London to Melbourne Entry Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: London to Melbourne Entry Thread

Hi Paul. I thought I was teaming up with Jeff but the swine left me for another guy! I've read the rules, got Duenna more or less tamed and already got some flight plans worked out. Still a few bits I'm not sure of but I'll get straight on those before the off.

Quite exciting eh?

Entering the race.

Hello.
    I would like to enter this event using the Manfred Jahn DC-3/C-47.
    I've searched for an entry form or email address but I cannot find one.
    Could someone direct me where to go to enter, please. I would appreciate it very much.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Flyin' Fool View Post
    Hello.
    I would like to enter this event using the Manfred Jahn DC-3/C-47.
    I've searched for an entry form or email address but I cannot find one.
    Could someone direct me where to go to enter, please. I would appreciate it very much.
    Thank you.
    Actually, by virtue of your post. . .you have entered. Just indicate what sim you'll be using (FSX/FS9/P3D) and any other particulars about the division you'll be racing in (ie; I'm participating in the Golden Age/Handicapped as a non-competitive flyer). That's all.

Hi OFF

Just would like to echo falcon409's welcome. (And suggest that you pick your weather engine: default FS9 or default FSX, or one of the alternatives.)

Good to have you on board.
    Mike
    -Mike

Entering the race.

Thank you MM and falcon409 for you quick reply to my inquiry.
    I will be using FSX; the Manfred Jahn DC-3/C-47 v1 utilizing the default FSX DC-3 virtual cockpit.
    The weather engine I will use is FSrealWXlite.
    As the saying goes; "in for a penny, in for a pound", so I will enter the Golden Age Speed Race. I'm curious to find out if I can still navigate using only the ADF and dead-reckoning.

I have down-loaded the rules and the Duenna application and update. Scanning the posts I cannot find anything else that needs to be down-loaded. I'm not missing anything, am I?

Will there be any type of notification prior to the start date (8/25/2014)?

Again, thank you for your help.

Entering the event

I’d like to register into the Golden Age class flying the Lockheed L-10E (Modified, Full) by FSDB & Dave Bitzer in FS9 using FS9 default weather.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	printscreen178.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	13476

Fred

SOH-CM-2017

MacRobertson in Reverse - "Beech Boys"

Folks,
    I am happy to join everyone in this adventure as a participant in MacRobertson Modern Era in the Flight 1 King Air as one member of the "Beech Boys" team. We will be using FSRealWx.

Name:	N406KA_sm.jpg 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	13496
    Jeff
    "Providence Permittin"

MacRobertson Modern Era entry - "Beech Boys"

Quote Originally Posted by jt_dub View Post
    Folks,
    I am happy to join everyone in this adventure as a participant in MacRobertson Modern Era in the Flight 1 King Air as one member of the "Beech Boys" team. We will be using FSRealWx.

Name:	N406KA_sm.jpg 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	13496
    I would also like to declare my entry in the MacRobertson Modern Era race as a member of the "Beech Boys" team, flying the Flight1 King Air B200 and using FSRealWx.

Flock of Gulls

Hi, all:

Another (Flying Stations) Mew Gull for the Golden Age event. FSX.

Is FS Global Real Weather acceptable as a weather engine?

Good luck and fair winds to all!

Ian

In the rules it states under.........2. Scoring the Race:
    At the end of the Race, pilots may choose to be ranked in either the Speed or Handicap portion of their Class.

I announced up front that I was entering the Golden Age Class however..........before the final 2014 rules were submitted.

Since Ground Time needs to be added for each scheduled stop (added this year), I'd like to make it clear that I ‘m starting with high expectations and announcing that I’m entering the Speed Race so that Miss Nellie and the committee know that my times will be as follows.

Race Time = Flight Time + Ground Time + Penalty Time

I Just think it would help you to know up front.

Fred

Fred

Hi ratty,

Welcome to the 2014 London-Melbourne. Another Mew Gull pilot will add sparkle to the event.

Thought you'd like to know that the London bookies are reporting heavy money on the flock of Gulls…though there is considerable action on the Spartan, the Caudron, and the Lockheed L-10E special.

As to your using FS Global Real Weather as your weather engine, the short answer is yes. Please see Miss Nellie's detailed ruling at 119 Piccadilly.

--M
    -Mike

Official Entry:

I will be flying the Granville Brothers Gee Bee Model Z Super Sportster. Willy will be in the #5 and I in the #4. It is a beautifully done model for FSX by Warwick Carter, and it's quite a handful on landing. Take off too, for that matter, when she's full of gas, luggage and who knows what our competitors might sneak in... Being such a tricky beastie, I could not turn her down. I will be flying in FSX with default real weather. May God have mercy on my soul.

