FSX w/Windows 7?

Thread: FSX w/Windows 7?

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

FSX w/Windows 7?

It's getting to be that time now, and I'll probably be making the switch to a new OS soon. WXP is just too risky. I've been told Windows 7 is quite compatible with FS9 as long as the video card and drivers are up to the job and up to date, respectively. I've got both FS9 and FSX on the same WXP machine. With Windows 7, can it handle FSX without strain on the same machine w/FS9?

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    It's getting to be that time now, and I'll probably be making the switch to a new OS soon. WXP is just too risky. I've been told Windows 7 is quite compatible with FS9 as long as the video card and drivers are up to the job and up to date, respectively. I've got both FS9 and FSX on the same WXP machine. With Windows 7, can it handle FSX without strain on the same machine w/FS9?
    Well, I've got FSX and FS9 installed on my Win7 PC. Along with P3Dv2, DCS, Flight, XPlane (Demo), Flightgear and about a million other non-flight simulator programs and games. Running on 3 or 4 years now without a reinstall of the OS? And everything ticks along quite well.

Took the leap from XP to Win7 a few months back and have both FS9 and FSX running very smoothly. I had a steeper learning curve with Win7 than either FS9 or X!

I did not have to reinstall FS9. My FS's are on separate HDDs away from the OS. Just had to acquaint Wimn7 and the FSs.
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    There'll be no troubles with Win 7. It's by far a superior OS to XP.

8 on my laptop does the demo of FSX without issue....but I'm yet to try likewise on 10, but both 8 and 10 will be less resource-hungry than their predecessors....particularly Vista...which was comparatively a dog of an OS simply released too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    There'll be no troubles with Win 7. It's by far a superior OS to XP.

8 on my laptop does the demo of FSX without issue....but I'm yet to try likewise on 10, but both 8 and 10 will be less resource-hungry than their predecessors....particularly Vista...which was comparatively a dog of an OS simply released too soon.
    Now come on mate, you have to get the newest and the shiniest ..................................... consume, consume, consume!!!
    Don't tell me you weren't in the queue for the newest all singing all dancing iPhone??

Me a cynic??
    Sure am.

On the subject at hand, couldn't agree more, Win7 runs FS9 with everything loaded (Including the Admiral's Medals) at warp speed and FSX at a level that is really satisfying as well.
    Much as I liked XP, with the exception of XP 64, I can't imagine not using Win7 64.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

This item has been discussed many, many times over the years.

Both FS9 and FSX (with or without Acceleration) run completely happily - in my experience - under any version of Windows (both 32- and 64-bit) with a little care. My system has 'upgraded' over the years from XP to Win8.1 (64-bit) with only a few issues along the way.

The rules for a happy system are:
    • Don't use the default installation paths. C:\FS9\ and C:\FSX\ are good.
    • Do run as Administrator.
    • Don't use any Compatibility Mode.
    • Turn off User Account Control.

It seems to be as simple as that.

Easiest to keep control of? Win7 every time.

Dave

Members +
    re:
    he rules for a happy system are:

• Don't use the default installation paths. C:\FS9\ and C:\FSX\ are good.- Why ever not? If UAC is turned off, use the default install path!
    • Do run as Administrator. - Never had to do this!
    • Don't use any Compatibility Mode. Never had to use any compatibility settings!
    • Turn off User Account Control. - YES!! then install where the installer wants to go!

My very happy system has had the UAC turned off & all my installs... FS9 x2, FSX & P3D all installed into their default directories.
    NEVER a problem, ever!
    I'm using Windows7 64bit 4gb ram.
    Far too many urban legends out there! Has anyone actually tried this? or just quoting what other people have claimed?
    Try setting the UAC slider right down & then install into the default directory. It just makes life a lot easier as there are installers that do look for the defaut directory!
    Last edited by zswobbie1; October 15th, 2014 at 03:05.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Now come on mate, you have to get the newest and the shiniest ..................................... consume, consume, consume!!!
    Don't tell me you weren't in the queue for the newest all singing all dancing iPhone??

Me a cynic??
    Sure am.

On the subject at hand, couldn't agree more, Win7 runs FS9 with everything loaded (Including the Admiral's Medals) at warp speed and FSX at a level that is really satisfying as well.
    Much as I liked XP, with the exception of XP 64, I can't imagine not using Win7 64.
    I wouldn't buy Apple crap if you held a gun to my head.
    Their solution to their poor working conditions leading to suicides by workers jumping....was to install catch nets.
    Not my idea of a socially responsible company...whose prime directive is to hide income to avoid paying taxes.... the ACCC is now chasing them. Jobs liked the Beatles' music so stole their name...and was sufficiently arrogant as to admit the fact. WHEN Apple Label pushed them the agreement was made they [Jobs] would keep out of the music game.
    2 years later there was iTunes.

It's no fluke that the world's most profitable company is also the world's worst ....apart from Union Carbide....they killed more people [so far...but I'm sure Apple will try harder]....

