The Swordfish Needs Your Help If You're a 3D Modeler!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Swordfish Needs Your Help If You're a 3D Modeler!

The Swordfish Needs Your Help If You're a 3D Modeler!

Hello SOH world!

I've been having a great time since coming over from IL-2 1946 to CFS3 but I found a plane that needs some help. In MAW the Swordfish has no propeller animation in both external and internal views. In fact, it has no propeller at all. There are five versions of the Swordfish (including the float version) and I've checked them all. The hub (spinner) is spinning in external view, but no blades.

This is outside my abilities, but if there are any 3D modelers out there that can fix this it would be great. Maybe use the prop animation from the Gladiator. I know a lot of you guys are meticulous, but any prop would be better than none even if it wasn't an exact Swordfish prop. I've tried flapping my arms when flying the Swordfish but just can't convince my brain that I should be airborne...lol I also re-installed MAW just to make sure I didn't have a corrupt file but no joy. I guess the other question would be "is everybody else also missing the prop on the Swordfish?"

Its a beautiful 3D model that just needs this finishing touch!

Anyway, thought I would ask if it is not a huge task.

Thanks in advance!

SOH-CM-2020
    Hi Kodiak,

I think adding the prop disk might be complicated, possibly the Gmax source files needed? Looking at other aircraft, the prop disk dds texture is referred to in the main M3D file. The reference is not in any of the Swordfish M3D files in MAW. Possibly if you bodged an entry to the prop disk, you would get an aircraft with the prop constantly a blur, or something like that, if anything at all. I would think the animations would have to be included in the source. Hope this info is correct, I seem to remember some dicussion about this a while ago.

Dai

AFAIK the Swordfish was never finished and the gmax files would be needed to finish it. I don't know if they are still extant.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks for letting me know the state of affairs with the Swordfish, guys!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that someone will see this thread at some point and maybe step in to finish it. It appears that the exterior is finished except for the prop disc, and really the cockpit looks fine also. Maybe someone more picky would try for some more detail in the pit, but the Swordfish appears to be 98% complete. Would be a shame to leave it in that state with its storied history. One of my favorite early war planes, really. But I know I'm late to the party, so this is old news to most other players. Its a beautiful model really. I flew it a lot in IL-2 1946 and hands down the plane models are nicer here in CFS3. Its also working fine with Ankor's self shadowing, so it seems like finishing it up would be a worthwhile project.

Maybe I'll get lucky and one of the 3D modelers working on the new ETO will come over and have a look at it after they have finished their work on ETO. I just made a run on a convoy in a Swordfish tonight and it was hell getting through all that flak bursting around me, and with Ankor's self shadowing in the early morning light it was epic!

Cheers!

P.S. And speaking of ETO, the Lancaster models are just amazing! I'm pretty blown away by all that everyone has done here and can't believe I've just now found it!

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Icon27 Guess what I have ......

yes folks I have it the mesh and all the texture files for two yes two fish. The bad news I have not been motivated to model for about 9 months. I would share the mesh but I forgot where I got it from? it is amazing what i keep on finding on my hd's.

Mathias was the original designer of it. When the first MAW package was being put together, I asked him about the prop. I don't remember his exact words, but I do know it was a conversion of the CFS2 version, just like the HE 111. I think he was just feeling lazy and didn't want to get back into it,LOL

Icon22 That makes sense

Ok - I have his permission to fix it not share it - so I added a prop - who wants to see if it works? That is I'll send you the M3d files

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi Ted,

I'll gladly test your new model files. and with your permission update the Swordfish in the ETO addon with them.

regards Rob.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Ok

couldn't wait - I have attached the sword with a prop. You'll need to rename and such. Not sure of the texture files someone with a hex editor can check that. Don;t have cfs3 running right now so this is best guess from memory
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks so much, NachtPiloten!

Do you have the mesh for the 2 seat and 3 seat models? If you do please please please put a prop on both! I haven't come up to speed on using a hex editor yet, so whoever is helping to add the textures please pull in all the different textures and make stand alones of whatever you can.

This is great news...I've been flying the fish 3 or 4 times a week trying to pretend it has a prop!

I can't help at all with stuff like this at this point, but this prompts me to do something I've not done yet, and that is to make a nice donation to SOH.com Please don't think I'm trying to buy a favor...its not that at all. But I wouldn't be enjoying CFS3 right now if not for this community and this website. So on the 1st when I get my pension I'm going to make a nice donation to SOH. And then next month I'll double it. This is the least I can do, and the only thing I can do to help at this point.

Please let us know when the stand alone(s) are made available for download!

