JF Hurricane repaints?

Thread: JF Hurricane repaints?

JF Hurricane repaints?

Does anyone know of any JF Hurricane repaints? I have Gajit's Egypt scheme but infinite Googling has produced no more results.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Hi Roger:-)

I can't recall having seen any and this may in part be due to the lack of PK or easy access to it. A PK is available but not with the download. You have to request it at JF and a link is given.

It's a decent model and type that deserves more paints. Shame it's been left alone. I eventually got the PK for it but it took so long to get, I'd moved on to something else!
    ATB
    DaveB

Hi Dave,
    I checked CBFSIM too but to no avail :-)! It would be good to see some repaints for the Hurri as it is a good model.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Hi Dave,
    I checked CBFSIM too but to no avail :-)! It would be good to see some repaints for the Hurri as it is a good model.
    This. I tried to search Finnish Air Force paints a while ago and couldn't find anything, something like this:

Not surprising, as there wasn't paints to be found at all, pretty much. I think one reason is that the paintkit through JF site is crap, it is just textures without .psd layered files. You can get .psd files through support email though, I've heard. I've been thinkong getting them and trying to do something myself...

Hello Mate..

Yep.. the paintkit available at JF in the support section is basically the Hurricane model with a set of textures. I couldn't believe my eyes when I downloaded it. Thought it must be some sort of mistake! But.. a proper layered PK IS available but it's only given by request (support ticket). I've no idea why this is as the model is advertised as coming with a PK.
    I'll see if I can find it and if anyone with the model would like a copy, I'll make it available;-) I might even get around to doing the PR Hurricane one day

ATB
    DaveB

When I saw this thread I went back to check the Hurricane paint kit I had gotten at time of purchase only to find DDS and BMP textures so I went to the Just Flight web sight and downloaded the one they have up now which is a proper PSD kit if anyone is interested. Also found a service pack I was not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by gradyhappyg View Post
    When I saw this thread I went back to check the Hurricane paint kit I had gotten at time of purchase only to find DDS and BMP textures so I went to the Just Flight web sight and downloaded the one they have up now which is a proper PSD kit if anyone is interested. Also found a service pack I was not aware of.
    Whaat!? I just redownloaded the paintkit and it was just full of .dds and .bmp files, no .psd. I've installed the SP, though.

Here is where I picked it up from customer service, service packs,fixes/updates from the Battle of Britain 70th Anniversary edition. Not the individual one. This is not an installer just the files zipped up.

http://www.justflight.com/support/ba...ersary/111a4b9

Downloaded it again just to make sure.

I eventually found the Hurricane PK this morning on my old XP machine. Odd that the zip George sent from the JF dropbox is only 8mb yet the version on the BoB Paintkit page is 30mb! I don't remember downloading the SP so that's useful

ATB
    DaveB

Actually....someone has done repaints, but they were never released. I do not have a machine that can handle FSX anymore. If someone is interested, I would be willing to offer my layered paint kit, including new bump files. I will not upload for anybody and everybody. The total file size is close to 2 gb. If someone has a suggestion where I could put them temporarily for a few days for some of you to download, I will be willing to upload them. I'm sure I will have to break them down into smaller packages.

They will not have the weathering layers, but will have all the panel lines, rivets, fastners etc. Just let me know. I would like to see someone finish them.
    Sorry, not the best of pictures.

Attachment 12676Attachment 12677Attachment 12678

My how times have changed.

It seems these days that a paintkit is a mandatory demand with every release.

The Hurricane was developed when paintkits were a distinct option and not available on a vast majority of releases.

When I started painting there was no such thing as a paintkit. You learned to do it yourself going over the existing tiles.

Anyone like to guess how long it takes to produce a "proper" paintkit?

These days people aren't happy unless they have full layered PSD files with all the hard work done, weathering, rivets, panel lines etc. all here.

Just add the markings and claim the glory. Easy.

