London Melbourne 2014: Help Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: London Melbourne 2014: Help Thread

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Ed that is what I was getting with my Realism settings. Yellow for the weather but cannot remember whether the weather in earlier versions of P3D were green or yellow.

This is what I got this morning:

Realism: RED
    Weather: YELLOW
    All others: GREEN

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Ed that is what I was getting with my Realism settings. Yellow for the weather but cannot remember whether the weather in earlier versions of P3D were green or yellow.

This is what I got this morning:

Realism: RED
    Weather: YELLOW
    All others: GREEN
    Yep, same thing I get. I'm going to do a test with the Duenna and fly a portion of one leg of the race and then send the Duenna log and map to Mike so he can look it over.

Quote Originally Posted by flyon View Post
    As far as the duenna goes for those who are flying competitive, an option to consider (for those using P3D) could be using FS Flying School for P3D.
    I've got FS Flying School, so that wouldnt be a problem. Any tip on how to use it for such purpose would be great, since I havent used it a lot and I'm not sure what it can do and how to use it in such manner.

I've found some pre-1938 aircrafts to test for P3D, but in the two weeks until the race it's a bit short to learn and test them. For me it's the first time I'm going to do a thing like this and even though I want to try to fly it dead reckoning, I'm think I'm going to use my old and trusted Skymaster. I'll see if I can test some aircraft and make some recommendations for golden age aircrafts for P3D, but that's going to be for the next race, I'm afraid.

About installing Duenna in P3Dv2, I read someone has tried to create a dummy FS9.cfg, but shouldnt that be a FS9.exe? Or Both?

A question about one model aircraft, though. What I understand is that the Waco F-series are from the 1930s, but there are also newer replicas made and I cant really find if the Alabeo Waco YMF5 would be a contester for the race, or if this is one the later build replicas.
    Does anyone know if this aircraft would fit the category of golden age aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Demious View Post
    . . . . .About installing Duenna in P3Dv2, I read someone has tried to create a dummy FS9.cfg, but shouldn't that be a FS9.exe? Or Both?
    I did a test flight this morning of about an hour duration to get a decent readout for the Duenna Log file. Prior to takeoff and turning on the Duenna I made sure the weather engine was active (I'm using FSrealWX_Lite) and realism settings were correct, then activated the Duenna (red on realism and yellow for weather, everything else green). . .took off and climbed to altitude for the flight. After landing and the Duenna validated the flight (Not Valid by the way), I closed the flight and viewed the log file. The very first ERROR was the following:
    Errors:
    13.10.2014 12:21:04z ERROR: FS9.CFG is not readable: Can't open 'D:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\FS2002.CFG' for reading: 53 - File not found

Further down there was this:
    Info: Looks like FS2002
    Info: Configuration-File: D:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\FS2002.CFG
    Info: REALISM/CrashDetection: '0' (NOT GOOD)
    Info: REALISM/StressDamage: '' (NOT GOOD)
    Info: REALISM/UnlimitedFuel: '' (NOT GOOD)
    Info: Weather/LoadWeather: '0' (NOT GOOD)
    Info: REALISM/CrashTolerance: '0'

So that's what it's looking for and not sure how to get around it.

This is excellent news Ed.

Your test suggests that P3D users might use the Duenna for most purposes. The program will not be able to certify the pre-flight settings realism. The Duenna doesn't know where to find those data. (Neither do we. Does anyone here know where P3D keeps those settings? Is there some sort of initial conditions file?)

But crucially, the test confirms that the Duenna will be able to monitor the actual flight and report on successes. And also, your test was able to activate the live tracking via the Duenna website! So we can all follow along with our P3D pilots as well. And the tracker website will store a backup logfile.

In practice, for our not-so-competitive event, this means that P3D users can use the Duenna to certify their flights. You will have to be on "pilot's honor" to get the realism settings correct. But you will be able to authenticate your successful legs with all the accuracy and ease of the Duenna program. (Thanks again to John Mueller.)

Much appreciated, Ed (falcon409)! Very good news for P3Ders.

Might some other P3D pilots try this out. You want to install the Duenna as normal (see the rules appendix for help). Set your realism correctly and start your live weather program. Then set your flight and activate the Duenna. You will get errors in the Duenna panel. (You may also get a warning to restart. Ignore this and click through.) Despite the errors in the startup panel, take off and complete a flight. The Duenna should work normally for the in-flight portion of its monitoring. We hope. Please report your experiences.

