Scenery/Utilities questions

Thread: Scenery/Utilities questions

Scenery/Utilities questions

FSX Pros,

I'm starting a fresh install of FSX, since I'm TDY and had some time to re-download the plethora of files I've bought through the years. This is also a perfect opportunity to clean up what I really want in my hangar, as well as upgrade some of the utilities that make it look fantastic.

What I have purchased over the years scenery:
    Orbx PNW and Australia and many airports
    Flight 1 GEX/UTX
    Photo real....not gonna use. Looks too muddy down low
    FS Genesis meshes
    Aerosoft Sceneries and airports

Utilties purchased through the years:
    My Traffic X 5.4C
    REX
    Accu Feel

So, having found the thread below, should I just forget about GEX/UTX and go with Orbx FTX Global, vector and Open LC to add the realism and higher fidelity accuracy for the lower level GA/Military flights or does it mesh well with FS Genesis and GEX/UTX?

Anyway, seeing all the great releases and some older one's that finally got fixed, I just had to re-install. Plus it helped that I was able to find an interim joystick until I return and fix my Warthog.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...light=utx+orbx

So, please fire away with your opinions, advice and what has or has not worked for you over the last year.

Cheers,
    Matt
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

IMO all the Orbx stuff is fabulous. I ditched Ultimate Terrain and GSX when Global and Vector came out and am glad I did. They all go together seamlessly. I got Pilots 2010 Mesh as opposed to FSGenesis. and that seems to work well, there is the odd anomaly but I have seen very few.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Am a neophyte on wide coverage, add on scenery. I do have Orbx PNW and PF. They are excellent. Have freeware mesh in the regions I fly. Never went for the GEX/UTX stuff.

Tempted to try FTX Global - can anyone say why this is a "must have"? Are there any disadvantages? What is Vector and Open LC?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    IMO all the Orbx stuff is fabulous. I ditched Ultimate Terrain and GSX when Global and Vector came out and am glad I did. They all go together seamlessly. I got Pilots 2010 Mesh as opposed to FSGenesis. and that seems to work well, there is the odd anomaly but I have seen very few.
    Thanks Naismith. I am leaning toward ditching the UTX and GEX stuff as well. It just seems the more Orbx stuff that releases, the more potential for it to lash with other non-Orbx stuff if switch X isn't set when installing item Y. I am really impressed with what Orbx is putting out and forecasting, just gives immersiveness beyond even what they started with a few years ago.

Matt

I have a lot of UTX and GEX stuff. My 'beef' with it now, is all the "£$%^& updates and how they have to be installed. When doing a reinstall, its takes an age to install UTX and GEX along with all the updates.

It's waaaaaay past time that the installation file had all the updates consolidated and included.
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

LOL! +1^ from former installs.

On a side note, does the larger Orbs stuff ever go on sale? I've bought more than a few of their airports this way and some of the original files, but honestly haven't kept up with prices and sales for last year or so since the fatal crash and deployment.

Matt

I have both UTX/GEX and ORBX Global/Vector/OpenLC Europe. For FSX I am faithful to GEX as I feel it makes my local area look more convincing colour wise. I use the ORBX combination in P3D, simply because GEX is not licenced for P3D, and I must say that it does look very good too. In the end it is a matter of taste and how a specific area "feels" with each product.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    In the end it is a matter of taste and how a specific area "feels" with each product.

That's my feeling now, towards the Orbx stuff versus the Flight1 stuff. It was all not bad in the beginning, but the merging, updates and hoping it all work well together gets a bit old. I think it just simplifies and hopefully in the end, most of what I choose will easily port into Prepar3d too.

Matt

Members who have read this thread: 0