F9F Exhaust
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F9F Exhaust

F9F Exhaust

Hi guys,

I've been having the best time with CFS3! Mostly in ETO and MAW, but also Korea.

One question on the F9F. The exhaust graphic shoots straight down instead of straight back. The trailing black smoke is fine, but that first 10 or 12 feet of exhaust, which I think is a different graphic is shooting straight down. It is most noticeable when starting the engine, and not so bad in flight as it is almost clear. Is it possible to fix this? For a layman like me it seems like it would mean rotating the graphic 90 degrees in a file that orients the graphics. Can this be done. Or can someone tell me in what file I might find something like this? If it is a compiled file I won't be able to do anything, but would be glad to dig through a text file to see what I can find.

Thanks!

Update...

I've found some exhaust settings in effects.xml that include angles from horizontal and vertical (EmissionAngleHoriz="180" EmissionAngleVert="90"). But as this file affects the entire game and the fact that the exhaust on all the other jets seems to point directly back as it should I'm thinking if I change anything in this file I'll mess up the exhaust on the planes where it displays correctly. I will give it a try later tonight and report back, but I'm not hopeful so any other ideas would be great! I think this fix would need to come at the individual aircraft model files level. The F9F kind of looks like a VTOL when the engine starts up

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    I think this fix would need to come at the individual aircraft model files level.
    Correct! Effects originate from emitters placed by the model designer. In this case the emitter was set with an incorrectly alligned pivot. I'm afraid there's nothing you can do without the model source file. Unless somebody is able to find through hex editing where, within the .m3d file, axis orientation of model parts is stored, which I highly doubt.
    Luca

instead of an emmiter you may be able to set up an effect location in the xdp.

for example this worked for the startup effect in a plane I just tried. you will have to play with the position #'s

<Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="-9.65" PosZ="-0.1" PosY="0.15" />

not sure how well it works for jet exhaust effects dont have time to try it

ok, after playing with the p80, I can confirm this works with the stock jet effects.

cheers

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi Kodiak,

in the aircraft xdp file right down the bottom you'll see an effects section. should look something like this.

<Effects>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt_jet" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l" />
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_haze" MinThrottle="-10" MaxThrottle="400" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l" />
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_slow_p80" MinThrottle="-10" MaxThrottle="30" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l" />
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_low_p80" MinThrottle="30" MaxThrottle="55" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l" />
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_med_p80" MinThrottle="55" MaxThrottle="85" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l" />
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_high_p80" MinThrottle="85" MaxThrottle="400" Location="emitter_eng0_exh_l" />
    <Effect Type="Shells0" EffectName="fx_shells_s" Location="gun_grp0b0" />
    <Effect Type="Shells1" EffectName="fx_shells_s" Location="gun_grp1b0" />
    </Effects>

the first one startEngine0 is using the effect called fx_engstrt_jet and its using the emitter_eng0_exh_I as the position on the aircraft to place the visual effect in game. the emmiter is a small dumby node built into the model, and these nodes can have any orientation applied to them in the model. in this case its sounds like effect is calling for a rotaion in the effect, rather than the node being rotated. I say this becuase the same emitter is being used to control the location of the smoke etc which you say is aligned correctly.

As you say changing the effect values in the actual effects.xml may have unwanted results for other things using the same effect. You can use X Y and Z co-ordinates to control the location of an effect instead of modelled emitter locations.
    Below is the effects from a P51 in ETO and you can see the engine start is StartEngine0 effect but is locating it with X,Y and Z numbers.
    The XY&Z numbers are relevent to a central position in the model X=left and right of centre Y= forward and back of centre, Z=UP and down of centre. use a negitive to go left, down or back and a positive number to go right, up and forward. its a lot of trial and error to set it up. but once you have done it a couple of times it gets easier to judge how big or small a number to use to get the effect placed where you want it.