Here is a question for non-P3D pilots. Would anyone feel uncomfortable with our allowing P3D pilots to authenticate their legs with a combination of (a) "pilot's honor" on the realism settings and (b) the Duenna for the rest? Without objections, we'll work on a procedure that will allow P3D pilots to move forward.

--M
    -Mike

(Neither do we. Does anyone here know where P3D keeps those settings? Is there some sort of initial conditions file?)
    I believe it's in the Prepar3D.cfg file located in "C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" so pretty similar to FSX.

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Here is a question for non-P3D pilots. Would anyone feel uncomfortable with our allowing P3D pilots to authenticate their legs with a combination of (a) "pilot's honor" on the realism settings and (b) the Duenna for the rest? Without objections, we'll work on a procedure that will allow P3D pilots to move forward.--M
    Hi Mike,

I don't want this taken wrong, but this event (everyone we've ever done) is and has been planned and considered (understood) for MSFS .... either FSX or FS9.

There has been no previous work ... actually there has (Aussieman for one), but so far no reconciliation between the two formats (second version P3D and MSFS) even though they are similar in some respects.

Again don't take this wrong anybody, but these two formats as of this writing don't gel and therefore can't be judged on a level playing field.

More important than that is it's not fair to the committee to feel the burden of providing a place for what is right now a close, but outside normal operations program that has no known way to connect to what has been offered.

I'm not mad at anybody or upset in any way ... as a matter of fact I volunteer as much help as I can muster to see this situation to resolve for the future of events in general and if working together ... on the side ... can bring about a solution before the race is complete.

However unless that condition can be met, I feel like it's just too much expected of the race organizers and committee to try to blend both the event and discovering a way to shoehorn the use of P3D .... in fact invent a way that is unknown anywhere.

Two separate tasks and operations .... lets' all try to get the duenna to work or maybe find yet another common validation system to help in future events and grow our fine hobby and broaden the field .... but unless there can be a fix or solution found in a timely manner for this specific event the P3D guys should be willing to plug along for the fun of it or fire up and instance of MSFS which I feel most of us have.

In closing it's not as much about the honesty thing (I have no reason to think that this is not resident at all times in everything we do together) as it is the use of the accumulated data that the duenna program affords to bring scoring into line on an even playing field.

After that last entrant has crossed the finish line the committee has to sort out and validate every stinkin' flight that everyone of us flew and provide a race tally of those figures that will show who did the best .... the worst .... first ... second ... third ... best fuel economy if needed .... shortest distance .... blah, blah, blah ... with data that came from the same common source.

I hope all can read my sympathy expressed for what the committee would have to accomplish .... also my enthusiasm about finding a way to work this out for the future of Sim events.

Let's make a separate thread in this forum to discuss how best to work out a useful validation for P3D and let's leave this one open for questions and assistance for registered Rookies and anyone else that may want to take the plunge for the first time.

A third a final concern is about any first timers visiting here .... trying to sort through all of this.

Most all of us have been flying and trading posts together for a very long time and that allows us to toss subject matter like this around in a positive and usually productive manner, but just imagine being a newbie or Rookie and being maybe a bit overwhelmed with all there is here to sort out ... not far to those guys either.

Cheers,
    salt_air

P3D Thread Opened

Good idea to move the more specialized P3D discussion to its own thread. Here:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...456#post910456

We will thus open up the "Help" thread for its vital mission of helping everyone get up to speed to have fun in the event.

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post

Let's make a separate thread in this forum to discuss how best to work out a useful validation for P3D and let's leave this one open for questions and assistance for registered Rookies and anyone else that may want to take the plunge for the first time.
    -Mike

ADF navigation panel

I created this “nav panel” for one of our “no GPS” events a few years ago. It contains the gauges needed to navigate by ADF stations only. Two ADF radios, a duel ADF gauge, two stop watches, a signal strength meter, and the default DC-3 auto-pilot. The two stop watches are very useful for me. I sometimes plan my leg such that there are a couple of ADF stations along the way. I want to know the elapsed time since passing the last station, as well as the total elapsed time for the leg. So, two stop watches. The signal strength meter gives you a very basic idea of how far you might be from the station. And it makes me feel good when it jumps to the right...

