i hate to bring this up again,

Thread: i hate to bring this up again,

i hate to bring this up again,

but ive been looking at new PCs still ,,im still going to buy one..several people here had attempted to help me make a list of components to build my own..and even to use my box and power supply,as its a 750w,but im too dumb to do this...atleast its how i feel when i try to make a list of needed things.

so heres my new delema..everyone has told me not to use AMD for the cpu and graphics..but Toms hardware is saying the new processors are just fine to use..plenty of "power" ext..but toms doesnt tell me if it will work with FSX as i was told FSX doesnt like AMD processors..that intel is the best..but if i bought one of the AMD 3.9 mhz cpu and a one Gb graphics card..why wont this work?..these are cybertron "gaming" pcs im looking at..and only about 500 bucks...

now..i am not argueing at all...id like honest,polite responses,with some explanations,rather than..AMD is junk or something.
    Thanks much Dave

Dave, I am no expert but have build about five or six computers from scratch. From here I can't say AMD is not good because I have never used it. I too have heard to stay away from those processors. You must remember to get a processor whether AMD or Intel that matches your motherboard. The pins must fit perfectly. The number of pins usually is referred to by the LGA number. In my case 2011.

You can adapt your video card to fit the slots in the motherboard. In my case I prefer Nvidia. I have used Radeon in the past and have settled with Nvidia GeForce. Presently a GTX 780.

It really isn't complicated. Once you have done it you will most likely build your own from then on. I buy most of my replacement parts from New Egg. The staff there is very helpful when you have a question.

Hope this helps.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Dave, the PC that I put together after my last one basically fried itself has an AMD 3.9 processor. I haven't had a bit of trouble with it and I've had FS9, FSX and now P3D_V2.4. I don't know why AMD is a no-no, but in this one instance it's worked flawlessly. Many folks in the sim world, both here and at Lockheed/Martin feel that Flightsim and NVidia go hand in hand. It's just a foregone conclusion that if you are into flightsimming then you have an NVidia card. . .no other options, lol. You know as well as I do that if I came on and said every other card is crap. . .eventually this thread would be shut down, lol. Everyone has their own preferences and will swear by the card they're using. . .to each his own. . .but it does seem that most prefer NVidia and it's the only brand I've ever used.

Dave,here you find the answers to all your questions.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/foru...bible-by-nickn

Mike

I have just ordered the parts for my new machine from Newegg... they are in shipment. I've only used Intel in all my machines. In the old days (aka 1990s, AMD was looked down upon, but I can't say one way or the other today. I know many folks use off-the-shelf computers (ie Dell, Toshiba, etc) that come equipped with AMD processors. When it comes to computers, as most things, you generally get what you pay for. In my 25 years of serious computing, I've only had one Intel CPU failure, and that happened when the glue that held the heatsink/fan broke loose. I don't always go for the latest and greatest, but try to buy with long term useage as a goal. And just for an example the machine I'm retiring is now 10 years old - but I'll keep the fans and power supply, audio card, and of course, the standard box. Memory cards are going to a friend that needs them really badly for FSX.

Parts total was a smidge over $1,000. About half of buying a new machine of equal capacity, and a little over what I wanted to spend - mainly because I got a second memory card - it's always good to have at least two in case one fails, you can still use the machine until a replacement can be had. I've had a couple of cards go.

I've always used a local fellow to build my machines, but when I found out about newegg I thought I'd give it a go on my own. It's not rocket science to put it together - afterall, I have several examples of previous machines laying around. It's admitedly scary, but I've always enjoyed a challenge.

Good luck!
    "Being good is not enough when you dream of being great"
    Author of NEUWUC family of programs

I built many computers for FSX and other gaming pc's over the years.

What you read on Tom's Hardware website is related to modern time games. They, in general, rely more on the gpu then on the cpu, and AMD has done a great job for that market.

Now FSX is somewhat outdated, and relies mainly on the cpu. I can confirm by experience that FSX will run better on an Intel processor, and you will have smoother graphics using a NVidia graphics card.

