London-Melbourne 2014: P3D - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: London-Melbourne 2014: P3D

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    . . . . .Just seen your reply, the txt file doesn't have any data in either, I'll have to think about what might be causing that. When it's running is there a load of info being displayed in the DOS window?
    No it just displays the initial header with the realism settings and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    No it just displays the initial header with the realism settings and that's it.
    Is there a line saying it's connected to P3D?

If you start the program after you've got in the aircraft the marshal doesn't know to start asking for data, so never does. Basically the act of entering the sim proper is what nudges it to start requesting data, you can get round this by opening a menu item but the best process is to open the marshal before P3D and close it after, if that makes sense.

I've just recreated your txt file by starting the marshal after I got in game so I'm hoping that's what's happened!

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    Is there a line saying it's connected to P3D?

If you start the program after you've got in the aircraft the marshal doesn't know to start asking for data, so never does. Basically the act of entering the sim proper is what nudges it to start requesting data, you can get round this by opening a menu item but the best process is to open the marshal before P3D and close it after, if that makes sense.

I've just recreated your txt file by starting the marshal after I got in game so I'm hoping that's what's happened!
    Yep, again. . .old age creeps in. . .I misunderstood the instructions. I'll run one more!

Success!! Here ya go Skippy!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Success!! Here ya go Skippy!
    Excellent! Thanks Ed that seems to have worked as planned.
    I need to make a couple of tweaks, mainly including slew detection and a checksum to confirm no editing has taken place. Not sure if it's still wanted for the race but if it is give me the nod and I'll get the final version done.

Gave it a go in FSX (accell) & it worked as described - it logged the "nasty" realism settings i purposely made nicely.
    Roman

Spokes,

That's good to know thanks! I'm not sure if it'll work in anything earlier than FSX Accel as that's the SDK I used.

Version attached also checks if the slew was used and generates a checksum at the end of file.

There's a second program in the zip that'll check the checksum, it needs to stay in its sub-folder with just the log file you're checking, double click it and it'll list the file contents with the checksum it thinks should be there under the one in the file. If any editing has taken place it should show as a difference in the numbers.

P3D Marshal.zip

Quick question for Skippy or Ed - Have either one of you run the "Marshaller" along with Duenna? If so, did the realism boxes / output show green / all good before and after the flight(s) ? If not I may have a simple workaround that should work and give greens across the realism board. If set properly in P3D.

I had not previously, so I did a quick circuit. No change in the Duenna, all green except yellow for weather, red for realism. Here are the logs:

Thanks Ed! You da man! Will have something to test later in the afternoon. It's a hypotheses at this point but the theory should work as long as Duenna behaves in the way I think it should. I am going to use FSX mimicking P3D since they are relatively the same in regards to the theory.

Roman

Something I just found on Facebook, the weather server for FSrealWX_Lite is down currently.

Ed,

FSRealWX is back up! Do you have time today to do one, maybe two quick tests and on TS? It's looking good. (Fingers Crossed)

On SOH Teamspeak now....

Roman
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    Ed,

FSRealWX is back up! Do you have time today to do one, maybe two quick tests and on TS? It's looking good. (Fingers Crossed)
    On SOH Teamspeak now....
    Roman
    Roman, getting ready to go to Physical Therapy now. I won't be back til around 4PM CST. If no one else is available I can do it then.

Great! Thanks... Will get back on TS @ 4 bells..

Ed and/or other P3D users,

Can you give this a try? Statically it proved to work with Duenna but need a couple testers to see if it works for a whole flight. If it does it will get rid of the "invalid" realism errors and possibly give one a green flight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	13662

REMOVED ATTACHMENT SEE LOWER DOWN IN THREAD

Thanks,
    Roman

Edit - This still requires the prepare3d.cfg path to be entered into the Duenna settings dialog.
    Last edited by spokes2112; October 23rd, 2014 at 18:55. Reason: Path reminder
    Roman

Everything was set to go, I started the Duenna4_P3D, selected P3D_V2 and got an error message saying it could not find the Prepare3D.cfg file. If that's simply a typo, no biggee. . .but if it's looking for prepare3D.cfg (with an "e") it won't find it. . .that's not what it's called. Also, I checked the Duenna settings and the correct path to the cfg file is there.

Thanks Ed,

Give me 5 minutes and a new version will be up. (Was away from 07:00 til now)

Roman
    Roman

Geepers!

This quote I got directly from the LM P3D SDK! Should've used your duenna txt as a reference instead.. Darn SDKs!