You know it's quality equipment because it's from Lucas Electric...

Read the readme for installation. Pretty basic. All the gauges are freeware, and are contained in the package, so no need to add anything to your main gauges folder if you don't want to.

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Eligibility of Caudron C.450

To: The Committee
    RE: Caudron C.450

It's been a long week of traipsing around both England and the Continent and to tell you the truth, I'm getting worn out before this race has even begun!

The not-so-fine gentlemen at De Havilland have refused my request to let me fly one of their 'precious' Comets that they have in testing. Something about a few words I 'may' have said in a local pub... I thoroughly deny all allegations of course, but you understand how it goes.

I've also taken a look at a fine looking machine over at Percival Aircraft in Gravesend; unfortunately, while I was visiting they still seemed to be still be working out a few kinks in their new Mew Gull. It's a toss up whether they'll have it ready and running smooth for the start of the race. They seemed like fine gents, I hope they do! However, as I don't really want to spend any time stranded somewhere in the desert (or worse), I'm going to let them stick with the pilot they have!

A few other offers came (and went). A fairly interesting but poor paying offer to promote the new Beech Model 17. An offer to be one of the pilots on a second team flying the Boeing 247. An offer from the Granville brothers to fly a purpose built Model R (which I had to reject immediately... I do value my health a bit, you know!).

Alas! All this time spent and no other plane deemed suitable! My backers were suitably discouraged, and as a result only one backer is left: a Lady of considerable wealth from Montreal. I do believe she inherited... ah no matter! I shall get to my point: She prefers I fly something of French design, and is willing to support my effort in the Caudron previously indicated by this Fine Committee as being acceptable for this race, the C.450! I have assured her that we are at a disadvantage having not the upper hand in speed nor range, but she will hear none of it!

And so, before we actually come to any sort of formal agreement with the manufacturer, I would ask this Committee to re-confirm the eligibility of the Caudron C.450, along with the official handicap listing for said plane. It remains to be seen, depending on Her Stubbornness, whether we shall enter in the speed race or the handicap!

!!CAUTION!! USING FSRealWX PRO "Aircraft Config" feature.

Hi All,

I just recently had problems with FSRealWX PRO. It only had to do with the "Aircraft Config" tab. Never used that feature before. Maybe I should look at the newest readme(s) , it's been awhile. I assumed that by importing an aircraft.cfg into the program would give speeds and such so planning speeds could be estimated "psuedo" after WX is injected. Plus there is a "SAVE" button. (OUCH!) What happened is as such.

In the Duenna tracked flights 2014-10-16 13:05:25 and 2014-10-16 13:20:10 I crashed while leisurely flying through crappy WX while trying to gain speed. KABOOM! Crash. Been flying long enough in her thinking - Whatsup? At first I thought it was wind shifts popping the MACH overspeed. NOPE. Flying without Duenna it still crashed. Then looked at the crashed Duenna outputs and found this.
    Code:
    Enroute:
     Aircraft-Reference:     Vne=184KIAS, Vcruise=213KTAS, Mmo=M0.000, Empty weight=2740.0 lbs
    It seems after looking at the aircraft.cfg that it was modified,,, BADLY! When I first opened it up in "NoteTab Light" it barked saying there were multiple "illegal" characters and by clicking OK it would try to rectify. It did. With HTML. Anyhow it was a cluster ____. What I found is that The WX prog had put an extra [Reference Speeds] section at the very end of the aircraft.cfg amongst other crap.

Ended up manually removing the HTML & illegal code from all the paints then getting a raw aircraft.cfg from the archives and replacing all of that other than the paints and saving it. BS! The next flight was good..... Great actually. After a couple of hours putzing trying to find what was fubar. This is what it should look and fly like.

Code:
    Enroute:
      Aircraft-Reference:     Vne=225KIAS, Vcruise=184KTAS, Mmo=M0.389, Empty weight=2740.0 lbs
    P.S. The other 2 crashes in that timeframe were: 1. Bad scenery management, KGRB - X will crash when moving around it when crash is turned on. 2. Sub-Par Piloting, forgot to reset the elevator trim. BOOM.

