London to Melbourne Entry Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: London to Melbourne Entry Thread

London to Melbourne Entry Thread

I'll be flying the Gee Bee Model Z Super Sportster by Warwick Carter in the Golden Age class in Golden Wings (FS9) using the default FS9 Real Weather.

The Model Z was built to win the 1931 Thompson Trophy which it did along with some other races. In an attempt at the world speed record in December of that year, Lowell Bayles flew it to over 300mph before the right wing came off and the aircraft crashed. There was only the one Model Z built by the Granvilles and it was an evolutionary step to the R-1 and R-2 Super Sportsters of 1932.

This paint is based off the FSX version paint for the fictional Gee Bee Z from the movie "The Rocketeer"
    by Paul Grubich with a few minor changes by me during the conversion to FS9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flt 19-2014-oct-9-001.jpg  
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

spokes2112 (Roman) entry for the big race

I will be flying Milton Shupe's Spartan Executive NC12RS in the Golden Age class using FSX (FS Global 2010 mesh & Jaap van Hees scenery) & FSRealWX. Thinking about doing the Modern Era class for a return flight using a C414 or PC-12 in either FS9 or FSX using FSRealWX, will confirm this prior to 31OCT14.

It's a no brainer for me picking the Spartan, performance wise or not. Spartan School of Aeronautics in Tulsa, OK is my alma mater with an associates in Avionics & Instruments. There is also "the" only airworthy 1929 Spartan C3-165, based in Sheboygan (KSBM), that shows up regularly to the EAA651 monthly fly-in breakfast @ Antique Aerodrome (9WS2). A joy to see during a healthy farm breakfast in the misty morning.

Thanks to Paul Beaudoin, Jim Doner, Rob Ibey, Willy McCoy, Mike MacKuen, and Kevin Moore for setting this up! The tracking page is impressive!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen_08182014_143302-1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	13031

Name:	DSC00006.jpg 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	13032
    Last edited by spokes2112; October 9th, 2014 at 04:04.
    Roman

I'll be flying the Flying Station Percival Mew Gull in the Golden Age Class/Handicapped only.
    Attachment 13035
    Last edited by falcon409; October 9th, 2014 at 06:13.

Count me in...I'll be flying the Rockwell Aero Commander 680 by Milton Shupe in the Modern Era General Aviation Class using FSX and FSRealWX Lite.

Name:	2014-10-9_7-13-25-340.jpg 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	13043

Patrick
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I'll be flying the Flying Station Percival Mew Gull in the Golden Age Class/Handicapped only.
    Attachment 13035
    That's my aim as well. Falcon, any tips for flying her? It's been a while since I've kicked the tyres!

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    That's my aim as well. Falcon, any tips for flying her? It's been a while since I've kicked the tyres!
    Unfortunately No, lol. I only recently purchased the Mew Gull and have very little flight time in her thus far. I hope to add to that this weekend however. I won't be flying competitively, just enjoying the landscape and flying along online when I can catch some folks logged in. Should be fun though. Nice airplane!!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Attachment 13035
    Just to update with additional info: I'll be using P3D_V2.4, w/FSRealWX_Lite and I've installed Jaap Van Hees special Race scenery and so far all the airports I've checked looked fine. Nice addition!

I will jump in nose first as a rookie, flying the KLM DC-2 "UIVER" by the "Uiver" team in the Golden Age class. It is my favorite aircraft, but I have never participated in such an event. Flying by NDB is something I am not experienced in, and am reading up on it. Hope to make some test flights next. I just took the graceful lady from EHLE (Lelystad, Netherlands) to Schiphol (EHAM), as KLM informed me that had some parts, needed to get the girl ready for this event in tip top condition.

Name:	LM_1.jpg 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	13074 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LM_15_EHLE_EHAM.jpg 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	13075

I am reading instructions from D3Airways to learn more about NDB

I will be using the excellent scenery by Jaap van Hees, and his weather settings. including his recommended AI aircraft. Weather textures from REX.

I am not participating to compete, but just to enjoy the flights, and hopefully catch up with some other participants online, while I take this steep learning curve. I hope this way to learn a lot while enjoying the flight. I am so excited, but also a little nervous..... what am I getting myself in to?????

I hope the organizers are not too hard on me while I use their event to learn all I can about flying with minimum resources. I can't wait for the event to start.

Is this the thread where we sign up for the event?? Hmm... guess there is no backing out of this one any more.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

• Going to fly the Alabeo D17 Saggerwing.

Jim

I plan to fly the RealAir Beech Duke Turbine, N626N, picked up from Rocket Engineering just last week, in the Modern class. Off to ferry it down to Melbourne to get ready. If time permits, I'll fly the Spartan Executive FSX conversion going the other way in the Classics class. I'm flying in FSX with AS2012 weather.

