Making Gmax Trees... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making Gmax Trees...

Exclamation Got it!!!

I think.

Ok i tried UTs suggestion. at first I didn't think it worked. but as a moved around the tree it lit up depending on the sun angle.

Now i had done a few other things that may have effected it. so I have to do just the model with the transparency. With the self illumination at 100% it was too bright in the sun. So I'm going to do a few and see which looks better with different settings. I'll make them all in the same model to test the group thing as well.

Pictures to come.

Allen,
    If you want to try it with just the transparent material please do. I have to go out for awhile with the family. So it won't be finished till tonite.

Till Later,
    John
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

ok here are a couple screenies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	treesa.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	13550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	treesb.jpg 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	13551

what are your thoughts. should I try a 50% transparency? The other trees in the picture are LW's. They don't light the same way.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

Moving on...

Getting better... Now i just have to work on my alpha channel.

Name:	oaktree2.jpg 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	13555

sorry its dark but it is morning. Atleast now the textures match better.

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    BH,
    I wouldn't blow a fuse over the type of trees too much, oak, pine, birch is a pretty good european mix. You could always mix in different sizes, and have small versions of the trees as bushes. It's the overall colour impression which is possibly more important.

Cheers

Shessi
    Please, let me be a rivet counter for once!

Blood_Hawk, we have maple trees here as well. Stradivari's violin backs and sides are made of maple wood, sometimes "flamed", sometimes "birdseye" maple. Stradivari's birthplace city of Cremona lays only 40km far from here, he didn't buy instrument grade maple wood from Canada!
    Their foliage is already getting bright orange this time of the year.

Some maple trees in the mix, please!

Cheers!
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Trust me Kelti, I plan on some maples and others. I'm looking for some good Chestnuts right now.

What I need is good quality pictures. It seems I'll have to make my own if I want them. I have a few and access to a few more.

The foliage here is already going past. The Red Maples were beautiful this year. Even My big Sugar Maple looked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    Trust me Kelti, I plan on some maples and others. I'm looking for some good Chestnuts right now.

What I need is good quality pictures. It seems I'll have to make my own if I want them. I have a few and access to a few more.

The foliage here is already going past. The Red Maples were beautiful this year. Even My big Sugar Maple looked great.
    John, how about these? European Chestnuts, Maples and, very common here, Walnuts.

I have several of the above trees on my piece of land, last spring I counted over 20 walnuts. There are more pics in the attached zip.

Cheers!
    KH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails European_Chestnut_summer.jpg   European Maple_ summer2.jpg   European_walnut_summer.jpg   European_walnut_drawing.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Kool, Thank you Kelti.

now I need a Silver Birch. I forget the others that I was looking for.

May need a few cottonwood, poplar and ash.

Do you have Cedars?

Icon23 We are becoming CFS2 park rangers......

Kool, Thank you Kelti.

now I need a Silver Birch. I forget the others that I was looking for.

May need a few cottonwood, poplar and ash.

Do you have Cedars?
    Here you go, my friend:

European ash, birch, cedar, oak, white and black poplar. Here the distinction between cottonwood and poplar does not exist. Both white and black poplars produce the same fluffy, furry, cotton-like aerial seeds like American cottonwoods.

The main difference between white and black poplar is the shape and their favourite growth environments. White poplar is what we call here a water tree, it thrives wherever there's a lot of water nearby, preferably along small streams, ponds and river banks. Here you can follow rivers and any kind of streams from the air just by following the white poplars, their shape is akin to any broadleaf tree and their bark almost as white as birch bark is.

As you can see below, black poplars are shaped like a spearhead, they are not as thirsty as the white poplars and they grow very tall and very old. Up until a few decades ago, here in the Po valley, they were commonly planted one on each side of a gateway, or the beginning of a farm entryway, or a country road to mark the entrance point that could be seen from far away, thanks to the height of the tree. Just like two green huge pillars, they can easily reach 40' to 50' of height, about 15 metres, if not more.

Cheers!
    KH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ash_2.jpg   Birch_grove.jpg   Cedar .jpg   Oak_3.jpg   White_poplar_grove_Po_river.jpg   Black_poplar.jpg  

Wohooo Kelti and Blood Hawk,
    Fantastic work! !!

