Military runway basics

Thread: Military runway basics

Icon5 Military runway basics

I was wondering (for a project), if the U.S. military built a base, say Afghanistan and had jets fly in, what you be the "basic" runway configuration needed? Lines, numbers, lights, length, width, etc. I know C-130's can land pretty much anywhere, but what are the absolute basics for say an F-18 or F-35 to set down. A diagram or image would be better if available.
    Best, Michael

I'm pretty sure the length requirement for an F/A-18 is 7000 or 8000 feet.

Also, as far as large aircraft I'm pretty sure every airbase in Afghanistan can support C-17s, and Bagram does it all. Possibly Kandahar as well.

Looking forward to what you will do once you get all the info!

Quote Originally Posted by airattackimages View Post
    I'm pretty sure the length requirement for an F/A-18 is 7000 or 8000 feet.

Also, as far as large aircraft I'm pretty sure every airbase in Afghanistan can support C-17s, and Bagram does it all. Possibly Kandahar as well.

Looking forward to what you will do once you get all the info!
    F/A-18 is 7000, 6000 with exception. (Just got thru this in the NATOPS )

Thanks guys. What about markings. lights?

Nate, I looked at the runways at kandahar and Bagram, but these have been developed over time, I am interested in the first things they laid down so jets could land.

I am a heli flyer mostly, so I don't really pay attention except when I take out the harrier or Dinos jets.
    Best, Michael

I used to do this in the Air National Guard... in the 1980s!

As far as I know, there is no runway "standard" for a tactical air base. The US armed forces likely already are aware of every runway in the world suitable to be deployed to, and they're probably rated on size and infrastructure. And as you said, fighters and tactical airlifters have different needs.

If one were going to build a runway, besides adequate length you'd want (but not necessarily require) numbers and a centerline for day/VFR operations. In my experience we also put out some sort of touchdown zone marker beside the runway. If one planned to stay awhile, you would eventually add arresting gear, lights, navaids, and ATC; maybe not in that order depending upon the circumstances and tempo.

Back in the day (60s, 70s, 80s), the US military made scratch-built runways from perforated steel planking (PSP), with no markings. The ersatz airfield probably had a small contingent of combat controllers with handheld weather instruments and a portable NDB.
    Last edited by Tube and Rag; October 6th, 2014 at 17:39. Reason: added stuff

Thanks, so basically, length, touchdown marker/lines, centerline, basic ATC and lights and I am good, correct? Since we are limited to what we experience in FS to touchdown/takeoff and parking, I want to get most of the details right for a FOB feel that can take jets. Again, any images/diagrams would be helpful, even of FOB flightlines and such.
    Best, Michael

And arresting gear for emergencies if there will be fighter or attack aircraft operating there

Quote Originally Posted by airattackimages View Post
    And arresting gear for emergencies if there will be fighter or attack aircraft operating there
    A must have, here at Bagram thanks to the Vipers we are required to have these. Might be some info out on the interwebs about the USMC expeditionary airfield operations, this would cover the bare basics to operate F-18's from. To be accurate, you have to look at the support infrastructure based on the type of a/c you want to mimic operating at your airbase.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Thanks guys, much appreciated. My problem is, I know what I want to fly, helis mostly, so ops are easier, but I want this to accommodate as many types of military flyers as possible without building a full fledged airbase, LOL.

Victory, so you are at Bagram now? If so you are so going to help beta when I get done, LOL. I don't suppose you'd be able to get me any images for textures of any Large Area Maintenance Shelters or CAMSS tents or other buildings, straight front and side images would be very helpful.
    Best, Michael

Yes, here for a year. Our hangar is a LAMS-A, so I should be able to get a few pics if you can't find any suitable on the interwebs. Don't forget the concrete T-walls as well.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

That would be outstanding Victory! Yep, any images of the hangers/tents, flightline would be very helpful to my current project, might even give me enough initiative to start work on my Bagram project, LOL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9JXxmw.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	13058
    Best, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    That would be outstanding Victory! Yep, any images of the hangers/tents, flightline would be very helpful to my current project, might even give me enough initiative to start work on my Bagram project, LOL.

Name:	9JXxmw.jpg 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	13058
    Mike, great looking shot!

PM sent. Thanks in advance.

Matt
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Just remember, if you are building an air force base, you start with the golf course.

When the budget is depleted, then you go back to congress, asking for more money to build the flightline, runways, hangars, etc.

Gunny(sent many an hour in, on and around this)G

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyG View Post
    Just remember, if you are building an air force base, you start with the golf course.

When the budget is depleted, then you go back to congress, asking for more money to build the flightline, runways, hangars, etc.
    That's exactly right. With few exceptions, every mainland US base has a golf course. And from personal experience you can play on a dirt course. Just rake the green smooth when finished.

(was going to say something here about the current golfer in chief but won't)

I'm sure that there are some Field Manuals on the web that would give you some particulars, but unless you are looking to create a particular air base, you can pretty much use your imagination.

Remember also that the EAF will be heavily influenced by who builds it.

if you are speaking of an Army or Marine FARP type setup, it can be quite austere. If the intention is to operate VSTOL/STOVL assets as well, then you will be well served by a couple of thousand of feet of runway and some AM-2 pads for vertical ops.

For Marine A/C, the lower limit used to be 5000ft for fixed wing. In fact, you could apparently land a Hornet A in Quantico without A gear and that is only 4200ft. I'm uncertain if that number has changed or if the Hornet numbers above are for the E/F models. Remember also that Hornets can use expeditionary arresting gear for routine short field ops...it's actually gentler than the ship gear IIRC. This is not the same gear that Navy airfields have for emergencies and I don't believe either are the same as the Air Force gear which is not normally kept in battery as it can mangle the lighter AF landing gear. Fields will also often have long field chain gear (literally a pendant connected to increasingly large links of chain) located at the runway's end.

Lastly, the markings can be very simple for a VMC only runway or one served by an essentially ad hoc non precision approach. The Harrier used to be able to use a All Weather Landing System (AWLS) for a poor man's ILS. That unit was portable and could be set up at any field. I'm not sure what the Hornets have/had in the way of approach options, but I believe the Air Force has ILS in all its jets and I would be surprised if that wasn't the case with the Superhornet and the F-35.

Here's a couple of pics I found of some EAFs. You might try Googling the following...

Twentynine Palms EAF
    Bogue Field, MCALF
    Red Beach, Camp Pendleton
    Ie Shima, Okinawa

but again, these are Marine fields...AF fields will be built with different sensibilities.

Name:	image.jpg 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	13113

Name:	image.jpg 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	13114

Deacon, very informative, thanks for the info and the images. The last one gives me a good sense of scale also. The twentynine palms base setup is pretty close to what I am going for, so thanks again.
    Best, Michael

Members who have read this thread: 2