That's not really fair bazzar. Paintkits have been available with payware products for a long time.. it's only recently that the trend seems to have gone the other way with dev's offering a blank white texture 'instead of'. As for the Hurricane.. it is advertised as supplied with a layered paintkit

Textures
    • Highly detailed texture mapping without compromising frame rates
    • Layered paint kit included to help create your own liveries (suitable additional paint program such as Photoshop required)
    These sort of comments don't sit well with the buying public I'm afraid!

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    My how times have changed.

It seems these days that a paintkit is a mandatory demand with every release.

The Hurricane was developed when paintkits were a distinct option and not available on a vast majority of releases.

When I started painting there was no such thing as a paintkit. You learned to do it yourself going over the existing tiles.

These days people aren't happy unless they have full layered PSD files with all the hard work done, weathering, rivets, panel lines etc. all here.

Just add the markings and claim the glory. Easy.
    Much respect to you Baz, but as a non-painter who appreciates the skills of those who can and do 'claim the glory' I'm grateful that there are developers who don't think like that.

and as a painter who can and has done it in all possible ways (original textures, white textures, paintkit), I can say that I very much appreciate a paintkit. It makes life easier, and in some cases, the end results better.
    I do not demand a paintkit, but if a model is very difficult to paint (due to complex textures and/or the lack of a paintkit), I may decide not to buy it.
    No problem, there are lots of models that are easy to paint, with great paintkits that I still don't buy because the aircraft does not interest me.

So, if I was a developer, I would like it if people are tempted to buy my creation, and if paintable textures or a paintkit help, why not include them?

and Baz "When I started painting there was no such thing as a paintkit. You learned to do it yourself going over the existing tiles.",

when I first became interested in aviation, there was no flightsim. You built your own models out of wood or plastic .... That doesn't mean I still do it....
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

DaveB said "These sort of comments don't sit well with the buying public I'm afraid!"

As part of the buying public, I agree. Fortunately, my first experience with payware was Alphasim. most of their models came with paintkits long before FSX. And as for "adding the markings and claiming the glory" my uploaded repaints came with this in the readme "Thanks to Alphasim for their excellent models (which include a paint kit), first class customer service and value for money."

I always look for a layered paint kit when buying, imagine my disappointment when I bought the BoB and Mosquito from JF with "layered Paintkit". Would love a proper Hurricane paintkit.

(I have just finished a night shift so am a bit grumpy anyway)

With regard to Alphasim (Virtavia), other developers are available.

P.S. DaveB is no relation.
    Norwich, a fine city.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrunt View Post
    Whaat!? I just redownloaded the paintkit and it was just full of .dds and .bmp files, no .psd. I've installed the SP, though.
    Apologies, the link on the support page was pointing to the incorrect set of files.

I have updated the link so it now points to the PSD paintkit - http://www.justflight.com/support/ba...ricane/0f37bbf

Just to be clear, we always endeavour to provide a satisfactory paintkit but we can't guarantee that every product will have separate decal/dirt/window layers etc. Please contact me via PM or contact our support team to point out any missing or incorrectly advertised paintkits. We can then rectify the issue asap.
    Martyn
    Just Flight Development Manager

No, I am the one who needs to apologise.

Mistakenly, I was still thinking of the original Hurri we made. 10 years ago.

That's what age does to you.

Sorry everyone.

No, I am the one who needs to apologise.Mistakenly, I was still thinking of the original Hurri we made. 10 years ago.That's what age does to you.Sorry everyone.
    Spoken like a gentleman, sir.

In the free time left beside my full time job, it takes me about 3 weeks to create a reasonably simple paintkit. Should detailed weathering be included it will take an additional 2 or 3 weeks. Extreme detailed paintkits like those from Martin Catney and John Terrell will take months to make (and an awful lot of skills!)

That's why customers like the developer/publisher to issue the paintkit. Personally I think paintkits have a positive effect on selling models. I can recall several models which became very popular due to the large amount of repaints made for them. Repaint also keep a model "alive"....

Just my 2 cents,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 2