Kelti,

Thank you very much. I should be able to get back to them tonite. These will help a lot.

Gius,

Once I have the individual trees finished, I'm going to send to some for use in your scenery projects. The only down side would be that each tree has to be made to rotate to aircraft. I think that your current euro buildings could use them in place of the ones you have. Speaking of your buildings, I have a few more finished.

I'm considering using the Gerrish textures just for some variety. Its just a thought for now. I'm not sure how to interpret his read me.

I think I've burned out Allen on this one. Sorry Allen.

He deserves just as much of the credit. He has done all of the research into the .asm file coding.

Its definitely a group project.

Blood Hawk,
    Considering the results of your work,
    I'll be glad to replace my trees with yours.
    Best luck,
    Gius

I think I've burned out Allen on this one. Sorry Allen.

He deserves just as much of the credit. He has done all of the research into the .asm file coding.

Its definitely a group project.
    I haven't been doing to much anyway.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Well I have 8 textures finished. Three of them are pine. I do have a beech and ash to add to the mix.

Kelti,
    The pics are great but I'm not sure I can make the textures from them. I'm trying to find images that I can make 1024x1024 textures. So they have to be atleast that big to start with. I think there are a couple in there. They will help me Identify some of the tree types.

Here is a short list of sizes and types...

Pines-not sure of the exact type one might be a fur.
    2m
    5m
    10m
    20m

Birch-I need another pic to make larger ones.
    2m
    5m
    10m

Ash
    10m
    15m

Beech
    10m
    20m

Oak-two different ones so far.
    10m
    20m
    25m

I'll post some pics once they are modeled. so far only the two oaks are modeled. Both of the larger sizes.

Well I have 8 textures finished. Three of them are pine. I do have a beech and ash to add to the mix.

Kelti,
    The pics are great but I'm not sure I can make the textures from them. I'm trying to find images that I can make 1024x1024 textures.....
    Shoot! Some of them were huge, I reduced them 1024x768 before packing them because I was afraid SOH system would have not accepted a large zip file attached to a thread. Had I know better, I would have kept them the size you need.

Which ones do you need? I only have to open up Google pictures and type in the name of the tree in Italian. Then I'll make single zips per each tree keeping the file down to an acceptable size for a thread attachment.

I used the Italian name to be sure Google would have picked European tree pictures. Should you like to give it a try yourself, the names are as follows:
    • Ash=frassino
    • Birch=betulla
    • Cedar=cedro. Keep in mind we have citrus plants spelled in the same way. Also Lebanon Cedars can be found in Southern Med here and there, called Cedro del Libano. I sent you a picture of the tree akin to North American cedars, here a cold climate tree of the evergreen conifer family.
    • Chestnut=castagno
    • Conifer=conifera
    • Elm=olmo
    • Hemlock=abete
    • Maple=acero
    • Oak=quercia
    • Pine=pino
    • Poplar=pioppo
    • Walnut=noce

Extremely common in Europe is the locust tree, called here "robinia pseudo-acacia". Thorny, with small oval leaves gathered around a single stem, it's appreciated by beekeepers, for the clear, flavourful honey produced from locust tree flower nectar. The strong, sweet scent produced by its flowers in spring can be smelled from very far away.
    On the other hand, it can become a pest, up here it is, because it's a fast growing hardwood tree that reproduces itself both by aerial seeds and sprouting new plants from the root network, suffocating other slower growing hardwoods.

Let me know how else I can help you.

There! The attachment was accepted. In it you will find large pictures of all the trees listed above, so that you can reduce them down to the size you need. I also attached a large picture of a Black Locust tree, that I forgot to add in the zip.

Cheers!
    KH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Black Locust.jpg  
    Last edited by kelticheart; October 27th, 2014 at 01:47.

Kelti,
    You have my email, right? Anything you find that might be too big just email me. These are great. It will be a couple days before I dig back into them again. I'm going to finish the ones I have so far. I had to fix all of my alpha channels. The tree trunks were see through.

There are some great raster images but you have to pay for them. Kinda stinks. They'd make things a lot easier. Oh well.

Keep them comeing my friend. The better the tree is isolated the easier it will be to cut out. If you want to help feel free. Might give you a break from those prop textures.