As an example: I was using a 512Mb GForce 8800 gt with an Intel Q6600 and reached 25-30mbps with medium high settings. Only thing I saw that could improve, was that distant scenery objects would pop up all of a sudden when you got closer.
    A freind had a 1 year old AMD card w 2 MB memory he wanted to cell, so I was willing to buy it if it would improve the scenery in FSX. So I removed the nvidia drivers from my computer, swapped the graphics cards, installed the latest AMD drivers, started tweaking FSX from a new/clean fsx.cfg file. I could not get the framerate to reach more than 20-25 fps, with settings a medium. And scenery was showing all kinds of issues.
    As a result I gave the AMD card back to my friend and put the GForce card back in my pc.

I build a new fsx pc 2 years ago, ising an i7 2700 and 2 Gb NVidia graphics card, spending just over $600. Even an i5 cpu will do great for FSX.

There are multiple forums, where you can read that, for FSX, Intel and NVidia is the way to go, with more technical details.

Again, for the modern games AMD is definitely a great option, just not for FSX.

I understand the dilemma, as you can only spend your money once, and want the the best you can afford. Take everyone's word for it and go with Intel and NVidia.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Hi Dave,
    I've been using AMD, both CPU and GPU, and am satisfied. For the same amount of money you can buy or put together a new system that will be pretty much equivalent. The advantage of putting one together is the OS can be reused if you upgrade and crapware is not an issue. It's a lot simpler to put a computer together than hooking up a 7.1 audio system. Running all those wires is a pain. Prior to the introduction of Windows putting together a computer and getting all the proper drivers, so that things would work properly, was a real nuisance but now it's not a factor. I used to alternate CPU and GPU manufacturers and have always gotten better performance with AMD. I haven't done any comparisons with supposively equivalent hardware and can only speak from personal experience. The last time I upgraded was when Flight was introduced. Make sure Windows and FSX are on an SSD.
    Jim F.

Hi Dave, I have built my most recent PC (2 yrs ago this Nov) using an AMD FX-8150 3.6ghz-4.2ghz CPU and I run an nvidia GTX 770 4GB GFX card. I am very happy with my build and it cost less than $1000 to build. I get anywhere from mid - high 20 ' s FPS in full blown areas like Seattle with Orbx scenery and light bloom on and REX with updates every 15 mins, up to high 80's FPS in more rural areas and high altitude. I also have clouds set to full density, and the internal FPS limiter of FSX set to unlimited. Just my experience.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

There's nothing inherently wrong with AMD. I just found that thre driver support sucks.

My NVidia laptop GPU is a bit older and got recently bumped to the "legacy" branch of NVidia's Linux drivers. This means that I won't get any new features or improvements made in any new driver generation, but unlike AMD, NVidia at least vows to keep the legacy Linux drivers compatible with any new versions of other dependencies in Linux' internal driver structure (XServer). AMD, on the other hand, never did this and, as a result, you're stuck with very slow third-party open source drivers if you want to stay up-to-date on other Linux driver components (XServer).

If you need a comparison, try this one: Both NVidia/Intel and AMD make burgers, but the former's are a bit more pricey while offering a bit better sauce and spicing on the meat. But in the end, you'll have something to eat from either one.

thanks to all for the thoughts,ideas,and suggestions...im now even more confused..lol...

Dave,

Go to www.ecollegepc.com , And do their Intel Custom Builder option. Use all the goodies that have been recommended, within your budget. The'll build the computer in a few days, and ship it for free.

Over the last decade I've built 3 with them. Support is EXCELLENT, and the product is top quality. Always been real performers. And nearly half the price of similar machines.

- Can't go wrong!
    Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Blog Entries
    Dave you can use AMD and it will run FSX, P3D and X-Plane 10.3 but for optimal performance and tweaking INTEL HASWELL still runs circles around AMD's best processors! AMD support sucks to the heavens too. they make APPLE LOOK GOOD!

Go to Nick's site and start reading here:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-...opic46211.html

Read here just before the picture of Harry Morgan as Col Potter:
    I am going to start with a few statements I have read in forums over the years and then comment.
    <o></o
    >

THEN SKIP DOWN TO:

IN THE BEGINNING, THE USER CREATED THE SYSTEM .....

CHAPTER 1, VERSE 1
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

thanks again guys..

Members who have read this thread: 0