London Melbourne 2014: Help Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: London Melbourne 2014: Help Thread

London Melbourne 2014: Help Thread

I'm really wanting to join in, as a rookie as well I guess... however, the plane I'd really like to fly is the Caudron C.460 by Restauravia. Who do I message or talk to about seeing if I can get it added to the list?

Not sure if it's a great choice, since it's a mighty exciting and temperamental thing to get into the air (much less back on the ground again), and I'm still trying to determine it's range in the sim (theoretically it should be good for 1000 km if the rendition matches the historical data).

I do have a few other choices, and I'm still not certain it wouldn't be best for a rookie like myself to fly in the modern class, but... stubbornness will likely prevail!

Please post any additional questions or concerns you might have here. Rookies are especially welcome.

For the Race Committee,
    Kevin

Every time I install the Duenna. . .everything seems to go well except the "Realism Settings". . .so damned picky. Is there a how to that specifically runs down each setting?

Ed, you can hover over the Duenna and it will tell you what it is looking for.

On Realism: Crash detection (on), Stress causes crash (ok), Unlimited fuel (off):

From the rules:

Aircraft Realism. You must fly with (See Aircraft|Realism):
    · the "unlimited fuel" box in realistic mode (that is, unchecked);
    · crash detection enabled;
    · the General and Crash Tolerance sliders set to the most realistic position (full right);
    · Aircraft Stress Causes Damage enabled;

Here are my settings in FSX:

Might be that P3D_V2x settings are somewhat different. The ones you mention here were set correctly in mine but there were others not included in FSX that I had checked as well and that might be the difference. I'll keep messing with it til I either break it or get a green indication. Also, in the setup there's no selection for the MacRobertson Air Race so I just selected the SOH Team for now. . . .and just like the RTWR, Realworld Weather remains yellow with FSrealWX_Lite.

Attachment 13110

This is what mine looks like. The shaded areas are what the Duenna says are the problem areas. Doesn't appear that way to me.

Ed, for the Duenna "event" look for the following:

2014 london melbourne

We'll work to find a way to make all this work with P3D. (We'll have to trick the program a little as it is not written for P3D.)

Best,
    M
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post

2014 london melbourne

Best,
    M
    Thanks Mike.

Sorry if it sound dumb but what is the "Duena" I am reading about, and where do I find it. Been looking all over the site, I must be dumb and blind at the same time
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post

2014 london melbourne

We'll work to find a way to make all this work with P3D. (We'll have to trick the program a little as it is not written for P3D.)

Best,
    M
    Mike, Not sure how many others will even be using P3D, but If I happen to be the only one and since I'm not flying "competitively" will it even matter really? Just a thought.

I'm also interested in entering with P3D2, but I'm having some problems with choosing an aircraft.

Of course I would like to do this with an age-appropriate aircraft, but looking at the list, I'm having some trouble, there. I understand the list given in the rules document is from 2009 and not many aircrafts are fit for use with P3D, already. I've been checking out aircrafts from the list, but so far I was able to find only 2 aircrafts: the Spartan Executive from Milton Shupe Team, but this one doesnt have click-spots in P3Dv2, and I've checked out the Alabeo D17S, but this one only has a VOR gauge and no ADF gauge. I dont have the experience with old-school navigation to do this whole race on dead reckoning, so I do need the use of an ADF.

Another thing would be that my experience with freeware addons is anything but positive and the same goes for trying FSX aircrafts in P3Dv2, so I only install items that have full P3Dv2 functionality and according installer.

Would it be possible to update the allowed aircraft list with some proper P3Dv2 ready aircrafts I could choose from? And it would be nice if those are indeed age-appropriate and not like the Alabeo D17S that is build with instruments that weren't even available at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Sorry if it sound dumb but what is the "Duena" I am reading about, and where do I find it. Been looking all over the site, I must be dumb and blind at the same time
    You can find links for the Duenna in Appendix B of the official rules for the 2014 race, as well as instructions on setting it up for the race.

http://johannesmueller.com/fs/web/duenna/
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

None of us on the race committee have P3D (or have ever used it as far as I know). As Mike said, we will have to come up with some solutions on that front for you P3D users.
    Last edited by Moses03; October 12th, 2014 at 10:56.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Mike, Not sure how many others will even be using P3D, but If I happen to be the only one and since I'm not flying "competitively" will it even matter really? Just a thought.
    I would also like to try this London-Melbourne thing out in P3D, but do it as Ed is flying it, as a non-competitive entry. I haven't decided on which turboprop to use yet, although I do like the Seneca V a lot (as seen in my avatar).