FSRealWX PRO is a very good program, for WX... This is just a heads up. If others use this feature and it works plz let me/us know via PM or other.
    Roman

Wow. Thanks Roman. That's good to know. Just looked at my "Lite" version, and I don't think it has that "feature" included (good!)
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Things are coming together nicely but I have a couple of questions.
    1: Regarding the Baton settings. If I'm doing this on a solo basis do I select 'I have the baton' or do I put a tick in the 'Arm baton auto pick up'?
    2: I start from XXXX and head off into the proverbial. At the end of my stint, wherever it may be, do I save the flight and reload when I return, setting the appropriate time?
    3: Uploading Duenna file and.jpg. Do I do this at the end of every session or at specific times/intervals?

I think that's it. Thank you for your forebearance. (Should you have any left! )

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Attwood View Post
    Things are coming together nicely but I have a couple of questions.
    1: Regarding the Baton settings. If I'm doing this on a solo basis do I select 'I have the baton' or do I put a tick in the 'Arm baton auto pick up'?
    2: I start from XXXX and head off into the proverbial. At the end of my stint, wherever it may be, do I save the flight and reload when I return, setting the appropriate time?
    3: Uploading Duenna file and.jpg. Do I do this at the end of every session or at specific times/intervals?

I think that's it. Thank you for your forebearance. (Should you have any left! )

1. I use the 'Arm baton auto pick up' ...it prevents me from forgetting to press the baton button and have to start over again (which I have done more than once).

2. Upload the Duenna and .jpg after each flight...you don't want to miss one and have Miss Nellie sending you a 'reminder'. Once you've done a couple of legs you'll be a pro...
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

I like the auto arm too but for this event, keep in mind if you tick that setting you might paint yourself into a corner.

For example, if you get lost and land at the wrong airport your Duenna will end the flight flight there and you might get hit with a landing at an "other" airport penalty. Otherwise you can land with the Duenna still running, ask for directions (check map) and then be on your way to the intended correct airport.

From the rules:

If you are hopelessly lost, you may land and ask for directions. As long as you do not refuel, there is no official timing involved here except for the fact that your Duenna clock is running. You land and then take off without "releasing the baton". While stopped on the ground, you may consult all your maps, including your electronic moving maps, to find your location. After "asking for directions", you then take off again while the Duenna is still running.

You don't have to save your flight or time after each run but if you do decide to fly more than one segment per day you do have to keep the time linear. In other words you can't keep resetting the time back to get perfect daylight.

Rules:

When you make multiple flights on the same real life day, you must make the simulator takeoff time of each subsequent flight follow the simulator landing time for the preceding flight. For example you dedicate a Saturday afternoon to make several flights. The first lands in Karachi at 10:08 am local simulator time. The next takeoff, from Karachi, must be after 10:08 am local simulator time. You land at 12:31 pm and then take off after 12:31 pm. And so on for every subsequent flight on that Saturday.
    Thus, if you wish to make several long flights in one day, you should start early in the simulator morning and may find yourself flying into the simulator night.

Make sense?
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Make sense?
    Kevin
    Perfick.

A question regarding multiple flights on the same day (while I await patiently the committee's number crunching for my plane of choice):

Kevin, you gave an example where the flight lands at 10:08, so the next flight must takeoff at 10:08. If partaking in the speed race, would the ground time be added in? As in, the flight lands at 10:08, ground time is a mandatory xx number of minutes, the next flight takes off at 10:08 + ground time?

Jim, as long as you start your next flight later than 10:08 you will be fine. You don't have to be that precise. The aim is to keep the sim clock going in sequence so that you don't start the second flight at say 8:50.

Depending on where you land the ground time added would be:

(1) Official Required Control and Optional Checking Points.
    (45 minutes for the Speed Race, 0 for the Handicap Race).

(2) Unofficial but Listed Refueling Airports.
    (90 minutes for all Golden Age pilots).

(3) Other Unlisted Airports.
    (150 minutes for all Golden Age pilots).

(4) “Getting Un-lost” Fields.*
    (0 minutes, but ONLY if you neither reset Duenna nor take on fuel. 10 minutes if you restart without refueling. Otherwise as (3) above).

You don't have to actually wait out the times above. They will be added separately to that segment either by you or one of the committee. PRB will especially be paying attention to all the flight times and ground times to keep things in order.

*Note that (4) is currently being tweaked. Please stay tuned.

Also- We should have an answer on the Caudron any time now. Thanks for your patience!

