Aircraft Carrier Trap Zones

Thread: Aircraft Carrier Trap Zones

Aircraft Carrier Trap Zones

Maybe someone remembers an Exel utility I remember getting with an Abucus Vietnam ops? Maybe. It helped you set up the rcbco-20 trap zones like this:

[Zone00]
    CarrierIdent=HMNZS WAIKATO Hauraki Gulf, Auckland
    FrontRightCornerLat=-36.49922769
    FrontRightCornerLon=174.9189581
    FrontLeftCornerLat=-36.49919992
    FrontLeftCornerLon=174.9193295
    BackLeftCornerLat=-36.49891869
    BackLeftCornerLon=174.9192944
    BackRightCornerLat=-36.49896398
    BackRightCornerLon=174.9189225
    RunwayHeadingInDegreesMag=153
    DeckAltInFeet=70.2

I have misplaced my file over the years. Maybe I buy it again. I think it came with their WWII ops or the Vietnam ops package I don't want to purchase the wrong one or maybe I can download it free somewhere.
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler with Triple Monitors

Hi...

I use a different trick with AFCAD to get the coordinates, but I do remember that excel file.

the file is called ''MakeCableCatchZone.xls''...and its contained on this file over at flightsim.com.

FS2004 (ACOF) - Misc.FS2004 ArrCab 2.5
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: arrcab25.zip
    Size: 2,403,235 Date: 02-04-2008 Downloads: 1,333

FS2004 ArrCab 2.5. Arrestor Cables 2.5 from Abacus, by Richard Hogen. This is equipped for Carriers 2006 Alphasim Big E and the vUSN KNTU. By AJ Pasko.
    Juan Antonio Martinez C.
    MMMY

USN/USAF TRAINERS &FIGHTERS:
    F9F-2/8, F-11F, F1/2/3H, F-4N, F7U, F-8, A-4, A4D, A-7, F-86, F-86D, F-101, F-102, F-105, F-106, T-28, T-33, T-34, T-2C
    s990.photobucket.com/albums/af30/antoniojrmty

Quote Originally Posted by antoniojrmty View Post
    Hi...

I use a different trick with AFCAD to get the coordinates, but I do remember that excel file.

the file is called ''MakeCableCatchZone.xls''...and its contained on this file over at flightsim.com.

FS2004 (ACOF) - Misc.FS2004 ArrCab 2.5
    [ Download | View ]
    Name: arrcab25.zip
    Size: 2,403,235 Date: 02-04-2008 Downloads: 1,333

FS2004 ArrCab 2.5. Arrestor Cables 2.5 from Abacus, by Richard Hogen. This is equipped for Carriers 2006 Alphasim Big E and the vUSN KNTU. By AJ Pasko.
    What is your method If I might ask?
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler with Triple Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by uniform7 View Post
    What is your method If I might ask?
    The work sheet and pictures showing you are not in there I already looked. Maybe your way will help
    Mike G.

Hi.

I forgot to mention that I use this method because I'm placing some classic carriers around the westpac and mediterranean areas.....its a personal scenery that includes Essex class, forrestal class carriers and others from different authors....something very simple that I wanted to make.....in basis they are static ships using the same method as the ''Carriers 2006'' nimitz carrier package from Fernando Martinez....also available at flightsim.......and I used the same ocean flattens and AFCAD deck techniques, but for the arresting and catapult zones, I edit them manually gettig the coordinates directly from AFCAD .....using slew control , then pinpointing the corners with the AFCAD nodes ..........it´s a bit tricky and could be confusing on the first attempts....but once you understand the logic of the entries and get it done correctly....nexts attempts will be more easy.

BTW, there is also a file at flightsim.com that has already the arresting and catapult entries to be used in several available carrier packages.....I don't know if you already looked at it, but assuming you are intending to include a carrier with hardened deck not included on this files......here are the basic instructions.....the very first thing to do is to copy an entry , just as the example you posted ....paste it into a notepad and work from there, you can set the name of the carrier, location, etc.

----It will be more easy if you use FS9 not on full screen....so you can easily switch between AFCAD and FS9...

1.- Having both AFCAD AND FS9 OPEN , use slew control and set your plane on the carrier landing heading....alligned as accurately as possible with the runway
    2.- if the carrier has an AFCAD already made, go to that ''airport''...if not, open ANY OTHER AIRPORT and use the ''lock the map location'' option on AFCAD...it will automatically set your location ......
    3.- on AFCAD, open the Tools...options menu and select the fisrt Lat-Lon format

4.- Slewing in FS9....but without changing the runway heading....move back, forward, left or right to locate the ''square'' where the arresting zone will be....each time you locate a corner press the period key on your keyboard.....when FS9 is locked with AFCAD it automatically places a node on the plane's location...REPEAT THE STEP FOR THE REST OF THE CORNERS.

5.- once the 4 corners are pinpointed in ACFAD, it should look something loke this.....in my case, I use an afcad with surface and runway.....but here's the logic of each of the ARRCAB entries....in strict order.

6.- Select each node properities and copy-paste Lat and Lon values into your entries .... do not copy the N,S,W,E letters ....the arrcab entries use positive or negative numbers on the lat-lon values...so the logic here goes like this.
    N..... positive
    S..... negative
    E..... positive
    W.... negative
    in total, you will copy and paste 8 values and match them positive or negative , the image below shows the very first entry to copy...just continue with the strict order as image above..

7.- Once you have completed the latitude and longitude entries, set the ''RunwayHeadingInDegreesMag'' ....this will be the magnetic heading shown at the top of the screen when slewing in FS9.....

8.- For nimitz carriers the altitude is usually 70.5 FT.....any other carrier will require a trial and error procedure to get the correct altitude......but after that its done, you can now copy your new entry into the dsd arresting zones file, set a consecutive number on the first line....and save.

I hope this explanation helps you...I'm not good providing instructions....but let me know if you have any troubles and I can help.

GOOD LUCK.
    Juan Antonio Martinez C.
    MMMY

F9F-2/8, F-11F, F1/2/3H, F-4N, F7U, F-8, A-4, A4D, A-7, F-86, F-86D, F-101, F-102, F-105, F-106, T-28, T-33, T-34, T-2C

Ha! I just spent over an hour dividing the lon and lat numbers by 60. close open close open. Finally got something close. Now you should me the feature with ADE very NICE! I will use that to! Thanks
    Mike G.

uniform7,
    PM me your email address and I'll send you the Excel worksheet for the cable catch zones. The format is the same for both Arrestor Cables (ArrCab) and the RCBCO gauges except ArrCab asks for cable catch zone height which is usually 2.4 feet.

Must admit I cheat, and have Rob Barendregt's RCBO gauges set up to 'trap' anytime the hook makes contact with a hardened surface...(its' in the readme) means I can use a new carrier without having to set up a catch zone first

ttfn

Pete

Catch Zones

Du, ADE gives me the number at the upper left corner after connecting to FS9. Thanks all.
    Mike G.

Great!

nice to see it was useful for you.....just some practice and next one you'll get it done quickly

All the best.
    Juan Antonio Martinez C.
    MMMY

Oh ya, took me all of five minutes. Dead center! Thanks again!
    Mike G.

Members who have read this thread: 0