Windows 8 apparently has issues with randomly disconnecting flight sticks if power saving for the USB ports is not turned off. Windows 7 works well and is just about the perfect match for FSX.

As for phones...well, I'm one of the four people on the globe using and being happy with Windows Phone 8. Coming from a Linux user, this might mean a lot. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Windows 8 apparently has issues with randomly disconnecting flight sticks if power saving for the USB ports is not turned off.
    That is the only issue I'm experiencing with Windows 8.1. I can never figure the benefit of power saving for a desktop. For a laptop that has a battery supply, yes .. but not for a desktop.

I have the power saving turned off for the USB ports, but it still occurs on startup. Not always, but every once in awhile. I have to unplug and re-plug the joystick into the USB port to get the PnP to correctly recognize it.

My apologies for taking this thread to another subject. As you were...
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    That is the only issue I'm experiencing with Windows 8.1. I can never figure the benefit of power saving for a desktop. For a laptop that has a battery supply, yes .. but not for a desktop.
    USB power saving for a desktop is a bit beyond me, too, but throttling the CPU and GPU isn't the worst idea unless you want to heat your mancave with your PC in the winter. Also electricity use, energy crisis, global warming, blah, blah.

I have the power saving turned off for the USB ports, but it still occurs on startup. Not always, but every once in awhile. I have to unplug and re-plug the joystick into the USB port to get the PnP to correctly recognize it.
    Bummer. Especially since FSX seems to forget joystick assignments when they are accidentially plugged into another port.

Win7 and FSX do fine together at my system. Win7 in general could be comparable to XP, IMHO.
    The only thing (is it Win7-FSX specific?) I encounter is the task switching. I need that for development. Switching from FSX to Windows, is OK, but going back, I need to do that via the Task Manager. I just need to hit the process FSX to get back into the sim. I'm used to it now, but it is a little strange eh... Just clicking the FSX icon on the taskbar namely doesn't work, results in black screen (no crash, but only nothing on the screen). But I might be doing something wrong...

That's it. No problems here if I remember well.
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

USB power saving for a desktop is a bit beyond me, too, but throttling the CPU and GPU isn't the worst idea unless you want to heat your mancave with your PC in the winter. Also electricity use, energy crisis, global warming, blah, blah.

Bummer. Especially since FSX seems to forget joystick assignments when they are accidentially plugged into another port.
    Hhahaha.. I have a digital thermometer right above the computer in my mancave, and it does give me a couple extra degrees of warmth in the winter.

I should add to this subject that I solved the USB/joystick issue with Win8. When I upgraded to Win8.1 the issue returned. I'm still experimenting to see what might be causing it (like conflict with other USB devices on a hub, etc.).

As for the main subject on this thread, I elected to go with Win8/8.1 when I got my new computer. My logic is that if MS will no longer support XP, they will someday drop Win7. I believe Win10 is just around the corner??

I've worked with XP, Win7 and Win8 and see little difference between the later two OS except for some Start Menu issues. My wife still has Win7 on her laptop, and I run both FSX and FS9 under Win8.1 with no problems.

My installs follow the parameters outlined by zswobbie1, except for the UAC. As long as you are full admin and install outside the standard location, I've had no issues with the UAC and gives me a warm fuzzy to have a little extra security on the Windows folders.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Only thing I can think of is some folks need to install the vista version of uiautomationcore.dll (I've never had to). Maybe it has to do with the language version of windows, don't know. OTOH, for FSX you will have the option of going with DX10 graphics, though that requires some attention to details.

scott s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutcheeseblend View Post
    Win7 and FSX do fine together at my system. Win7 in general could be comparable to XP, IMHO.
    The only thing (is it Win7-FSX specific?) I encounter is the task switching. I need that for development. Switching from FSX to Windows, is OK, but going back, I need to do that via the Task Manager. I just need to hit the process FSX to get back into the sim. I'm used to it now, but it is a little strange eh... Just clicking the FSX icon on the taskbar namely doesn't work, results in black screen (no crash, but only nothing on the screen). But I might be doing something wrong...

That's it. No problems here if I remember well.
    Alt-tab.....and enter ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Alt-tab.....and enter ...
    Somehow, this doesn't work fluently... Anyway, this can't be called a problem

About, uiautomationcore, I needed to install that also. ATC will stop after a quarter or so, when this dll isn't installed.
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Dutcheeseblend View Post
    The only thing (is it Win7-FSX specific?) I encounter is the task switching. I need that for development. Switching from FSX to Windows, is OK, but going back, I need to do that via the Task Manager.
    When you put FSX in windowed mode before you switch to Windows you can use alt-tab to switch between application.

Cheers,
    Huub

Solar Panels.
    Should be more of them.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Energy storage.
    Should more of it.
    Fixed. 'Cause that's the problem with renewables.

Members who have read this thread: 1