Flight simulator Cockpit Plans

Thread: Flight simulator Cockpit Plans

Blog Entries

Flight simulator Cockpit Plans

Ok......
    My daughter went and told a friend about my secret project......Putting together a set of plans for cockpits for your favorite aircraft.....
    These cockpits will be true to life in every aspect, except for the larger planes, like the B24, B17, B29 which are designed for a pilot and co-pilot, these will be somewhat shorter in width to allow for solo operations.....
    Parts will include numerous materials, including Plastic, Balsa wood, Fiberglass, and resign to name a few......
    Here are a couple of shots.

I will post the plans and parts and cost sheets for each cockpit i design......
    Cockpits will include( SO FAR).
    P51, P40, P47, F4U Corsair, B25, B17, B24, Hellcat, TBM Avenger, C172 and the Piper Cherokee.
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

Wow! you got a lot on your plate. Hope it all works out.

Nice shot of that "Hog" panel, possibly an F4U-4, fitted with a GPS and coms and navs. Keep us posted on your progress!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Nice shot of that "Hog" panel, possibly an F4U-4, fitted with a GPS and coms and navs. Keep us posted on your progress!

BB686

Will do.....Once these are finished, i will be posting the plans for them, as well as a cost sheet and material sheet.....
    The cockpit is a F4U-4....And will be modeled after the Corsair here on the Island.......
    These plans will be free downloads...And will be very detailed, and will have optional gauge placement, in some places. The material list will have a total for each thing i used to create these, as well as detailed instructions on the construction.
    The price list will be an approximate for the prices, of each item......
    Last edited by trucker17; September 14th, 2014 at 15:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post

BB686

Yep, it's a (edited) photo of the cockpit of the F4U-4 that was owned by Doug Mathews (then registered N240CA), and is now owned by Trent Latshaw and registered as N240CF.

Blog Entries
    I never claimed or attempted to claim that as a finished product that i created, these are pictures i am using as a guide for placement of gauges and how the parts should look, I have also taken 48 photographs of the corsair here on the island to create the same type cockpit.....
    once the cockpit is finished the plans will be posted.
    their is no reason to attempt to discredit.
    But some people have nothing better to do.

Of course, most every real cockpit is very cool and has a lot of 'gee whiz' factor, but for the purposes of flightsim I don't know why people would want an aircraft specific cockpit. It seems to me the most usefull simpit would be an enclosed and generic environement that blocks out the periphery of the room it's in, and it would be free of anything except a seat, stick, throttles, pedals and a nice large monitor. The extremely detailed VC's are your real simpit. Having an exact replica of a P-51 cockpit would be nice from a craftsman point of view, but really wouldn't go very nicely if you decided to 'fly' a Phantom.

Although, if you're the sort of person who is only going to 'fly' one type of plane, then I guess having 'that' plane's cockpit would be usefull. But honestly, who fly's just one model all the time?

I think it's a cool idea. Coincidentally, two weeks or so ago I was bored at the library and sketched up some plans for an F4U cockpit. I used some online photos of real F4Us as inspiration (including the F4U-4 one you posted above!). I'll attach my drawing below for kicks and giggles. Just thought I'd share

As to grog swiller's point, I generally agree with you as far as personal taste in home cockpits go. I do understand, though, why someone would want to build a plane-specific simpit. It may be a favorite airplane or they may just like the "going into another world" aspect of a very detailed historical cockpit. I think different cockpits put you in different states of mind: a 737, studious and thurough; an F4U, courageous and adventurous. But I'm getting a little too metaphysical here, so I'll just end it at that

Hope your designs go well, trucker17!
    Cheers,
    Alex ("Badger")

My Aviation Content: [Blog] , [YouTube] & [Twitch]
    Favorite Aircraft: FSX Grumman G-21 Goose with [Redux] , [Flight dynamics] , [Sounds] & [RealEngine]

Blog Entries
    grog swiller.
    That is the reason for the different types of Pits....
    I am also drawing up a design that would be more along a universal type of pit.....
    I also have another Heli pit in the works, to replace my old one......
    Everything is still open, and plans are always changing in design here and their.....
    Myself, I have 5 different cockpits, for different aircraft types.....All being redesigned, and plans are being made for others to download, to build their own......
    Thank you Badger85.....
    Your work looks good.....

Quote Originally Posted by grog swiller View Post
    Of course, most every real cockpit is very cool and has a lot of 'gee whiz' factor, but for the purposes of flightsim I don't know why people would want an aircraft specific cockpit. It seems to me the most usefull simpit would be an enclosed and generic environement that blocks out the periphery of the room it's in, and it would be free of anything except a seat, stick, throttles, pedals and a nice large monitor. The extremely detailed VC's are your real simpit. Having an exact replica of a P-51 cockpit would be nice from a craftsman point of view, but really wouldn't go very nicely if you decided to 'fly' a Phantom.

Although, if you're the sort of person who is only going to 'fly' one type of plane, then I guess having 'that' plane's cockpit would be usefull. But honestly, who fly's just one model all the time?
    If I could get my hands on a B-17 cockpit design I would! I think I would build an entire system around it just so I could fly it anytime I wanted to..
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by trucker17 View Post
    grog swiller.
    That is the reason for the different types of Pits....
    I am also drawing up a design that would be more along a universal type of pit.....
    I also have another Heli pit in the works, to replace my old one......
    Everything is still open, and plans are always changing in design here and their.....
    Myself, I have 5 different cockpits, for different aircraft types.....All being redesigned, and plans are being made for others to download, to build their own......
    Thank you Badger85.....
    Your work looks good.....

If you are doing a more-universal cockpit and are not Apple averse, look at the RemoteFlight Cockpit HD app for iPad: http://remoteflight.net/remote-flight-cockpit-hd

The most active and critical portion of your dash panel could be a drop-in component, and they offer different gauge types for different aircraft. I'm quite happy with the basic 6 gauges from their entry level app. I am also swapping screens to use their MAP HD app

Plans update

Quote Originally Posted by trucker17 View Post
    Ok......
    My daughter went and told a friend about my secret project......Putting together a set of plans for cockpits for your favorite aircraft.....
    These cockpits will be true to life in every aspect, except for the larger planes, like the B24, B17, B29 which are designed for a pilot and co-pilot, these will be somewhat shorter in width to allow for solo operations.....
    Parts will include numerous materials, including Plastic, Balsa wood, Fiberglass, and resign to name a few......
    Here are a couple of shots.

I will post the plans and parts and cost sheets for each cockpit i design......
    Cockpits will include( SO FAR).
    P51, P40, P47, F4U Corsair, B25, B17, B24, Hellcat, TBM Avenger, C172 and the Piper Cherokee.
    Is there any update on plans/parts?

John

Members who have read this thread: 1