As far as the duenna goes for those who are flying competitive, an option to consider (for those using P3D) could be using FS Flying School for P3D. It's about the price of a decent payware plane -which means it's not cheap, but worth every penny imo. I do own it, and it works very nicely in P3D...
    For the record, I am not affiliated with FS Inventions in any way, shape or form. I simply think it's a good product that works as advertised, and it's a great alternative to the duenna- which -let's be honest about- we might not ever see made for use in P3D.

Any chance we can have John Mueller update the duenna to make it compatible and allow it to be used?

Or if anyone has contact info for him, perhaps ask if one of us could take the project over and one of us can update it. Especially if we keep doing the RTWRace it will help include P3D in future or possible future FS versions if dovetail actually makes the franchise go somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by epwatson View Post
    Any chance we can have John Mueller update the duenna to make it compatible and allow it to be used?

Or if anyone has contact info for him, perhaps ask if one of us could take the project over and one of us can update it. Especially if we keep doing the RTWRace it will help include P3D in future or possible future FS versions if dovetail actually makes the franchise go somewhere
    It really goes without saying that the Duenna has become rather long in the tooth at this point and is being stretched beyond it's coding. P3D isn't going away and with the RTWR looming for 2015. . .no solution to what ails it in regard to P3D will surely eliminate more and more prospective participants. Certainly, many folks still maintain several different sims on their system so falling back to FSX or FS9 is always an option. . .but there are others I would think that have dropped the older sims for the advances and performance enhancements offered by P3D. Those would be the participants that would be sidelined and participation is something that needs to be bolstered if the Races are to continue. A revamping of the Duenna is necessary. . .or an alternative found, if there is one.
    Last edited by falcon409; October 11th, 2014 at 19:02.

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    You can find links for the Duenna in Appendix B of the official rules for the 2014 race, as well as instructions on setting it up for the race.

http://johannesmueller.com/fs/web/duenna/
    Thanks for the link. I have been reading the rules, but have not finished it yet.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by flyon View Post
    As far as the duenna goes for those who are flying competitive, an option to consider (for those using P3D) could be using FS Flying School for P3D. It's about the price of a decent payware plane -which means it's not cheap, but worth every penny imo. I do own it, and it works very nicely in P3D...

Hey Steve ... welcome to the foray bud!

Are you saying this program for P3D you mention will validate sim settings and generate at least a text log the same as the Duenna does for MSFS?

I know you have used the Duenna successfully in other MSFS events .... will this work to merge the two sims so they can compete together on a even playing field?

I haven't got a clue about P3D (yet) .....
    salt_air

To: JimmyVFR
    RE: Caudron C.460

Hi Jimmy

We took your request to Miss Nellie who accepted it with a sort of curious calm. She passed it on to Tex Winters down on the flightline. He and his pilots put the two Caudron aircraft through the a series of tests and sent the evaluations back. Here is Miss Nellie's judgment.

--
    We have tested the Gilles Faulmeyer models of the Caudron C.450 and the Caudron C.460.

This is a truly wonderful rendition of a charismatic aircraft, one of real historical significance. And it fits into the era beautifully. A lovely aircraft.

However, the C.460 is just too fast for this particular competition. The top speed our test pilots obtain is about 288 KTAS which is something like 50 KTAS faster than the next competitor. The simulation numbers are fine in terms of the speed records that pilots set in 1935 and 1936. This is not a realism question, merely one of setting a competitive event in which multiple aircraft and strategies are viable.

As with other excellent aircraft of the era that break the London-Melbourne competition, the C.460 will have to remain on an "honor roll" that misses the White List. It joins the company of other splendid aircraft like the Hughes H1, the Gee Bee R6 QED, and the Laird Turner Meteor.

The Gilles Faulmeyer Caudron C.450 will be just fine for the Race. Unhappily, it appears to be a bit slow when compared to the top speed records that it produced later in 1934 and in 1935. Of course, a simulation of the (May 27, 1934) Coupe de la Meurthe race-winning C.450 need not be expected to produce world-record-setting times – which rose over time. Our test pilots' top speed at 4,000' is about 209 KTAS (knots true airspeed). Maurice Arnoux's average speed when winning the closed-circuit Coupe was just about 209 KTAS. In August of 1934, Hélène Boucher set speed records of 222 and 246 KTAS. And in May 1935 Raymond Delmotte won the Coupe at 240 KTAS. The later C.450 seems to have had installed a larger more powerful Renault engine. So perhaps Faulmeyer modeled the earlier manifestation.