<Effects>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_formation_red" PosX="5.32" PosZ="-0.12" PosY="-0.18" MinVel="1" MaxVel="70"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_formation_green" PosX="5.32" PosZ="-0.34" PosY="-0.18" MinVel="1" MaxVel="70"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_formation_yellow" PosX="5.32" PosZ="-0.56" PosY="-0.18" MinVel="1" MaxVel="70"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_nav_green" PosX="5.65" PosZ="-0.15" PosY="-0.09" MinVel="1" MaxVel="70"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_nav_red" PosX="-5.65" PosZ="-0.15" PosY="-0.09" MinVel="1" MaxVel="70"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_ac_Light_tail" PosX="0" PosZ="-6.32" PosY="0.38" MinVel="1" MaxVel="70"></Effect>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="0.52" PosZ="2.2" PosY="0.0"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt" PosX="-0.52" PosZ="2.2" PosY="0.0"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.52" PosZ="1.7" PosY="0.0"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.52" PosZ="1.95" PosY="0.0"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="0.52" PosZ="2.2" PosY="0.0"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.52" PosZ="1.7" PosY="0.0"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.52" PosZ="1.95" PosY="0.0"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fighter_exhaust_blue_flame" PosX="-0.52" PosZ="2.2" PosY="0.0"/>
    <Effect Type="Shells2" EffectName="fx_shells_s" Location="gun_grp2b0"/>
    <Effect Type="Shells3" EffectName="fx_shells_s" Location="gun_grp3b0"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_N_gtrail" PosX="5.63" PosY="-0.05" PosZ="-0.4" MinVel="200" MaxVel="205"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_N_gtrail" PosX="-5.63" PosY="-0.05" PosZ="-0.4" MinVel="200" MaxVel="205"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_N_gtrail" PosX="5.63" PosY="-0.05" PosZ="-0.4" MinVel="80" MaxVel="110"/>
    <Effect Type="Track" EffectName="fx_N_gtrail" PosX="-5.63" PosY="-0.05" PosZ="-0.4" MinVel="80" MaxVel="110"/>
    </Effects>

If I get a bit of spare time I'll see if i can sort out the F9 and post what I did so you can make the same change.

regards Rob.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Hi Kodiak,

not sure what happened earlier today, when I posted I thought I was the first replier, did'nt see Luca or Steve's post's at all. so my post seems to be redundant.

I cant edit my previous post, I made it from work without access to CFS3. the three axis orientations are actually:
    X = left and right movement. - being left + being right
    Y = up and down movement - being down + being up
    Z = forward and backwards - being backwards + being forward

between all our posts you should be able to fix your F9.

regards Rob.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your responses and I will have a go at trying to fix this based on the information you supplied.

I also appreciate the information and the chance to learn, as based on the information Rob gave me on how to add planes (in the most recent Lancaster thread) I was able to successfully add the Gloster Meteor to KTCS and the second Forgotten War campaign for the RAAF in Aug 1951.

So the time you're taking in these explanations is not going to waste (at least I'll try)

P.S. But if someone figures this out before I do it won't hurt my feelings either...lol

Ok, my first attempts aren't getting anywhere using this code. I kept everything except for the Location="emitter..." portion which I replaced with the x,z,y coordinate information in the xdp file for the F9F:

<Effects>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt_jet" PosX="10" PosZ="10" PosY="10" />
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_haze" MinThrottle="-10" MaxThrottle="400" PosX="10" PosZ="10" PosY="10" />
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_slow_p80" MinThrottle="-10" MaxThrottle="30" PosX="10" PosZ="10" PosY="10" />
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_low_p80" MinThrottle="30" MaxThrottle="55" PosX="10" PosZ="10" PosY="10" />
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_med_p80" MinThrottle="55" MaxThrottle="85" PosX="10" PosZ="10" PosY="10" />
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_high_p80" MinThrottle="85" MaxThrottle="400" PosX="10" PosZ="10" PosY="10" />
    <Effect Type="Shells0" EffectName="fx_shells_s" Location="gun_grp0b0" />
    <Effect Type="Shells1" EffectName="fx_shells_s" Location="gun_grp1b0" />
    </Effects>

I first tried using "0" (zero) as the value for all three positions and nothing happened, which I kind of expected. But when I put new values in all positions I expected something to happen (good or bad) but the exhaust doesn't move no matter what values I use. Maybe my syntax is not correct?

