Best OS for FS9/FSX on same machine

Thread: Best OS for FS9/FSX on same machine

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Best OS for FS9/FSX on same machine

I would research this topic through the "archive" function of the site, but technology (and glitches) change so frequently maybe it's best to ask this question afresh.

I'm on Windows XP and have had both FS9 and FSX, on the same machine, running very well indeed. Due to external factors it will be necessary to change the Operating System of the machine to something other than WXP. Based on the experience of those of you who have changed over, what is the best OS to change over to if one is running both sims on the same machine? I was thinking one OS might work well with one sim but not with the other.

I'd also like to know how much of a hassle is it to change the OS - is it something the owner can do, or does it need to go to a shop for a tech to do?

Upgrading the OS on an older box can be problematic if the new OS doesn't have all of the drivers you need. The laptop I picked up from TigerDirect was marketed to corporate customers, so it was imaged with W7 Pro x64 - even though there's a Win 8 Pro sticker on the bottom cover. I don't own FSX, but I've seen 100+ FPS in FS9 using the default C172 over stock scenery and with clear weather. I suspect that if I installed X and took the time to do all of the tweaks, it would run just as smoothly.

Take a look on TD for "Off Lease" boxes. They're PC's and laptops that have been turned in from corporate leases, cleaned, tested, and re-imaged with fresh OEM installs of (usually) Windows 7 Pro. You get just the basics - a box, mouse, keyboard, and power cable. All other peripherals are up to you. Selection changes according to what they have from week to week, so check back regularly until you see a hardware combination that you like - then snatch it up quick! As for cost, it's on par with buying the OS install disk, so you essentially get a free box.

I suspect this one would run FS9 as smooth as butter...
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...074&CatId=5138
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

When I made the switch to W7 fromXP, I had to do a little off-the-beaten-path leg work. Everything on the shelves was Mac or W8 or maybe even higher by now, I wanted W7. I found a local comp store that builds machines and provided them a new copy of W7 Home I bought at another local comp store. Knowing what was being installed, my machine has done very well and runs FS9 and 10 well, not 100fps well but 40fps or so is I think as good as higher numbers, my eyes can't really tell the difference. At any rate, I believe FPS is more dependent on everything Other than the OS, such as processor, vid card, etc. As far as used PCs from business bulk purchases, those can also be just as good as a new one, but I would check the specs carefully. Often they lack much memory since they were typically connected to a main frame and speed and graphics were likely average. Also, as you would expect, they usually have a business version OS which can have various security enhancements or permission issues lurking, a reinstall from your own OS CD would be the way to go with that, again provided the system is compatible. My opinion is that W7 should work fine provided the machine components are made to work best with it. There are now patches and tweaks aplenty to soften the change from XP too.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, guys. I think based on your input I'm going to Windows 7. I will provide a copy of the OS to the shop near here that builds machines, also ensure he has all updates and appropriate drivers installed. I know the young fellow who is their tech. I'll see if he can transfer everything off, then back on once the new OS in installed. This should be interesting.

Maybe it's best to ask about Win7 and FSX over on the FSX forum, specifically.

Thanks, again.

Members who have read this thread: 0