For more technical details, see Leglise, Pierre. 1935. The 1934 Contest for the Deutsch de la Meurthe Trophy. L'Aeronautique (July 1934). Technical Memorandum 765. National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics. (Available from Cranfield University: http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/...aca-tm-765.pdf )

Tell the young man that if he is keen on the beautiful Caudron, he should turn his eye toward the C.450 model in which Maurice Arnoux won the Coupe.
    ---

So it seems that only the slower fixed-gear Caudron C.450 will make the White List. If you would like a faster "racing" plane, you might consider the Northrop Gamma which is freeware but rather old. Better, you might look at the Percival Mew Gull which is represented by two good freeware versions and by an excellent payware version by Flying Stations. The freeware Gee Bee Model Z is fast but short-legged. And the payware Gee Bee Model R-2 is fast with better range.

Or you might choose another way to go.

In any case, we are keen on encouraging your participation. The Caudron C.460 is certainly an excellent choice, but one that just won't work for this particular competition. Lots of other good choices, though.

Best,
    The Committee
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    . . . . .Are you saying this program for P3D you mention will validate sim settings and generate at least a text log the same as the Duenna does for MSFS?
    I know you have used the Duenna successfully in other MSFS events .... will this work to merge the two sims so they can compete together on a even playing field?

If I were heavy into Simming and Racing I would be inclined to look into this and do some serious investigating (but I'm not, so I won't). There seems to be a ton of options available with it's use. . .actually so many that it's hard to take in at a single glance. I doubt that it will be a serious contender to the Duenna, simply because it's payware and that automatically makes it very questionable as a total replacement. Folks new to the Racing scene and those well established racers (who have moved completely to P3D) will not appreciate having to buy software in order to participate and that's the major reason I don't see FS Flying School as a viable option.

Hey Steve ... welcome to the foray bud!
    Thanks Austin.
    I'm not saying I can go from every leg from YMEN Melbourne to EGLC London City.
    In fact, it's gonna be downright impossible for me to do every leg -I got too much irl stuff going on atm- but I do want to see what all the fuss is about...

Are you saying this program for P3D you mention will validate sim settings and generate at least a text log the same as the Duenna does for MSFS?

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying about FS Flying School (FSFS) -sort of.
    It will produce a log of your flight, which is found in your pilot's logbook in FSFS. You can also post a link to the flight map of the flight itself, as can be seen at the top in my text file linked below.
    I took the liberty of posting a pic of the FSD Piper Seneca V used in this flight today, the flightmap of that flight, and a textfile of the flight log.

Now this FSFS system isn't fail/foolproof by any means, which is precisely why I am going in this event handicapped.
    Keep in mind that FSFS was developed for those of us flight simmers who want to learn the more intricate details of flight in general, whereas the Duenna was created (I am assuming) for accurate and true record keeping in events such as the RTW event or an event like this London-Melbourne thingy now.
    In short, without a Duenna for P3D, there really isn't any solution -strike that, there is a looming alternative: P3D simply cannot officially be used for any RTW or London-Melbourne type event -which will be a big turn-off for those who will NEVER look back to FS9 or FSX...

Overall, in all honesty, it will be a pain to have to do all of this on each and every flight from London to Melbourne or vice-versa, and it looks more and more like this event now will have to be done "officially" in FS9 or FSX, unless someone out there can figure out a solution -more on that later.

The skinny on P3D imo: it's an awesome platform, and with P3D, a new standard has been set for flight sim now. It's easy to see why so many have made it their number one choice for flight simming and flight education.

The pics and txt file from today's flight:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fsfs p3d seneca v.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	13155

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fsfs p3d seneca v-1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	13156

FSFS P3D V2.3 FSD Seneca V flight file 10 12 2014.txt

Anyhow, it's good to chat with you again bud, and good luck on your upcoming journey here.
    I'll be in the peanut gallery rootin' for ya...

Quote Originally Posted by epwatson View Post

Personally, I think you are the man for the job.
    I think anyone in the flight sim community can attest to that statement simply by looking at all of your past experience with what you have done "behind the scenes" with flight sim in general.

Also:

You can email him...when I emailed him, he responded within a day.

