Next 2D Panel on-the-go ... C46

Thread: Next 2D Panel on-the-go ... C46

Next 2D Panel on-the-go ... C46

Thought I'd do something a little different from those Vietnam-era Century series fighters, et al ....and fiddle with one of those things that has fans going round and round...

Always 'fun' cobbling photos together...then extracting/deleting yokes...and finding 'ideal' gauges as are in those photos.... sometimes it takes forever....this may be one of them...particularly if I also meddle with the ECU....

Early days [though the yokes have already been extracted]...

Attachment 13274

Hey, Jafo, looks right out of a scene from "Ice Pilots"! Don't mismanage those R-2800's or you will get a telling off from Old Joe!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Although I never liked 2d panels (even in FS9), this one (and the others you have made) are looking very good!

Can you tell me what C46 is available for FSX? I always liked the looks of that plane.

This immaculate example is for sale btw:http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/...D/1775743.html

Just a quart of a million$

From the readme...
    VISUAL MODEL. Master work: Libardo Guzman, Program support: Luis Felipe Abad, Details and instructions: Tom Gibson and Greg Pepper
    ANIMATION. Libardo Guzman, Tom Gibson and Greg Pepper.
    PANEL AND V.C. PANEL: Libardo Guzman, Willy McCoy, and Cliff Presley.
    Many GAUGES by Doug Dawson.
    SOUND: Sound package by Mike HAMBLY, Benoit PLAMONDON, & Mark CRANSTON (Aeromusica)
    TEXTURES.
    AEROCONODOR: Main work by Greg Pepper . Crew and other small work by Libardo Guzman and Camilo Luengas, who made some reworks for this livery. Blurred prop by BananaBob. Some ID corrections by Camilo Luengas.
    BASE MODEL: Main work by Greg Pepper . Repaint by LIBARDO GUZMAN.
    FLYING TIGERS: Main work by Greg Pepper . Repaint by LIBARDO GUZMAN
    AERONORTE: Main work by Greg Pepper . Repaint by LIBARDO GUZMAN
    EVERTS AIR FUEL: Repaint by Brian Gladden
    USAAF repaint and texture improvements by Cliff Presley. Blurred prop by BananaBob.

Bit of a break....MotoGP officialling at Phillip Island....and now back at the 46.

Looks a bit odd without the yokes.....lot more to do with the gauges, but the ECU is the original working GAU 'inserted' into the Panel.
    As always...working out what gauge is what is the bane of my existence...

Attachment 13554

Still 11 gauges to 'work out' ....looks like 3 will be twin needle fuel qs, and a 'total q' or fuel-flow...and there's probably a cowl-flaps somewhere...

But it's looking 'tidier' ...

Attachment 13556

Coming along...finally...
    Educated guesses re the obscured gauges [though 3 identical Fuel Qs is a bit odd...probably need to reference aux's, etc] ... and finally have those 'extracted' Yokes and pedestals working [even put them in the exact-same location pixel-wise to the photo].

Looks more like a plane now.... next is to work out what the radio gear is.... and various warning lights ....dunno where the landing gear lights are/should be...

Then to chuck some glass in the windahs ...

Attachment 13600

Just about done...
    'If only' I knew what some of those warning lights did .....that'd finish it...

Attachment 13635
    Had to switch in a few more 'layers' to solve some mask issues....but it works...

...bump...
    Interested to try this out in fsx :- )

I'll upload it soonish....but first need to get the VC to 'match' the 2D a little more...

C-46 Tanks

The C-46 had 3 tanks in each wing, Front, Center and Rear and 3 double-needle gauges. 236, 285 and 171 US gal respectively. The Rear Tank was often not used in civil usage,
    and many civil operators had much modified panels. The South American ones usually retained the military configuration and the Superchargers. I think the Everts one is a C-46F.
    The Quadrant which extends back between the Pilots and has most of the controls, is not feasible to include in a 2D flying panel. Personally for my WWII C-46A I use three 2D panels, The Flying Panel, the Overhead Panel, and the Quadrant. Two 22inch monitors as a single 3840x1080 resolution, I don't use VC panels. There is a lot of information on the C-46 panel around. Have fun

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alexdan View Post
    The C-46 had 3 tanks in each wing, Front, Center and Rear and 3 double-needle gauges. 236, 285 and 171 US gal respectively. The Rear Tank was often not used in civil usage,
    and many civil operators had much modified panels. The South American ones usually retained the military configuration and the Superchargers. I think the Everts one is a C-46F.
    The Quadrant which extends back between the Pilots and has most of the controls, is not feasible to include in a 2D flying panel. Personally for my WWII C-46A I use three 2D panels, The Flying Panel, the Overhead Panel, and the Quadrant. Two 22inch monitors as a single 3840x1080 resolution, I don't use VC panels. There is a lot of information on the C-46 panel around. Have fun

Alex
    Ah....thanks re the tank info....I'll redo the gauges to suit both size and type.
    I have no problems with the quadrant and don't have it as a popup at all.
    As for 'lot of information on the c-46 panel' I'm not seeing it.....what I'd like is keyed image/drawing indicating what each gauge and light is...AND relevant to this particular panel ver [there appear to be squillions]....