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Paul, I see you're already testing Down Under...
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Paul, I see you're already testing Down Under...
    Rgr that. I don't know how they fly like this all the time. Must take lost of practice.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Bowing out

Hi.
    Please remove me from the list of competitors for this race. I cannot get the Duenna application to work on my computer.
    Good luck to the rest of the competitors.

Entry into the Great Race

Hello,

I'm officially putting forth my entry in the Golden Age Class. My nominator and I both hail from the Dominion of Canada, and after an exhausting search for a suitable aeroplane in which to seek my fame, have decided on the fine lines of the Caudron C.450. I shall look forward to racing with you all. Here's to many, many miles, and keeping the blue side up top!

Name:	Pre_Race_001.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	13629

(I shall be racing in FSX, using ASN weather and the Jaap van Hees scenery where compatible)

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    Count me in...I'll be flying the Rockwell Aero Commander 680 by Milton Shupe in the Modern Era General Aviation Class using FSX and FSRealWX Lite.
    Attachment 13043

Patrick
    After a few test flights, I've decided to switch my weather program to the default FSX (Jeppesen) weather updates. Looking forward to the start of the race on Saturday.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Rob O. / Golden Age Speed / DH.88 Comet

Here's my entry for the the Golden Age Speed Race. I will be flying the Reine Astrid (G-ACSR) a DeHavilland DH.88 Comet (FS9 Model) in FSX using ASN Weather.

(From my race entry Oct. 2009)
    From Kiwi Aircraft Images:

"The creation of the Comet was a response by de Havilland to the prospect of a non-British aircraft winning the 1934 England - Australia air race. De Havilland proposed to build the racer for 5000 pounds and three were ordered off the drawing board in February 1934. The aircraft introduced new technology to de Havilland aircraft including retractable undercarriage, split flaps, and variable pitch propellers. It is credited as providing vital experience to later war work. The first Comet was flown on September 8, and all three started the race at Mildenhall on October 20."

"G-ACSR (c/n 1995) Built for Bernard Rubins. First flown October 12, 1934, the CoA was issued the same day. G-ACSR came in 4th in the England - Australia race, but went on to set an England - Australia return record. After the 1934 air race the aircraft was named "Reine Astrid". Sold to the French government and reregistered as F-ANPY, the aircraft (set) a Croyden - Le Bourget record of 52 minutes for mail delivery, on July 5, 1935. The aircraft was then used for mail proving flights. After the occupation of France by the German Army, the aircraft was destroyed in a hangar fire at Istres in 1940."

And from Wikipedia:

"The DH.88 might have been the last of the high performance wooden aircraft but for a shortage of metal for aircraft construction during World War II. As it turned out, experience with the DH.88 would be put to use in designing one of the war's finest aircraft — the de Havilland Mosquito."

-----------------------------

Btw... for anyone interested in attending: During an electrical storm at night in October 1934, DC-2 Uiver was rescued in Albury during the MacRobertson Air Race. This year we commemorate with a weekend of activities, most on Saturday 25th October: - a presentation by Richard de Crespigny (of QF32) - a vintage car motorcade - an airport Family Fun Day - a race day - a DC-3 re-enactment flight (TBC) - and more
    MacRobertson Air Race 80th Anniversary Weekend (Albury, NSW)

Victoria Museum - De Havilland DH-88 Comet Aeroplane G-ACSR, MacRobertson Centennial Air Race, Refueling in Darwin, Fannie Bay, Northern Territory, 1934
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Victoria Museum G-ACSR.jpg   G-ASCR at Darwin1 (1280).jpg  

Excellent Rob! Was hoping we would get a Comet. (It was my runner up aircraft to fly in FSX).

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Excellent Rob! Was hoping we would get a Comet. (It was my runner up aircraft to fly in FSX).
    Thanks Moses... hope to get up to speed to put in a decent (competitive) run.

You can thank an Australian banker financing my ride. He (and his partners)... they're bankrolling the whole thing.

I'm just trying to get the 'ol bird to Straighten Up and Fly Right...

As it happens, I shall be entering two aircraft in this year's race.

While things seemed uncertain for a while, all is more clear now.

A couple of months ago, I jumped a freighter to this country to see about flying in the Big Race. Just loitering at the aerodrome bar, asking around for rumors and ideas. Then the light bulb went off…

The de Havilland gents sure got a lot of play for their Comets in 1934. Maybe they would be willing to sponsor a repeat performance against the new cast of competitors. The Caudron Rafale, the fast Granville Speedster, and the newest Percival Mew Gull all look to be world beaters. And then there is the Lockheed L-10E airliner with the special tanks that Amelia Earhart used on her classic final journey. And the American luxury racer, the Spartan Executive, has that streamlined look of menace and power. Not to mention the Beech Staggerwing that won the Bendix. Add in the impressive Douglas ships, the big DC-2 and the even bigger DC-3. The Comet had its day and may not be as fast as the new breed. But maybe if de Havilland resurrected "Grosvenor House" and entered it in the race, they could capture some of the world's attention and regain some of their long lost glory. Couldn't hurt their marketing efforts for the new DH.91 Albatross.