He went above and beyond to responding to my inquiry. And for the record, you will not meet a kinder more knowledgeable developer imo.
    He is a true gentleman in every sense of the word, and I would bet the farm that he would also go "above and beyond" to help you out if you are serious (which sounds to me that you truly are) about trying to develop a version of his Duenna for P3D.
    I really don't see why it isn't possible, but even as good as you are with the tech stuff, I can't see it happening this year -it's too much to ask of you in such short notice imo.
    Anyways, good luck to you if you do attempt to try to do so.

PS: if you do attempt to do this Duenna for P3D down the road at some point and do come up with something, I would be more than glad to help you beta test it out for bugs or glitches, if that would be necessary.

There seems to be a ton of options available with it's use. . .actually so many that it's hard to take in at a single glance.
    Yes, there is a lot in there,and that's not even talking about the many "detail packs" that go with it. Some are included, and some are payware addons.
    I use the 737 detail pack in FSX every once in a while, but for the most part I don't use any of them, I'm happy with what is standard operating equipment within P3D.

I doubt that it will be a serious contender to the Duenna, simply because it's payware and that automatically makes it very questionable as a total replacement. Folks new to the Racing scene and those well established racers (who have moved completely to P3D) will not appreciate having to buy software in order to participate and that's the major reason I don't see FS Flying School as a viable option.
    I totally agree with everything you say here. In the end, FSFS really isn't a viable solution to anything, and most certainly our conundrum here now.
    I use FSFS for FS9 and FSX, and now I use it extensively in P3D. I like the product, and I only simply offered it up as a suggestion. At this time, I have yet to find anything comparable for P3D flight mapping/logging.

(Time for me to get off the now ...lol)

To go back to what you said earlier, and as far as this event goes, going this event in FS9 or FSX is a viable option indeed, and it might be the only way one can enter this event competitively.

I'm going it in P3D to see how L-M renders different parts of the world I have seen way too many times in FS9 and FSX. Besides, for me, change is good every once in a while...

Thanks Ed.

To: The Committee
    RE: Caudron C.460

Thank you for passing on Miss Nellie's ruling on the matter. I was hoping the high speed was a decent trade off against the rather short legs of the Caudron C.460. However, as I'd of had to land at almost every optional stop, and knowing very well the 'exciting' nature of the C.460 on it's ground roll, perhaps this is a good decision that may extend my health!

And of course, everyone else is afraid of the fine French construction of the Caudron... While nosing about different pubs in both merry England as well as the Continent in the month leading up to this race, I've had several attempts made by some rather shady fellows to place me in the infirmary. So far I've been lucky, but next time, who knows!

The slower speed of the C.450, along with it's short range, would make for a certain loss I'm afraid, and I'm unsure that my benefactors would agree to such an scenario. They already have me investigating a few other designs. None, I'm afraid, that would be as exciting as the Caudron, but we shall see what they decide!

Best regards!

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Following a request from Mike about how I got the Duenna to work in P3D I tried to emulate my settings from when I was using P3D V1.2 but could not get them to work in P3D V2.4.

I even went to the P3D V2.4 folder in my users section and created a dummy FS9 cfg file but that would not work. You need RW for it to work. You may get away with Active Sky but I am using ASN and it does not work.

Not sure if John has updated but I am running V136 OF the RTW Duenna.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Following a request from Mike about how I got the Duenna to work in P3D I tried to emulate my settings from when I was using P3D V1.2 but could not get them to work in P3D V2.4.
    I even went to the P3D V2.4 folder in my users section and created a dummy FS9 cfg file but that would not work. You need RW for it to work. You may get away with Active Sky but I am using ASN and it does not work.
    Not sure if John has updated but I am running V136 of the RTW Duenna.
    I think once P3D moved from the V1.x versions into the V2.x it changed significantly with respect to coding across the board. The Duenna, because it hasn't been kept up in ages is now unusable for P3D participants. Is Johannes even still associated with the utility? If not, then it will require some serious rewriting I would imagine. As I mentioned in one of my posts above, those who have kept at least FSX can fall back to that sim for contests of this sort that require the use of the Duenna. . .but the number of P3D users who are leaving those sims behind is growing and it's those prospective participants that will be left out of future gatherings. As for RWW. . .that doesn't concern me. . .I get a yellow indication and that's good enough to get a good flight after 4 or 5 hours of flying, but the Realism settings in P3D_V2.4 are correct but I still get an indication that they are not set correctly and that "is" a problem. That's before even getting off the ground. . .who knows what the Duenna would find fault with once you're cruising along about 2 hours into a flight and something P3D does throws it into a tizzy.

Members who have read this thread: 0