Iris Battlefield airlifter. (C-27 Spartan)
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Iris Battlefield airlifter. (C-27 Spartan)

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

Iris Battlefield airlifter. (C-27 Spartan)

Almost afraid to start this topic, but I'm sure we can keep this civil, right..?

Anyway, here's what David posted on Facebook earlier today:

The Battlefield Airlifter is done and uploading! About a year and a half late, but well... it's done.
    And:

The IRIS Airforce Series - Battlefield Airlifter Version 1.1 is now available for those who have purchased it directly from IRIS. To download the product, please log into your IRIS Store account and download the installer from your ORIGINAL IRIS Platinum Series C-27J Spartan or IRIS Airforce Series Tactical Airlifter product invoice.
    Please note that this version does NOT contain a working manual, however the product content is complete other than that. A manual is being worked on and should be available within 24-48 hours.
    In addition, once that is available, all installers will be updated and issued to our usual distributors for sale.
    If you have any questions or comments, please post a comment below or alternately submit a support ticket.
    To aid in the operation of the aircraft I will be creating a number of small youtube tutorials to assist those wishing to fly the aircraft.
    Should appear at your vendor of choice as a free update soon!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

That's very good news, thanks for the notification.
    I hope this new version will help us forget the original one.
    By the way, is there any description of the changes made in this new version anywhere ?

Oh, and thanks to the IRIS team for updating that bird, finally.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    By the way, is there any description of the changes made in this new version anywhere ?
    Found this on Facebook:

Mid-Life Upgrade for the IRIS Airforce Series - Tactical Airlifter product.

The items being focused on currently are in no particular order;

* Brand new flight model based on the agility and short field operations the C-27J Spartan is famous for.

* A rework of the existing code to aid in multiplayer functions and overall systems simulation.

* Implimentation of the IRIS 'Aegis I Avionics Suite' providing new FMC, PFD, MFD and SFD units to the existing cockpit.

* Remastering of the engine and internal audio.

We're estimating that the MLU should take no longer than 4 weeks to complete at this stage. (Completed on 29th September 2014!) Better late than never!
    And:

The adjustments to this product are significant and come at no additional cost. Some of the more obvious changes in this version are as follows;
    Improved Flight Dynamics to provide more agile handling and improve upon the existing short field landing and take-off characteristics.
    A complete rework of the on-board displays to improve their clarity and function.
    Addition of an FMS unit which gives the capability to manage the aircraft’s customised systems and monitor preset FSX/P3D flight plans.
    The ability to manage aircraft configurations ‘on the fly’, adding and configuring various individual components such as AEW items and MC-27J style items.
    Volumetric Propellers
    There are more changes, but these ones are at the top of my head
    Bunch of screenshots here as well: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5552415&type=1
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Thanks for the heads-up, Ferry. Pretty sure I purchased my Spartan elsewhere, so I'll wait a little longer for the update to be available.

I bought it few years ago in PC Aviator, it will be free update?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    I bought it few years ago in PC Aviator, it will be free update?
    Yes. that is direct word from Iris.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FYI, I just checked at Simmarket and saw the new model is on sale there now and I also checked to see if my account downloads (for my original C-27J order) had been updated and in fact they have free of charge! Once I get some time behind this new version, I will be doing a mini-review of it.

BTW, those who bought the original C-27J model will still see the old title on their account order history but when you go to re-download the new installer, it will be titled: iris_airforce_tact_fsx.exe

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for that detail, Storm. Good to know it is in at least some online stores already!

One thing that put me off this was the start up procedure, has this changed or is there a way to sort cut it. Lazy yes, but I just like to get in and fly.

Quote Originally Posted by noddy View Post
    One thing that put me off this was the start up procedure, has this changed or is there a way to sort cut it. Lazy yes, but I just like to get in and fly.
    Yes, my quick flight with it I saw where you can change the panel states in the left FMC to where it is ready to takeoff.

Overall it flies very well but the new FDE is NOT carefree in handling! In other words, it flies like a real plane of this size. There's a lot to dig through on it which will take some days.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not sure if it has been update on Flightsimstore yet, as not showing the title iris_airforce_tact_fsx.exe. Mine is version 1.2.