To: JimmyRFR.

Jim, we have already communicated directly to you and your Canadian backer. This, the formal part of the message, is published here so that everything is transparent. It is a note from "Slipstick" Williams, Tex Winter's main test pilot and part time engineer.

--------------

The charismatic Caudron C.450 by Gilles Faulmeyer is certainly eligible. The delay is generated by a need to look more closely at the handicap values.

The difficulty lies in the speed/range differences associated with runs a different altitudes. For the Handicap Race, where the number of stops matters relatively little, the key factors are speed and distance. The range is important to the extent to which a longer range allows a pilot to slice hundreds of miles off the route. For most aircraft, it is worth giving up a few knots of true airspeed in order to shorten the route.

However, in the case of the Caudron C.450 and the Gee Bee Model Z, the range stretching associated with higher and slower flying does not help on the overall distance. Thus, the question is "how much range is needed" in the tradeoff against speed.

For the short-legged racers, the race will comprise of 24 legs. The question is: how much range is necessary to fly the main number of those legs? The longest leg is from Athens to Aleppo (652.7nm). However, because most legs are much shorter, the racer will not need to fly at the speed/altitude that yields 653nm but once in the race. If we take a rough demarcation point of 500nm, we see that 18 of the 24 are shorter. Another 5 are between 507-567nm. And only one over 600nm. So a speed/altitude/range combination that yields a maximum speed for about 500nm would seem to be a reasonable standard.

Our tests (maximum throttle and automixture) show the following results for the Caudron C.450. Each set of numbers are the maximum speed, altitude, and range.

201…10,000…581
    205…7,000…505
    209…4,000…445

Setting a handicap speed of 205 (which yields a range of 505nm) means that for 18 legs the pilot can fly at 205 KTAS or faster. Many legs can be flown at 209 KTAS. For the remaining six legs, he will have to fly slightly slower. Given the relative number of miles at the different speeds, the pilot should be able to exceed the 205 average reference speed during the course of the race. (Of course, the need for climb/descent/approach/roll out will mean a slightly slower racing speed. And winds, weather, and pilot skill will matter a lot.)

Hope this helps understand the behind the scenes testing, calculation, and evaluation.
    -Mike

Icon22 Sample Run ... Posting flights 101

... or officially posting your progress throughout the race.

To make up for the sim not having real spectators or a way to actually man the Compulsory Checkpoints to verify that each pilot made it ... Each pilot will start his own thread to announce his official start and what aircraft he is using.

He will make individual posts that basically substantiate each and every take off and landing from the start at Mildenhall AB London (EGUN) to his successful landing at Essendon Melbourne (YMEN) ... and ALL points in between.

With the exception of an occasional "Atta-Boy" from members of the Peanut Gallery, other pilots and such .... and maybe
    [== done - da - done - done === sung to the theme from the old TV series "Dragnet" ] ..... a word from Miss Nellie ... all of the parts, legs, segments, what have ya including total time of each pilot's trip "Down Under" can be complied from that pilot's posts ... like a log or short journal.

Done correctly a total stranger to the event should be able to "walk up" and read your consecutive posts and add up all of the flight time as well as see at a glance (each post) where and when you had a crash (if at all) as well as whether or not you made every Compulsory Checkpoint or stopped for fuel or just to get directions .... whatever.

For our purpose this "Duenna" you have heard about or seen mentioned will fill the gap of no simulated witness to events by validating and documenting more than you can imagine or I want to get into now.

This is a Sample Run .... just a short hop out of Mildenhall EGUN in the deHavilland DH 80 Puss Moth ... to Crowfield EGSO

Include the departure airport's ICAO code and your intended destination airport's code and what aircraft you are flying.

Maybe a little "color" like a comment on the weather or a concern you may have as you begin the takeoff roll .... like do I have enough fuel? .... or will the current wind stay "with me" .... or why when I look in the mirror do my nose and ears look bigger every year?

Then make the post (hit submit reply) and start your takeoff roll making sure to push the "I have the baton, BEGIN" button on the Duenna or by having checked prior the Arm baton auto-pickup box.

As you climb out check that the Duenna has started recording and all is "Green" .... just like when you were sitting waiting to take off.

While you fly to your destination your post will be on your thread in the forum .... anybody reading could see that you had just taken off .... know where you intended to land and probably make a good guess as to when you would arrive depending on the aircraft you posted you were flying.

