Help Please

Thread: Help Please

Help Please

Hi all,I am about to buy a new system so I can run FSX without it being like a slideshow.These are the specs I think I will go for but what do you think? I know virtually nothing about PC's so any input would be great.Windows 7 Home PremIntel Core I7-4790k @ 4.4GHz Hyperthreaded Quad Core Processor OR Intel Core I5-4690k @ 4.2GHz Quad Core Processor (Not sure on these)8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133MHz C11Samsung 250GB SSDNvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB Graphics CardMotherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-SLI (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX MotherboardRegardsDale

Stick with i7 and aim for more ram than 8 .....16 would be healthier ....

Blog Entries
    Dale I build gamer units LOCALLY ONLY for a living however I agree with Nick N as to what and how to build a great unit for FSX, P3D and X-Plane. I am not bragging but I build some of the fastest and best Flight Simulation hardware for way below what it would cost at a GAMER retailer. Nick is the MASTER BUILDER! So if you are patient in your reading of the following you will find the keys to the kingdom in building and enjoying the FSX/P3D experience...I promise. Read all of this. Make a sandwich and get your favorite beverage and decide to read this until you fully get what Nick is saying. Trust me you will be a very happy FSXer!
    Ted

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-...opic46211.html
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I just put together a system that is almost identical to the recommendations given here. Preliminary test had all slider maxed and I was still getting 20 fps - as limited by my setting. I'll up the rate a bit to maybe 30, but the huge resolution (1600x900) vice 1024x1024 is really, *really* nice. These guys are spot on. The only real difference, is that I stayed with the 4770 not the 4770K as I have no intention of overclocking the CPU. Now if I could just conquer Win7 and it's insatiable appetite to start up a bazzilion programs and try to download the world. I am definitely not going to surf the web with Internet Explorer. I downloaded the Visual Studio suite for re-install and it took me over 30 minutes to clean up all the crap that "came along for the ride" - uninvited. Then I installed Firefox.

Oh, and btw I had no problem registering FSX/Gold edition - so the system must still be operational - or they don't care. But it worked flawlessly - so no worries there.
    "Being good is not enough when you dream of being great"
    Author of NEUWUC family of programs

Thanks for the advice guys I went with the i7 in the end with 16GB RAM. Just another question, what is the best place to install FSX on windows 7?

It does not matter as long as your log on has full rights to the folder.

see this thread post 7

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ues-in-Win7%29

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Get a seperate 256 gig or bigger ssd and install FSX on that. Do not put FSx in teh deafult location it can cause securtiy issues.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

SOH-CM-2023
    If you get a SSD - make sure that it is not treated the same as a HDD by Windows - it gets read to too often which leads to a shorter life. I've just changed my Crucial 128 GB SSD that seems to have reached it TBW limit, for a Samsung 120 GB 840 EVO which comes with Data migration s/w as well as Samsung Magician software that simply can change your settings to give the best reliability to your SSD. Most of my other s/w including FS9 & FSX are on the non OS HDD. I'm running W8.1 64 bit.
    HTH
    Keith

Members who have read this thread: 0