Name:	L-M Entry.jpg 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	13108

And then maybe the Citation X in the Business Class, and the GlowingHeat B-58 Hustler in the Unlimited Class...
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Icon22 salt_air's hat goes in the ring ....

Registering a solo effort in the Golden Age Class Speed Race flying in the default FS9 MSFS Lockheed Vega.

It has been repainted with a race specific paint job to closely resemble the aircraft flown in the 1934 Macrobertson Race by Jimmy Woods and D C Bennett.

Name:	FS9 2014-10-11 13-24-11-01.jpg 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	13131 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FS9 2014-10-11 13-58-44-16.jpg 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	13132

This is a description given of the plane that came with the repaint download:

"PUCK - VH-UVK DL-1 Special Named "PUCK" Painted all WHITE with RED letters and trim. On 21 Oct 1934, crashed in Syria. Became RAAF A42-1 Melbourne (1942-45). Scrapped 10/45. C/N:155 dtd:10/30
    Aircraft owned by Mr. Horrie Miller and was flown by “MacRobertson Miller Airlines” until impressed into RAAF in 1941. Jimmy
    Woods was the pilot of the VEGA."

Name:	Puck.jpg 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	13133

Side Note - "Puck" .... sporting the number 36 on it's tail ... suffered severe damage after flipping on landing at Aleppo and withdrew .... a different story will told told in 2014 as there will be no flipping on landing anywhere.

+++ Special thanks for me being able to use this scheme goes to Garry J. Smith certainly one of the best and absolutely the most prolific MSFS Historic Aircraft repainters on the planet. +++

The only panel mods where making replacements of 4 default Simicons and the windows they open.

Out go the GPS, ATC, Map, Handheld Radio .... not needed and none legal for the race.

Replaced with E6B front, E6B back, Driftmeter, Sextant.

Name:	FS9 2014-10-11 14-58-36-02.jpg 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	13134 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FS9 2014-10-11 16-44-58-51.jpg 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	13135

Also added a link to the music and movies resident on the sim computer for flying those longer stretches and any night flying I get drawn into due to improper planning of some sort.

That's it for the registration and description of the plane but i'd like to make one more note ....

Unless you have been involved in the organization, hosting, and otherwise administering events like these .... even small ones ... you cannot fully appreciate all of the time and effort that goes into it's production from start to finish.

I'd like to give a heart felt thanks to the committee members (and Miss Nellie, of course!) for putting this on .... I consider it a gift.

Best of luck to all the pilots .... let's have some fun,
    salt_air

Entering the JBK B247 Racer in the Golden Age class. Flying in FSX using default real weather. Also using Jaap's MacRobertson scenery.

Hey All,

Good on ya Robert! I been eying the 247 myself because of a liking for Clyde Pangborn - the real star of Roscoe Turner's crew - Pangborn the first to cross the Pacific - Japan to Wenatchee - he was originally headed for Seattle. In FS I fly into and out of Pangborn airport (KEAT) near Wenatchee WA alot - know it well.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Icon22

Forgot to mention I'll be running MSFS Real Weather w/updates (Jeppesen).
    salt_air

Just a quick note to manfredc3.

We shall be proud to have you pilot the Uiver DC-2 in the event. From an historical perspective, it was the most important aircraft in the 1934 MacRobertson. Great to have you with us.

We might ask that rather than use Jaap van Hees' fixed weather (meant to replicate October 1934), you use instead a live weather engine. The Default MSFS FSX weather would be perfect. Or you might choose one of the other engines listed in the rules (FSrealWX, Active Sky, Opus).

One of the truly interesting features of this sort of event is the live weather. You never know for sure what your flight will bring. You may take off in beautiful conditions and run into storms along the way and then have to land in a dense cloud bank. Or it could be blue skies and tailwinds all the way. As Parmentier can tell us from Albury, the surprises will keep you on your toes!

We are delighted to welcome you aboard. This should be great fun.

Mike (for the Committee)
    -Mike

Lady (Miss Nellie) & Gentlemen of the Rules Committee: I wish to commit to an aircraft to use...I would like to chug along in the background as an unofficial non-scoring entry in the 2014 London-Melbourne event, in the Modern General Aviation Class, and will try to stay out of everyone's way there in the meantime.
    My plane of choice will be the FSD Piper Navajo Panther Black Gold texture, flown in the P3D platform:

Name:	fsd navajo panther1.jpg 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	13283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fsd navajo panther2.jpg 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	13284

If the rules committee decides that I need to go with real weather, I can always go to FS9 or FSX, and use this exact plane using the REX Essential+ Overdrive weather that I have installed in both FS9 and FSX (and probably one day soon will have it installed into P3D -just not now...). If that indeed does happen, I wish to remain as an unofficial entrant anyways.