Here is an image of what I'm trying to fix just for reference:

Thanks for helping me try to fix this!

Hi Kodiak,

Just a quick one, whenever you edit the xdp file or the air.file you need to delete the file with the extension .bdp. the game will build a new one the next time it starts.
    The BDP file is like a shorthand version of the compiled information contained in the xdp, air file and .cfg files, this helps the game run a bit faster.

If you do not delete this file the game will continue to run with the old information. If you have deleted the .bdp file and your still having trouble, I'll try to get it going tonight for you.

regards Rob.

Houston, we have liftoff! Thank you, Rob (and everyone)...didn't know about the BDP files so deleted them and now I've moved it...about 10 feet to the right and above the cockpit...lol (I had tossed some big numbers in there trying to get a change I could see before I knew about the BDP files).

BUT...it is pointed straight back like it should so I'll adjust it down into position now. Time for me to go to bed but will start working on it again tomorow.

The Mudpond and Korean Skies models are the same IIRC with very slight differences. This should work on both but you will have to alter the entries to match your own effects.

<Effects>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_smoke_touchdown" PosX="0.0" PosY="0.0" PosZ="-5.00"/>
    <Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_jet_startup" PosX="0.0" PosY="0.0" PosZ="-5.00"/>
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_haze" MinThrottle="-10" MaxThrottle="200" PosX="0.0" PosY="0.0" PosZ="-5.00"/>
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_slow" MinThrottle="-10" MaxThrottle="30" PosX="0.0" PosY="0.0" PosZ="-5.00"/>
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_low" MinThrottle="30" MaxThrottle="55" PosX="0.0" PosY="0.0" PosZ="-5.00"/>
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_med" MinThrottle="55" MaxThrottle="85" PosX="0.0" PosY="0.0" PosZ="-5.00"/>
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_high" MinThrottle="85" MaxThrottle="200" PosX="0.0" PosY="0.0" PosZ="-5.00"/>
    <Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_fire_high" MinThrottle="75" MaxThrottle="200" PosX="0.0" PosY="0.0" PosZ="-5.00"/>

Ok, I stayed up late and it is fixed (at least to my satisfaction) A "z" value of -5 all the way down seems to do the trick. By using this method instead of the emitter it changes the orientation to "straight back" then its only a matter of moving its starting position straight back, as it starts out under the cockpit. Here is the text:

<Effects>
    < Effect Type="StartEngine0" EffectName="fx_engstrt_jet" PosX="0" PosZ="-5" PosY="0" />
    < Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_haze" MinThrottle="-10" MaxThrottle="400" PosX="0" PosZ="-5" PosY="0" />
    < Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_slow_p80" MinThrottle="-10" MaxThrottle="30" PosX="0" PosZ="-5" PosY="0" />
    < Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_low_p80" MinThrottle="30" MaxThrottle="55" PosX="0" PosZ="-5" PosY="0" />
    < Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_med_p80" MinThrottle="55" MaxThrottle="85" PosX="0" PosZ="-5" PosY="0" />
    < Effect Type="JetExhaust0" EffectName="fx_jet_high_p80" MinThrottle="85" MaxThrottle="400" PosX="0" PosZ="-5" PosY="0" />
    < Effect Type="Shells0" EffectName="fx_shells_s" Location="gun_grp0b0" />
    < Effect Type="Shells1" EffectName="fx_shells_s" Location="gun_grp1b0" />
    < /Effects>

There were two XDP files for the F9F, one regular one and one that ends in _ai which I assume is different tweaks for AI planes? In any case I changed both files. More experienced eyes might want to look at the end result if this is placed anywhere for others, but I tried to match it to a Mig-15 exhaust as far as depth in the cone and the integer value of -5 seemed to work best.

Thanks!!!

Now I really have to go to bed!!!

Hi Foo Fighter,

I was typing when you posted your note, so -5 it is then!