Code:
    Prepar3D v1 = C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D\prepare3d.cfg
    Prepar3D v2 = C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\prepare3d.cfg
    Any way the new one is up. Pretty much done for the eve.. If this works I will refine it a bit tomorrow morn. A few spelling errors (non-critical) & going to add a function to give the end user a path to the correct (LOL) prepar3d.cfg(s)

Attachment 13671

Thanks,

Roman
    Roman

Ed,

Please hold off an last nights second version, it probably won't work either.. One shouldn't do programming when it's nearly impossible to keep the eyeballs open. Found a few errors.. (space where they shouldn't be etc..) Doing a full static test on the "fresh eyes" morning version now.
    Roman

Pretty much at -

Name:	wits end.jpg 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	13697

Have high confidence that this should work. The big drawback of this version is it must remain running throughout the flight - no other way around it. It has a very light footprint. Now if Johannes used the same method as I this will not work and this whole project is down the tubes. (fingers crossed)

Test procedure -
    1. Install the exe and of course read the readme! (big changes made)
    2. Plan for a short ~20 minute flight using Duenna 4 P3D from T/O to a hopefully "green" landing.
    3. During the flight go into realism settings and change something inconsequential to Duenna and click OK. (P-Factor, Torque etc...) Do this 3 or 4 times in the flight except in times stated in the readme.
    4. Report back w/ at least the .txt file from Duenna.

Thanks for all the help. Only looking forward to the RTWR & tomorrow too!

Duenna 4 P3D v1003.zip
    Roman

Name:	FlightLog_20-43-07.JPG 
Size:	287.7 KB 
ID:	13699FlightLog_20-43-07.TXT

Like this?
    Changed various minor bits of the realism during the flight e.g. gyro drift, auto rudder etc.

Well, that makes two landings that sucked today. I have no idea what caused this one in the Mew Gull. I was almost over the numbers and got a crash. I hadn't even touched down yet.

Thanks Skippy! It seems to work! We have Duenna for P3D!

Ed - that IS strange maybe a wacked out scenery area? Doubt it though - It's in your neighborhood :-) But the output of Duenna shows that P3D 4 Duenna works.

Boy if a little more testing was done we could use this for the Race. It's just a little to darn close to trust it without sufficient testing. I suppose it is completely optional as an end user. Ms. Nellie will probably be showing up later this evening and most likely say the same thing... Not required.

Again thanks guys for the testing.
    It just opens up racing for more pilots!
    Roman

Competitor has encountered a P3D(?) problem. Can anyone test? Does anyone have a suggestion?

Once I realized my error, I set up again at Z13T, time 0.5 hour after landing, fuel as per Landing at Z13T.

But I cannot get off the ground! It is like someone has spread quickset epoxy on the runways at Z13T (Yes checked brakes are OFF!).
    Full throttle, full RPM, to point of burning out the engines, the plane just creeps forward (barely).
    This has happened to me before in P3D even in non-Van Hees scenery - Something goes wrong with the ground-friction model at some places.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post915598

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Some Tests I have done

As the P3D user who experience getting stuck on an airfield, I post my findings on this issue.

I tried numerous edits of the airfield in question (adding exclusion rectangles, and flattens at runway elevation) to no avail. At some stage, quite by accident, while the plane was creeping forward I managed to swing her into the wind, and suddenly she took off across the field. Subsequent tesst showed that with a direct cross-wind or tailwind component, the MAAM SIM DC3 will not budge in P3D. Makes taxing impossible downwind to get to the downwind end of a runway!

I have experienced a problem before in P3D with the Lockheed Connie (P3D default plane by JustFlight - I assume it is an FSX port-over) and their DC6. Sometimes they require a very high thrust to "break away" from a stop / parking (once they get moving one has to hit brakes hard and throttle back to avoid tearing down the taxiway). Now I know why the problem is intermittent! Last night I tested both these planes extensively on a paved runway. With a tailwind of 8 kts, one has to open up the throttles to high MAP at full RPM and they will creep forward, slowly gain speed, until KIAS = windspeed (+-10kts), then there is a definite "kick", and the plane springs into action. Same with a quartering tailwind to cross-wind. With a headwind, less than half the amount of MAP and RPM in the green will give a smooth, steady acceleration from standstill.

The MAAM-SIM DC3 will not budge, or will barely move with a tailwind and cross-wind. The Manfred Jahn DC3 behaves exactly as I would expect - regardless of wind direction the plane will get moving as required, with reasonable throttle inputs.

OK so takeoffs downwind are not recommended for a DC3, though up to 10kts is apparently do-able, and I am sure many military pilots have had to do this on occasion for real (and I could do it perfectly in the Manfred Jahn DC-3). Certainly one should be able to taxy downwind, and enter a runway with a cross-wind, without having to almost burn out the engines!

To expect other P3dD users to validate my experience with the MAAM-SIM DC3 is asking a bit much - the pain of installing, and I know some users are very concerned about damaging their P3D installation or installing non-P3D compatible / tested aircraft. However, if someone has the time to taxi the Connie installed with P3D around a bit, against different wind directions (note in testing one must stop, and try to get moving again; once rolling one can keep going), I would be grateful if you could report on your findings.

It will at least put my mind to rest that it is not my install of P3D that is wonky, but will also give us a test of airplane compatibility with P3D. Flight dynamics programming by the likes of Alex Metzger (Manfred Jahn DC3) are what we want in a plane that is said to be / marketed as P3D compatible (no criticism of the MAAM_SIM team at all, as that was a feat of sim engineering in its time, long before P3D was even dreamed of)

Rob

Members who have read this thread: 1