So I wired the de Havilland staff and, invitation in hand, journeyed out to Hatfield aerodrome. I met with both father and son at their distinctive art deco offices and found them to be receptive to the idea. They were interested in a publicity run for the Comet…though they seemed to think that they had a real chance to win this year's London-Melbourne despite the advance of aviation since 1934. Well, Geoff de Havilland took me up for a couple of demonstration flights and I must say that I have more respect for Scott, Campbell Black, Rosier, Cathcart-Jones, and all the great Comet pilots. The Comet is a delightful aircraft that loves flying so much that it is reluctant to settle on the turf.

The de Havilland brain trust said that I should go ahead and register G-ACSS for the race but that they had yet to decide how to proceed. Now I understand that they are fielding a truly competitive run in the British Racing Green aircraft G-ASCR. ...
    -Mike

So not knowing whether I had a ride or not, I was pleased to meet an old friend of Miss Nellie's from her Kansas days. The gentlemen said he was representing Mr. Walter Beech of Wichita who was instrumental in the design of the National Air Race prize-winning Travel Air Mystery Ship (1929) and Beech Staggerwing (1936). Apparently, his company has just developed a new twin-engined monoplane -- the Model 18 -- and plans to market it as a private aircraft for business operations. He believes that entering the aircraft in the race will provide potential buyers the proper appreciation for the aircraft's speed and reliability. And he needs a pilot.

Done.

Accordingly, I'll be flying the Beech D18S (Milton Shupe is the original author and Dave Carroll did the re-modeling into an FSX-native format) in FSX with Active Sky Next as the weather engine. I shall be delighted to use Jaap van Hees' wonderful London-Melbourne MacRobertson scenery. (If all goes well, I may have a chance to fly a not-so-competitive route in the Comet. Perhaps as a joint venture?)
    -Mike

I will have to finally put my controllers on my system which have been off since May when I moved and jump into this one.

Put me down for Modern Era in the LDR Navion B 300.

I still have to read all the rules I have not kept up with anything due to my work schedule and coding requirements for the next...

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

In 1934 Harold Brook took the Gypsy Major engine from his crashed Moth, headed for Reading and convinced the good people at Miles Aircraft to bolt it on to the front of their newly-designed "Falcon" touring aircraft. This suited Miles as the intended engine was proving to be a bit skimpy in power output. Conversations ran to breaking records and it was deemed feasible to make modifications to the prototype which would enable it to compete in the London-to-Melbourne race In October. Perhaps because it was a prototype, perhaps because of Brook's inexperience or maybe that he carried a mysterious female passenger the journey was fraught with unspecified 'problems' and he arrived in Melbourne - after 27 days and too late to qualify as an official finisher.

http://afleetingpeace.org/afp/1934-t...son-aviators/4

In spite of the "real world" suggesting a high probability of not being able to complete the Race in the required time (history repeats?) I hereby tender my entry in the Golden Age category flying the Keith Paine Miles Falcon. A reincarnation of the MacR race aircraft #31 has been built by Mr. Paine on a later production airframe and the details have been sent by post to 119 Piccadilly for review. Subject to approval by the Esteemed Committee I shall go forth in the FS2004 universe relying on the default weather gods.

A preliminary review in Flight makes this observation:
    "As we have said already, one of the chief aims which has been kept in mind in designing the '' Falcon " is to produce a machine which above all things shall be easy to fly, and by a slight increase of the dihedral angle over that of the " Hawk," that is, from 3J deg. to 5 deg., the '' Falcon '' has been made sufficiently stable to fly " hands and feet off'' for long periods, while at the same time retaining ample manoeuvrability for handling while landing, or during emergencies, with great ease."
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...-%200869.html\

Regrettably, the Gypsy Major supplied by Mr. Brook produced only 120 H.P. instead of the later 130 HP but this should slow me only slightly (lin light of the already peaceful 140 m.p.h. design speed)

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Last minute entry for a second aircraft

I'm going to throw my lot in with my Avsim brethren flying the Comet, and attempt to get 'Black Magic' back to Essendon in one piece after I finish the 'Modern' leg. Just wanted to get my entry form in prior to the deadline.

This will be in FSX using AS2012.

Cheers to everyone, and happy landings!
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Members who have read this thread: 3