Textures...

Hey all.

Ok I have 9 textures finished so this will be in two parts. You've seen 4 of them.

Name:	bh_oak2.jpg 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	13971
    Oak2 - Same as before.

Name:	bh_oak1.jpg 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	13972
    Oak1 - Same as before.

Name:	bh_birchsm1.jpg 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	13973
    Birch - same as before.

Name:	bh_beech1.jpg 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	13974
    Beech - New.

Name:	bh_ash1.jpg 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	13975
    Ash - New.

Last 4...

Here are the last four textures for now.

Name:	bh_walnut1.jpg 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	13976
    Walnut - New.

Name:	bh_pinesm1.jpg 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	13977
    Small Pine - Same as before.

Name:	bh_pinemd2.jpg 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	13978
    Med Pine - New.

Name:	bh_pinelg3.jpg 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	13979
    Large Pine - New.

Now I realise that the three pines are all different types. Actually I think one is a Fur. I'm running with it anyways.

Kelti,
    If you can find more like that Walnut it would be great. The less background clutter the better.

So thats where I'm at. I have both Oaks and the Ash modeled. only in one size right now. Hope to get some screenies soon.

Till Later,
    John

Looking good.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Here are the last four textures for now.

Kelti,
    If you can find more like that Walnut it would be great. The less background clutter the better.....
    Hi John,

I agree 100% with Allen, they look fantastic!!!

I can search for large size, single trees with little or no background, but let me tell you it's going to be tough. The ones I dug out yesterday were almost the only ones sized according to your needs. Besides, I have no idea where to search, other than in Google pictures.

At this point, I would repeat Shessi's comment of not being too picky, John. What you did is already great with G-max low-poly, well textured tree objects we can use in our sceneries.

I don't think a lot of sim pilots hanging around here would taxi up to a tree after landing and check it out! Bombardiers would concentrate on their aim, rather than linger and observe how beautiful is that patch of maples and birches behind the target......

I'll for what you asked for, but don't go crazy over them!

Cheers!
    KH

Some more trees

Hi John,

the attached is what I could find so far. It's getting tougher, but I'll search more for you tomorrow.

Cheers!
    KH

Thank you Kelti. Your awesome man.

I'll look at those and see what I can do. Its very time consuming so maybe I'll do what I can now and a few more over the winter. I need to keep working in my WWI scenery so I can't let my self get too bogged down counting my own rivets.

The alphas look good too. I had to uses a couple different approaches to get them how I wanted. Those nine came out better then I hoped.

Thank you Kelti. Your awesome man.

I'll look at those and see what I can do. Its very time consuming so maybe I'll do what I can now and a few more over the winter. I need to keep working in my WWI scenery so I can't let my self get too bogged down counting my own rivets.

The alphas look good too. I had to uses a couple different approaches to get them how I wanted. Those nine came out better then I hoped.
    John,

I have a question which may help you better with the tree textures. Since you asked if I could get something like the walnut I sent, that is not a picture but a drawing without any background.

If you prefer drawings instead of real life pictures, I think I can send you several you can use. For any tree I searched, a scientific profile drawn on a blank background was always among the pictures. I'll attach later a few samples.

Cheers!
    KH

If the drawing is life like enough then by all means. What ever you find will be great. Those black poplar will work very well.

More stuff

If the drawing is life like enough then by all means. What ever you find will be great. Those black poplar will work very well.
    John, try this link. The pictures are gorgeous but I cannot get Google to translate it and identify the trees. If you can do it, I think this is some of the best I have seen so far.

http://dohoafx.com/2013/11/60-hinh-v.../#.VFDcFhZEXb0

Other than this, I spoke too soon. Most of the drawing have symbols or transparent lettering over the trees. I guess to avoid reapers like me getting the image and use it commercially.....

The attached are the only ones suitable for your purposes. The maple is stunning, the ash quite less. I truly hoped a lot I could get similar images for other trees but no cigar.

Cheers!
    KH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ash.jpg   European Maple 1024x1024.jpg  

Library Staff
    Have you seen this site chaps?

http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtm...lv1&media_type=

That link takes you to trees in general, but you can type in the specific type of tree you want.

Kevin

Members who have read this thread: 2