Radial engined Chipmunk?!?

Thread: Radial engined Chipmunk?!?

Radial engined Chipmunk?!?

Came across this vid while surfing YouTube for videos of Rotec Radial-powered Kitfox 7's. Looks like they're running a 9-cylinder R3600 (150 hp)...

Can't say it does much for a classic airplane's looks, but if it works it works...

N.

BTW, Peterborough's my hometown, with Lindsay some 30 mins drive west of it. There are no mountains in the area, so that must've been filmed elsewhere, maybe out west or over the Laurentians in Quebec...

Interesting. Are replacement parts for the original engines becoming so difficult to find that installing modern engines is becoming a better option?
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Looks like a clean Install, and I like the belly tank!

It's just odd not to see a Chippie without the telltale Gipsy cowling!

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Interesting. Are replacement parts for the original engines becoming so difficult to find that installing modern engines is becoming a better option?
    They are and they aren't. The De Havilland Gypsy series of engines are practically legendary for their durability and efficiency of design, but like all things they can and do eventually wear out. One problem that apparently exists is with older model engines that employ bronze alloy cylinder heads. Seems that modern AvGas and these old heads don't mix and serious corrosion issues can arise. These have to be swapped out for aluminum heads with stainless steel valve seats that are much more resistant to erosion (not sure what, if any, issue there maybe if MoGas is used instead of AvGas. Don't know if Gypsy engines are cleared to use it...). I can't say what the availability of these heads is as I do know that the in-house DH component of British Aerospace still has a maintenance program that supports vintage De Havilland products, so whether or not they have a stock of these heads and other engine parts on hand, or if they manufacture small batches for the community as demand warrants, is something I really can't answer.

It could be in the case of this particular aircraft that it was a "What if?" deal. Expensive notion, though - Rotec's ain't cheap...

N.

I prefer the original engine but they did a nice job with the radial mod. Kinda looks like a Vultee BT-13/SNV.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    I prefer the original engine but they did a nice job with the radial mod. Kinda looks like a Vultee BT-13/SNV.
    Or a NAA Yale that didn't eat its Wheaties...

Just to illustrate, the Kitfox 7 Super Sport with the 7-cylinder Rotec R2800 radial makes for a very attractive airplane indeed...

N.

Members who have read this thread: 3