And I really like the skin on that F9F...is it one that can be used on the Korean Skies F9F and if so where can I find it. The F9F in Korean Skies only has an instrument panel but nothing below that (but I'm not complaining). If your F9F model can be used in Korean Skies I'd like the skin and maybe the whole plane if it has a complete cockpit.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm really enjoying this KTCS mod as there really hasn't been anything done with Korea since Mig Alley many years ago. My main interest is WWI and WWII but Korea was the last of the pure dogfighting era and also a lot of fun!

Thanks but I'm just a skinner. I believe Jerry Beckwith (Mudpond website) has made the only F-9 available for CFS3. There are several versions of it around (Mudpond, AvHistory and Korean Skies) but the DPC Korean Skies version seems to be just a bit better in terms of texture mapping and mod'ing. And I think that one is derived from the AvHistory model.

Anyway, look for the skin in the download section tonight or tomorrow along with a few extras.

That sounds great, Foo Fighter...I'll look forward to using your skin (plus any extras)!

Just submitted five skins. They won't win any awards but they are good enough to shoot down.

Thanks for these skins, Foo Fighter! I really like that VF-153 two-tone also

Will be fun to try them all out!

The happy ending to this thread! Thanks everybody for your help

Icon26

not quite. is this cougar in the orea add-on or found somehwere else. dont recall it. can someone post a link.thx.

This is the F9F that comes with KTCS wearing one of the new F9F skins just uploaded by Foo Fighter in the CFS3 Downloads area!

I was taking a fresh look at these as I was adjusting the environmental reflections for AnKor's new shaders. The spent cannon shell casings currently appear from right in front of the cockpit, and fly up and back into the rudder and elevator.

I used a similar fix to use XZY coordinates instead of the modeled emitter locations and moved these to a more believable position along the bottom behind the dive brake. This avoids the appearance of damaging the flight controls, or dumping them into the engine intakes.

<Effect Type="Shells0" EffectName="fx_shells_s" PosX="-0.25" PosZ="3" PosY="-0.50" />
    <Effect Type="Shells1" EffectName="fx_shells_s" PosX="0.25" PosZ="3" PosY="-.50" />

If anyone knows the actual location where the casings were ejected I'd love to place these correctly, but I came up dry trying to find a clear reference or a picture.

For the glossy navy blue finish I found that the lighter parts of the *_r.dds files needed to be increased from 3% or 8% brightness to 15% to get the right amount of shine to match what I could see in some of the vintage photos. I have my d3d8.ini settings at 5 for reflection and 1 for glossiness.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Compare this to the image in post #12 above to see the change from the default flat paint finish.

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Nice work Major. I'll have to revisit those skins and make some adjustments now. They were made before Ankor appeared on the scene and I struggled a bit with the r.dds to make the blue appear glossy without going overboard. I assume that is not the Korean Skies environment but ETO/PTO?

I have several books on the F-9 and I vaguely remember reading that the shell casings were not ejected for fear of fouling the intakes(?), which is why I didn't add any. I can't locate that info just now so don't qoute me on it. Early Panthers had two ammo boxes under the cockpit and then later they moved them to the nose cone with the other two. I have cutaways of both versions and neither shows ejection ports (or even shell collection areas for that matter). Another of life's mysteries.

It's actually a stock copy of CFS3 that I have set up with jets only!

I had wondered if they kept the casings on board, but couldn't find anything definitive on it. One thing that did happen part way into field service was the addition of vents along the side of the nose cone. The nose was removable to service the guns, and evidently under some flight conditions the gas bleeding off from the cannon recoil mechanism would build up enough internal pressure to pop it off. This vent initially appeared as a raised vertical bump near the seam where the nose was latched onto body. Later this was replaced with pairs of more aerodynamic recessed ports. It's clear that these were not used to eject the casings too as they are in close proximity to the engine intakes. Even the bulk of the gun gases would not be desirable to have them vented in this way, so they really were just to limit the pressure differential from exceeding the strength of the latches.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 0