Mission Builder stretches map East-West

Thread: Mission Builder stretches map East-West

Mission Builder stretches map East-West

A few weeks ago I pulled CFS3 out of a dusty box of games I haven't played in a decade, installed it, and downloaded the 3.1 patch and Mission Builder 1.0 from this site. I haven't tried any of the add-ons much of the discussion is about on this board. I noticed that the game's stock map of Europe in the Mission Builder is stretched by a third in the east-west direction, vs. the north-south. So if you plot waypoints in the Mission Builder of 100 miles east, then 100 miles north, in CFS3, the waypoints will measure 67 miles east, then 100 miles north. The picture of Europe in the Mission Builder is also clearly stretched wide. This seems bizarre and I think it is causing problems in correctly calculating ETA's for groups approaching a point from different directions. Am I missing something here, or if not does anyone have any solutions or work-arounds that don't involve doing trig manually?

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Flag View Post
    A few weeks ago I pulled CFS3 out of a dusty box of games I haven't played in a decade, installed it, and downloaded the 3.1 patch and Mission Builder 1.0 from this site. I haven't tried any of the add-ons much of the discussion is about on this board. I noticed that the game's stock map of Europe in the Mission Builder is stretched by a third in the east-west direction, vs. the north-south. So if you plot waypoints in the Mission Builder of 100 miles east, then 100 miles north, in CFS3, the waypoints will measure 67 miles east, then 100 miles north. The picture of Europe in the Mission Builder is also clearly stretched wide. This seems bizarre and I think it is causing problems in correctly calculating ETA's for groups approaching a point from different directions. Am I missing something here, or if not does anyone have any solutions or work-arounds that don't involve doing trig manually?
    Hi Bear, I've really got no idea but a thought occurs to me - what resolution are you running your monitor at? Maybe that causes distortions in the map in MB? Edit - especially if the resolution you are running is not the default resolution for your monitor? Just a wild guess

Blog Entries
    Hi Bear,

I do know that the cfs3 world is flat i.e if you compare it to the map on a globe there is distortion which from memory gets worse the further from the centre you are. I wasn't aware that it was that far out though.

As long as you fly using the cfs3 co-ordinates and distances all should be well as it all the same amount wrong!

I think Ted (Nachtpiloten) knows a bit about this so maybe he can shed more light.

Cheers,

Clive
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Thanks for the replies.

It is not my monitor and it is strictly an east-west difference between the CFS3 Mission Builder and the CFS3 game. No one else has noticed this? Just create a mission with one leg, a 100NM distance from west to east, or vice versa. Then jump in the sim and the Tactical Display says it is 67NM. North-south lines don't have this problem. Lines in other directions are distorted proportionately to their "east-westness".

Members who have read this thread: 0