy fix is to comment out the "Window03" line in the panel.cfg file in the "Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk 0-1 Clean/panel" folder as shown below.

Code:
    [Window Titles]
    Window00=Main Panel
    Window01=Radio Stack
    Window02=GPS
    // Window03=Autopilot
    Hope this helps.
    Well that wasnt the answer I had hoped for!... :-)

I had hoped for an actual working AFCS panel. But no matter. I can always put in the Bendix King Default one just to have it.

E

Speaking of nits, I can't find some of the click spots that should be on the sides of the radar eg to cycle range and some other things. Manual shows these in the illustrations but they aren't there for me. The ones over the knobs eg brightness work but as a result the radar doesn't display very much (using Search mode).
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Speaking of nits, I can't find some of the click spots that should be on the sides of the radar eg to cycle range and some other things. Manual shows these in the illustrations but they aren't there for me. The ones over the knobs eg brightness work but as a result the radar doesn't display very much (using Search mode).
    Look below the backup Attitude Indicator directly beneath the radar screen. The range adjustments are made there. Modes are cycled on the left console.

Members who have read this thread: 2