Thank you to everybody involved

Awesome Ted, thanks a lot! I'm also interested in the other models (and the float) if you have the time and inclination. I've done up a new texture for the still prop, as the current one is using the P-47 reflective texture and is black and white and the tip paint ended up on only the face of the blades anyways. This one has it on both sides. Wasn't sure about uploading permissions to put up an m3d which uses the new texture, but here is the texture itself; those who know how can edit their m3d to use it. If all is well with Ted and Mathias I can put up a properly edited m3d that uses it next.
    Attached Files Attached Files

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    couldn't wait - I have attached the sword with a prop. You'll need to rename and such. Not sure of the texture files someone with a hex editor can check that. Don;t have cfs3 running right now so this is best guess from memory
    thank you!

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Awesome Ted, thanks a lot! I'm also interested in the other models (and the float) if you have the time and inclination. I've done up a new texture for the still prop, as the current one is using the P-47 reflective texture and is black and white and the tip paint ended up on only the face of the blades anyways. This one has it on both sides. Wasn't sure about uploading permissions to put up an m3d which uses the new texture, but here is the texture itself; those who know how can edit their m3d to use it. If all is well with Ted and Mathias I can put up a properly edited m3d that uses it next.
    thanks! super quick work

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post

Hi Ted,

Installed ammend model and all went well, looks really good. Gecko grabbed you prop texture and it worked well as well. but I did end up making a new one just to reduce the width of yellow a bit so it matched the width of yellow on the prop blur texture.

Plane looks so much better with a prop. thanks very much.

regards Rob.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Icon26 Ok

If I have time on Wednesday I'll put a prop on the float version. I only have two versions the one I worked on and the float. This sounds silly but just the appreciation expressed by you folks means so much - nice birthday present!

Happy Birthday, NachtPiloten!

Enjoy your birthday Ted! I have enjoyed all your work Ted, you've added a lot to this sim over the years. Excited to hear about the float version!

Rob, not sure how it looks for you, but it seemed pretty close on my setup. The main reason I put the line where I did was if the yellow was any shorter, the side facing the pilot would start to become longer than on the other side.

Also, a note on skins, I was looking around and found the Freeware Flying Stations Swordfish for FSX which is also based on this model. It is available here: http://flyingstations.com/swordfish.html and has a .psd paint kit which shares the same texture mapping as this model. I plan on eventually doing some skins from it in the near(ish) future, once I get some more done on other projects, but wanted to get the word out if others were interested now.

The only other thing we need to get this plane fully up to speed is some pylons. Jaycee did a set (including a conversion for a radar set for a Mk.III) for the older model here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=4483&page=3 I checked it and they don't quite fit the new model. I might be able to get the wing pylons to fit in the right spot (maybe) but sadly the radar and accessories won't fit for sure. Anybody seen Jaycee around? Would need to get his permission before trying to include any of it in the first place.

I'm more than happy to try to do some skins for a Mk.III if someone wants to make the necessary pylons.
    Last edited by gecko; October 28th, 2014 at 22:13.

pylons

Are you asking for pylons to be added to the model or that you want pylons made that resemble what were actually on the plane? Radar - give me a link to pictures and I have sets of AVS radar for all the CC planes we did. That would not be much of an effort.

Cool! Thanks Ted. Yes, I was referring to pylons that look like those installed on the actual aircraft, I think the main ones are a bomb rack for three 250lb bombs or depth charges and rocket rails with the protective plate between them and the fabric of the wings. The radar is a three part deal, with a radome below and an antenna on each side on the outer strutt of the wings. The middle seat has a fairing over it to partially enclose it. Here's a pic I found after a quick look that show the radar and rockets, I'll try to find some better ones soon. http://www.uboat.net/allies/aircraft/swordfish.htm
    Thanks for looking into it!

Here's some of the one in IWM. Apparently missing the antennas on the struts and the pylons for external stores, but shows the main radome, cockpit fairing and exhaust shroud pretty well.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft...s/NF370:1.html

Here is the rocket pylon, this is as installed on a Firefly, but I think it's the same as was used on the Swordfish. http://www.rollmodels.net/nreviews/a...lymk1rkts1.jpg

And the bomb pylon. The small square outboard racks we already have and they work, but the set of three inboard racks we don't have. http://www.scalemates.com/profiles/m...0080&view=list

Let me know if there is anything else, thanks again for looking at it!

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Cool! Thanks Ted. Yes, I was referring to pylons that look like those installed on the actual aircraft, I think the main ones are a bomb rack for three 250lb bombs or depth charges and rocket rails with the protective plate between them and the fabric of the wings. The radar is a three part deal, with a radome below and an antenna on each side on the outer strutt of the wings. The middle seat has a fairing over it to partially enclose it. Here's a pic I found after a quick look that show the radar and rockets, I'll try to find some better ones soon. http://www.uboat.net/allies/aircraft/swordfish.htm
    Thanks for looking into it!
    I am shure I have seen this variant in cfs3 before, can't seem to find it at the present time.

Quote Originally Posted by gosd View Post
    I am shure I have seen this variant in cfs3 before, can't seem to find it at the present time.
    Found it :http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=74&id=2550

Members who have read this thread: 0