FSGenesis 19m for Alaska?

Thread: FSGenesis 19m for Alaska?

FSGenesis 19m for Alaska?

Hello. I was looking at adding their 19.2m Canadian terrain mesh (FS2004), but can't seem to find one for Alaska. Anybody know if they ever made one? Figured I'd get a quicker answer here than wait for their response over the weekend. Thanks. Pat

Look for Alaska_1.zip through Alaska_4.zip from Raimondo Taburet over at Flightsim - his stuff stands up with the best meshes out there.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I may have to try that one if I can't find Tyme's. Thanks. Edit: Ah, that's 38.2m, already have that one. I wanted the 19m to match my United States scenery. Thanks.
    Last edited by patful; October 18th, 2014 at 14:00.

patful, may I ask why you use 38 & 19 Mesh? Have you figured out how to eliminate the drawbacks?

I have all of fsgenesis mesh including all the 38 and 19 meter stuff but don't use it for two reasons. First, texture tends to pop into view a lot. And second, too many airports are either on a pedestal or in a ditch, even 20 feet up or down. I finally gave it up and use only 76m worldwide except for mesh that came with a program like misty fjords. I'd like to use the better stuff but those drawbacks are too much.

Quote Originally Posted by rich12545 View Post
    patful, may I ask why you use 38 & 19 Mesh? Have you figured out how to eliminate the drawbacks?
    As for the sunken and elevated airports, yeah, I have noticed that, but I also saw it with just the 76m. The terrain detail is well worth the trade-off to me. I haven't had any texture problems, but I mostly fly low and slow, so that might make it easier on my system. But I also fly Warbirdsim's P-51's at 300 knots at treetop level, still no texture problems. The only other problem I had was the mountains tended to suddenly pop into view, but that was fixed by installing LOD 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 along with the 76, 38, and 19 to smooth the transitions.

It would be interesting to watch you take off from inside a 20 foot ditch lol. Or land in one.

I fly only low and slow up to about 180 kts. And it is only the textures in mountains that pop into view as I recall after reading your post. I guess it bothers me more than you. I have all the buffer mesh also. If it was only this I'd keep the 38-19 mesh but there are too many 10-20 foot differentials for my taste. When setting up a flight plan around hills or mountains, I never know what's going to happen so they need to be made only between known airports or both need to be tested ahead of the flight. I've found only a few elevated of maybe five feet at 76m so that isn't too bad. Anyway, I thought maybe you had solved the problems somehow.

Charter Member 2016
    It would be interesting to watch you take off from inside a 20 foot ditch lol. Or land in one.
    I keep a copy of ADE9 and SBuilder on hand at all times so that when I see this, I can quickly fix the issue - right now, I think I've fixed more than 500 of them. I'll never redistribute my work because many of the ones I've fixed for 19m mesh are other peoples work originally, but I do this because it rarely takes more than 10 minutes anymore to not only fix, but enhance, many of the airports I see that need fixing!
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Wow, it would be very helpful if you were to distribute the files. If you don't feel comfortable posting them somewhere, perhaps by email to interested parties with a caveat that some of the work belongs to other people. Unless some of that work is payware.

Charter Member 2016
    Wow, it would be very helpful if you were to distribute the files. If you don't feel comfortable posting them somewhere, perhaps by email to interested parties with a caveat that some of the work belongs to other people. Unless some of that work is payware.
    The main thing is that almost all of these 500 airports are converted from FSX - they won't really be of that much use unless you are willing to learn how to convert things from FSX yourself. I could easily enough send you afcads, mesh corrections, and etc, but without the FSX libraries (ORBX, too - I love their freeware in FS9) converted for yourself, they would be of little use. I also modify stock flatten files, which makes it difficult to send one useless FSX conversion without sending them all - if I didn't send them all, you'd have worse mesh problems than the ones you wanted to fix!
    My point in posting what I did above is to state that with practice and some resourcefulness, the problems that high-res mesh causes can be mitigated to some extent...
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Hi,
    I will now maybe hijack your original question? As I have nearly the same about FSGenesis mesh but for other country does anybody here have expirience with their Italy Mesh? and can recommend it?

best regards,
    Thomas

I have skills...for flying over said ditch and diverting to another airport. I HATE crashing. As EMatheson said, the airports can be fixed with ADE. I've worked with ADE a bit, but haven't got around to tackling that particular problem yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Txmmy83 View Post
    Hi,
    I will now maybe hijack your original question? As I have nearly the same about FSGenesis mesh but for other country does anybody here have expirience with their Italy Mesh? and can recommend it?
    Unfortunately, I've only purchased North American scenery so far. Even with sales, it gets a little expensive, so I'm going at it slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Txmmy83 View Post
    Hi,

best regards,
    Thomas
    I think everybody would agree that all the mesh from fsgenesis is fine.

how are they compatible to other Products like Flight1 Ultimate Terrain & Ground Enviroment etc. or is it all handable through library priorities?

maybe I get the Italy Mesh

It's totally compatible with those two and anything else I can think of. Even other mesh. Just make sure the mesh you want to see is lower in the scenery list (opposite of other scenery). I keep my main mesh folder at the top to ensure that.

Lightbulb

Just make sure the mesh you want to see is lower in the scenery list (opposite of other scenery). I keep my main mesh folder at the top to ensure that.
    I always read that FS2004 will choice the higher definition mesh available in the library ... and so the order in the sceney library is unimportant ......

Indeed that is the normal view, personally I group the mesh in 19/38/76m sections in the scenery library so I can easily go back and deactivate.

ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Navtech View Post
    I always read that FS2004 will choice the higher definition mesh available in the library ... and so the order in the sceney library is unimportant ......
    That is true, FS9 will use the highest res mesh it can find. The only time priority matters is if you have two sets of mesh with the same resolution. In that case, FS9 will use the mesh with lower priority.

As an example, if you have 38m mesh for Alaska in addition to the Glacier Bay package by Holger Sandmann, you would want the Alaska mesh above the Glacier Bay entries in the Scenery Library.

GB includes a custom 38m mesh, so you want to see it instead of the Alaska mesh.

For this reason, in FS9 only, it is recommended that global mesh addons are kept at the top of the Scenery Library so that addons with local mesh (honestly, there aren't that many) will have their mesh displayed instead of the global mesh.

cheers,
    Lane

Members who have read this thread: 0