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Yes, my quick flight with it I saw where you can change the panel states in the left FMC to where it is ready to takeoff.

Overall it flies very well but the new FDE is NOT carefree in handling! In other words, it flies like a real plane of this size. There's a lot to dig through on it which will take some days.
    Another question, because I have exactely the same concerns as Noddy: in the original version, there were two main things that were really disturbing me:
    - it was not possible to start only one engine: the startup was triggering both engines everytime automatically
    - the behavior of the engine thrust on ground was a bit strange, as if somebody would give a kick to the plane as soon as you would touch the throttle command... As a consequence, it was quite unpleasant to taxi that plane.

How is it now ? I could download the new version but I didn't have the time to install it yet :/

Hi guys,

I'm in the middle of housework at the moment, but I thought I'd drop in to answer some of your questions..

Noddy, you can cheat the startup.. If you load the aircraft from an aircraft that's already running, the Battlefield Airlifter will be ready to go. In addition, using the FMS, press MENU, then click the button for SYSTEM PAGE, then PANEL STATES to find a number of different configurations.

If you're loading the plane and it's cold and dark, to cheat, just press MENU on the FMS to go straight to the PANEL STATES page, then select either POWERED UP - APU or POWERED UP - ENGINES.

Daube,

The entire FDE was replaced and this new one along with pretty much an entire code re-write fixes the issues of the engines starting up at the same time and a variety of other issues. A lot of the items we had set manually for the pilot are now fully automated (I can't recall exactly what ones), though we have done extensive testing with single engine work and other items.

Taxiing is fine IMO. My general thing is to start the engines with the park brake on, release the brakes and just nudge the power to get rolling, you don't need a lot. She turns around in a dime with full steering lock and loves short field work. One element we couldn't fix was the reverse thrust. Whilst it's great when you're say sub-30 knots, higher speeds just doesn't have the massive effect that the real plane does... so the way you do short field landings? Land just above stall speed of about 110 knots, hit the brakes, hit full reverse thrust and she'll slow down and stop in about 300m depending on the weight of the aircraft.

Just remember to take reverse thrust off before you hit zero, otherwise you'll go rocketing off backwards..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great many thanks for the fast response.

Thanks a lot for these explanations !!

My pleasure guys...anything to get me away from cleaning the kitchen! If you have any more, please let me know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sorry 1 more, is V1.2 correct version? I purchased via FlightsimStore

Sadly the P3Dv2 version isn't part of the free upgrade.
    At least not at simmarket. Why not?
    Are there any major differences between the two verions??
    I waited for the update very long, but it would be not fair to cash extra money for no good reason!!

Battlefield Airlifter is 1.1, if you see a download for the Tactical Airlifter Version 1.2, you have the old version. If in doubt, double check the file properties and look for the created date. Adrian had time with his kids today, so I'd imagine he'd have it online tomorrow all going well. Family first in my book!

As for the P3D version, you are correct, the upgrade is platform for platform, FSX upgrade for the FSX original. We do offer a discount on the P3D version though for those who've purchased the older product and are upgrading. The code gives you the cost of the 29.99 AUD off the P3D/FSX bundle, thus you're only paying the difference of 5 dollars AUD to get the P3D version. Just drop me an e-mail to david@irissimulations.com.au with your order number and store of purchase for verification and I'll sort you out with a discount code.

They're essentially both the same product, it's the licensing that's different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very cool, now I'm having a senior moment, I don't remember where I bought it. It's not the first time I'll have to check them all until I find it.

Glenn

At The Flightsim store I'm not seeing a free download for the FsX Battlefield Airlifter, only my original order for the C-27?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    At The Flightsim store I'm not seeing a free download for the FsX Battlefield Airlifter, only my original order for the C-27?
    Same issue here Roger. It appears the new version is now for sale at the Flightsim Store however my account only shows a download link for the original. I've emailed them to see when/if they're planning to upgrade accounts of existing customers.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Yep I am in the same boat, FSS waiting for them to update current C27J customer's.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Good to go for those of us that originally purchased from SimMarket.

Members who have read this thread: 4