Then after landing .... plane stopped .... Duenna stopped .... you post that you have arrived safe .... down safe ..... whatever .... and then locate and attach the two files auto-generated by the Duenna .... just like you would a screenshot.

You'll need both the jpeg (Map) file and the txt Log file that will show up as a link in your post.

You can see what they look like in the next (2) post(s).

Your thread will show all of your activity in chronological order .... a rhythm of take off post .... landing post .... take off post .... landing post .... and so on and so on.
    salt_air

Icon22 Leg 1 .... Sample Run

Taking off a bit early to make the day longer .... maybe get in an extra flight.

Light variable winds and very hazy - foggy

Leaving now EGUN - EGSO in the deHaviland DH 80
    salt_air

Icon22 Down safe at EGSO

Easy going flying low on the fog the whole way ..... took the whole runway to stop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FlightLog_19-09-48.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	13467FlightLog_19-09-48.TXT

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FS9 2014-10-17 18-59-51-77.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	13469
    salt_air

SOH-CM-2017

Exclamation Realistic Environment - Special Conditions

Reading through the rules carefully I noted the following section:

Realistic Environment. Please run the simulator with realistic scenery/mesh/clouds set-tings. While you are encouraged to maximize realism, these are the absolutely minimal conditions:
     Scenery. Autogen density: Normal. Scenery Complexity: Normal.
     Mesh. Keep the terrain mesh you normally use. A minimum standard would be the default mesh (with a 38m resolution setting in FSX).
     Weather. Weather options: Real-world weather (updated every 15 minutes if the internet connection permits).
     Clouds. Cloud draw distance: 60mi. Detailed clouds/Cloud coverage density: Medium. (And for FS2004, 3-D cloud percentage: 100.)

If your computer equipment does not allow these minimum settings, please ask for a waiver and you will automatically receive one.

During testing for the Modern Era I found that I was unable to complete a planned leg into EGLC without getting VAS warnings and in several instances actual OOM. This occured with my default realism settings which are higher than the minimum. The aircraft is quite complex and the problem on this leg the route crosses the following scenery addons:

Scenery 1 - UTX Europe
    Scenery 2 - FTX Global
    Scenery 3 - FTX EU Landclass
    Scenery 4 - FTX England
    Scenery 5 - FS Genisis Mesh

I tried enabling and disabling the scenery addons but was unable to reduce the VAS in static tests by more than 3K. I have had to reduce the sliders below minimal settings to achieve a safe VAS on arrival in England. I will likely need to request a waiver prior to flying this leg.

My normal high settings have be OK for practice legs in other parts of the route where the scenery demands are less intense.

Other participants who are running complex scenery and/or aircraft may want to perform similar testing.
    Jeff
    "Providence Permittin"

Thanks Austin for the demo postings.

A couple of things that I'll add...
    anomalies appear, errors happen, mistakes might be made - share the agony and the details. Miss Nellie respects honesty and abhors the devious, so if something doesn't "seem right" with your flight or results, 'fess up. It's easier all around to get an early resolution to those situations so you can move on, rather than have one of the eagle-eyed auditors notice a discrepancy and raise it with the committee or the audience later. Sometimes it's simply a clerical error or oversight in posting that can be rectified with an admonishing note from "Herself" but in any case sooner is always better.

Also, while this is very independent and disjointed compared to the RTWR, we do encourage interaction, so if you feel comfortable flying online and/or lust for company, include it in your departure post so the bored ones can perhaps look over your shoulder or add moral support. The SOH flight servers are available (4 ports) and for those not familiar, we can provide guidance. Never know when it would be handy to have someone keep you awake on a 6-hour flight in the wilderness.

While the Committee will be reviewing the flights, we encourage all competitors to do the same. Look at each others' posts and Duenna files. Ask questions if there's something you don't understand. Regulatory questions that you might not wish to discuss in public can, of course, be directed to any of the Committee via PM. Otherwise you might just see something in the flight record that can give you a clue for an upcoming leg of your own.

This is an endurance event so don't rush... make sure you have all the boxes ticked or not, check your results and posts and check that you actually post and say what you mean. That way, those of us who have made all the mistakes in the past won't have anything to tease you about before we go and repeat those mistakes

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Members who have read this thread: 0