Yes, the info on the military versions is standard. The civilian versions are all over the place. Your CAF panel version.
    Lower Left panel - Heater temp?, Suction, masked, ADF. Front tank, Center tank, Rear tank, Oil quantity, Unknown, under.
    Lower Right panel. Flaps, unknown, Left hyd, right hyd, voltmeter, 3 reds and covered switch, unknown, under.
    Center Upper Panel, 2 red fire lights. Two red, two orange probably low pressure lights Fuel, oil. Engine gauges are standard C-46.
    Radios 3 greens one orange - maybe 3 greens and Gear in transit? You would need someone with personal familiarity with this aircraft, otherwise have to make educated guess.

Regards

Alex

Yes, the info on the military versions is standard. The civilian versions are all over the place. Your CAF panel version.
    Lower Left panel - Heater temp?, Suction, masked, ADF. Front tank, Center tank, Rear tank, Oil quantity, Unknown, under.
    Lower Right panel. Flaps, unknown, Left hyd, right hyd, voltmeter, 3 reds and covered switch, unknown, under.
    Center Upper Panel, 2 red fire lights. Two red, two orange probably low pressure lights Fuel, oil. Engine gauges are standard C-46.
    Radios 3 greens one orange - maybe 3 greens and Gear in transit? You would need someone with personal familiarity with this aircraft, otherwise have to make educated guess.

Regards

Alex
    Yes, what I've come up with is similar to that....but here's a query....those fuel capacities....they'd be totals per pair meaning around 700gal overall, correct?
    So the front for eg would max at 118 per each side of the gauge?
    At the moment I just have them both giving the same reading per gauge....so there's 3 readings, not 6 ...
    Not sure how much ability there is to mod the aircraft.cfg to get 6 readings....ie. the correct naming of each tank...

No, these are individual fuel tank capacities, 1834 gals total. And 39.8 US gals oil in each nacelle.

Alex

No, these are individual fuel tank capacities, 1834 gals total. And 39.8 US gals oil in each nacelle.

Alex
    OK...I have 3 twin gauges showing 6 tanks...with the capacities you listed above...though the math won't add up to 1834...
    I think it's a typo...1384 is how my math calls it ...

Here's a pic of them in action....really had to guess at units/scale...

Attachment 13929

Yokes can be hidden via hotspot, and the 4-switch 'panel' below the left side is for the popups instead of using icons...

Yeah, typo. Looking good...

Used the covered switch as a fuel dump...to see if all the gauges responded ok...which they did.

Here's what the critter looks like from the outside...at YMML.
    Kinda fake livery...so the call is actually my old man's Ham call.... VK3 DEK ....sorta looks the part, though...

Attachment 13998

Now I need to get all the gauges 'matching' with glass and night-lighting....then to work out 'what-to-do' with the VC ...

The three greens between the radios are marked, from top, "Left", "Right" and "Tail". The Orange would be " in transit".
    The three buttons under the Fire Lights are marked "Bell-Cutoff".

Alex

The three greens between the radios are marked, from top, "Left", "Right" and "Tail". The Orange would be " in transit".
    The three buttons under the Fire Lights are marked "Bell-Cutoff".

Alex
    Ah...now that helps a bit...but just guessing then that 'bell-cutoff' closes each of the 3 tanks ? ...

Being under the Fire Lights I would suspect being associated with those. But why three. Never seen those before on any other C-46. "China Doll" has three vaguely similar buttons on a small red panel to the right of the Radios. Markings are not readable. Curious..

Being under the Fire Lights I would suspect being associated with those. But why three. Never seen those before on any other C-46. "China Doll" has three vaguely similar buttons on a small red panel to the right of the Radios. Markings are not readable. Curious..
    With updated radios, etc .... perhaps they're OMI lights [I'd originally set the green ones as such]...

Any luck on completing this panel? It's looking great so far and I for one would love to try it in FSX
    Cheers,
    Alex ("Badger")

My Aviation Content: [Blog] , [YouTube] & [Twitch]
    Favorite Aircraft: FSX Grumman G-21 Goose with [Redux] , [Flight dynamics] , [Sounds] & [RealEngine]

Quote Originally Posted by Badger85 View Post
    Any luck on completing this panel? It's looking great so far and I for one would love to try it in FSX
    I've been sidetracked from panels for ages lately thanks to Bjoern's great FSX rework of the Doughbree L39C Albatros. There's about 2600 different paints/aircraft.....
    ...I'll try not to do all of them....
    Once I've uploaded them I'll get back into some panels [including a 2D for the L39].... not even sure where I was at with the C46....seems like months ago...

Members who have read this thread: 3