Thank you for letting me come along for the journey, and good luck to all those who are participating in the event .

Quote Originally Posted by flyon View Post
    . . . .My plane of choice will be the FSD Piper Navajo Panther Black Gold texture, flown in the P3D platform . . . . . .
    Nice airplane. I wish they had seen fit to bring it up to current standards. . .maybe even P3D compatible. I flew it a lot and enjoyed it very much. A good choice!

Here goes! I've girded up my loins, wrote to my folks and I'm jumping in the deep end. (how many more metaphors do you need?) In an Orbx Lancair IVP and OpusFSI weather. I'm gradually getting a handle on El Duenna but still some figuring to do.

Name:	n5vz1.jpg 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	13295
    Last edited by Ron Attwood; October 15th, 2014 at 06:43. Reason: Slight change of plan.

To confirm my entry to the committee, I shall attempt the course in the Mew Gull competing in the speed event at least until such time as external factors force me to attend to my aircraft in some benighted corner of the globe for an extended period. Final judgement by the committee pending, I intend to use P3D with Active Sky Next.
    Now I just need to recall how to navigate with only a clock, map and compass...

Skippy, you are very welcome to the group. The Flying Stations Mew Gull is a wonderful simulation and is simply outstanding for this event. It will be an honor to have you fly it. (Congrats there!)

Just for the record. You (and everyone) may install an ADF gauge to use the many NDBs to help you navigate. If not doing anything more interesting, people can simply install Paul Beaudoin's "Navigation Panel" as a popup gauge. See the Help thread for the download.
    -Mike

Decided to go with an old favorite, George Diemer's Sikorsky S-43 in the Golden Age Class. In this case the S-43B with the twin tail and extended nose. Will be shuffling along in FS9 using default real weather.

After two speed runs in previous L-M races, something slower and more focused on navigation and fuel management seemed right.

Good luck to all!
    Kevin

Some background on the Baby Clipper:

The Sikorsky S-43B NC16927 (c/n 4318) was the 16th of 53 S-43s produced by Sikorsky, under ATC numbers 593 and 623. Thirteen were built for Pan American Airways. Others went to the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, Inter-Island Airways of Hawaii, and airlines in France, Russia, China, Norway and Chile.
    This plane was delivered to Pan Am in September 1936. It then served with Pan Am's affiliate Panair do Brasil as registration number PP-PBM. It crashed in July 1940, and was rebuilt from parts of 3 planes.
    The S-43B had twin vertical tails. Instead of the S-43's adjustable horizontal stabilizer, the S-43B used elevator tabs for trimming. Some S-43Bs had extended nose sections with contours to cut down on water spray.

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Just a quick note to manfredc3.

We shall be proud to have you pilot the Uiver DC-2 in the event. From an historical perspective, it was the most important aircraft in the 1934 MacRobertson. Great to have you with us.

We might ask that rather than use Jaap van Hees' fixed weather (meant to replicate October 1934), you use instead a live weather engine. The Default MSFS FSX weather would be perfect. Or you might choose one of the other engines listed in the rules (FSrealWX, Active Sky, Opus).

One of the truly interesting features of this sort of event is the live weather. You never know for sure what your flight will bring. You may take off in beautiful conditions and run into storms along the way and then have to land in a dense cloud bank. Or it could be blue skies and tailwinds all the way. As Parmentier can tell us from Albury, the surprises will keep you on your toes!

We are delighted to welcome you aboard. This should be great fun.

Mike (for the Committee)
    Thanks for the invite Mike,

Since I have the great REX textures for real world weather I will have FSX do the weather engine, since i see no reason to spend money on a weather engine when I have REX.

I'm in the midst of making test flights using NDB's for navigation. I'm starting to get the hang of it, but the event will help me become a rookie "has been", I hope

That Duenna is giving me a headache, It's a p.... in the a...

Well..., got just over a week to get ready, have to get back in the cockpit, c ya.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

How does one know if you've been accepted for this event? Is there a list of entrants?

Ron,

G'Morning

Coolio! Stepping into the fray! Is JT no longer going to be you partner? In any case, unless Ms. Nellie says otherwise you are in. You can find the the lists (Very cool setup) here. It may take a day or 2 for Paul?? (PRB) to get the entries into the tracking page. Optional (but it helps out) input into the page instructions are on page 27 of the rules.
    Roman

Hi Ron. You're all set. In addition to the link that Roman pointed out, there is also a button at the top of this web site, labeled "MacRobertson 2014", which takes you to the same place. I thought you had said earlier that you might be entering as a two pilot team, and I was waiting for the other pilot to declare. I can add that later in any case. Welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Attwood View Post
    How does one know if you've been accepted for this event? Is there a list of entrants?
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 3