Fokker/Fairchild 27 FSX native - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fokker/Fairchild 27 FSX native

Update:

Here's what it looks like before the magic begins. Adding some touches here and there. Aft fuse and tail not complete. Looking at a ton of photos!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Dorsal fin

Hi Tu Fun, looks like you need to get the latest from Bjoern, it doesn't have that shadow on the dorsal fin connected to the tail, would you be interested in doing a Piedmont Airlines scheme for the Fairchild F-27 and or the FH-227 ?, I have tons of pics for that airline.

New revision online incorporating a small fix for Tom's panel and the missing .ini files for some panel sounds and configuration.

Link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K...it?usp=sharing

Update:
    - Panel.cfg -> "F27_Native\panel"
    - "Gauges" -> FSX root folder

Thanks Bjoern.

Tanker is pressing so will work on wings/nacelle this coming weekend.

I've done both from scratch after photos. Texturing is a bloody PITA for me, so promise you retain some of of my work?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I've done both from scratch after photos. Texturing is a bloody PITA for me, so promise you retain some of of my work?
    Will do Bjoern. The wings/nacelles look good to me and will use what you did on those.

Want to check out the basic white F-27 repaint. Wings/cowls as original unscaled to 2k.

https://app.box.com/s/9t4zlwqtyh0l9m8l1w7i

A VIP is visiting Bowerman, WA (Orbx just updated this scenery a few days ago). I'll clean up the mess so as I can put a basic paint kit out in a few days.

Dang, that looks good!

Are the panel lines and rivets "burned" into the master texture or can I edit them?
    (Don't worry, it's just for the stretches.)

Very fine, Ted. Hope the paint jockeys are all over your paint kit once released. There are a multitude of options from all around the world for skinning this baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Dang, that looks good!

Are the panel lines and rivets "burned" into the master texture or can I edit them?
    (Don't worry, it's just for the stretches.)
    Yes, I find it the best way for me to do them. It's similar to bump mapping. The other technique is to paint a white or gray line adjacent to the panel line and adjust the opacity to get the right depth.

You can edit to some extent the base white textures as I have done a few times to fix some things by copy/paste method on a new layer.

Good example painting...

http://forums.x-plane.org/?showtopic=32930

VIP in the air...

Funny, Ted, you should do a VIP F-27.

As a kid I used to be thrilled to see one of these (photos of N270VR in the links below of the actual aircraft) belonging to Jock Whitney (publisher of the Herald Tribune and US Ambassador to the UK) come land and take off from the tiny - 2,328' - airport (0B8) at the West end of Fishers Island NY. I also met Leroy Grumman when I was a kid and he said he lost out selling a Gulfstream I to Whitney because it didn't have the STOL capability of the F27 to land at Fishers Island. Sound - and smell - of those Darts is something etched in my mind. The pilots once invited me inside to have a look around in the cabin and cockpit. It was a most elegant private aircraft.

I did up a paint a while back on the Mike Stone model - and got the registration number wrong - LOL!

I recommend people trying landing at 0B8 in FSX - it is challenging enough in a B200 King Air and amazing this F27 made it in and out of there.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Fairc...08b8f9fb54d2ff

www.airliners.net/photo/Fairchild-F-27F/0228461/L/&sid=4d15087529aaae924a08b8f9fb54d2ff

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Yes, I find it the best way for me to do them. It's similar to bump mapping. The other technique is to paint a white or gray line adjacent to the panel line and adjust the opacity to get the right depth.
    You can do that with the "drop" shadow function in GIMP. But it would look weird if done on the old 1024px masters as the panel lines are already too thick.

You can edit to some extent the base white textures as I have done a few times to fix some things by copy/paste method on a new layer.
    Goody!

By the way:
    I don't know how much I've covered up with paint on my repaints, but the deice boots on the wings do not stretch as far inboard as I've originally painted them. I was too lazy to correct the original paintkit for this or forgot about it. So you might want change that accordingly if you want to.

For those who want to repaint the F-27a, paintkit now available with the VIP repaint included. Hope it works out, not a paintkit creator!

https://app.box.com/s/gy39xli3lmwkb2t4i1by

Mucho thanks!

Almost a GB in size when unzipped. Eeek!
    (But only a tenth of that in .xcf format. Heh.)

In terms of paintkit creation, I'd say that less is more i.e. less layers are much easier to get into. Or use layer groups, but these don't carry over well from PS to GIMP or vice versa.
    I'll see what I can optimize in the layer department and how much space a re-exported .psd version needs. And how I get the textures to fit the streches.

From someone who has made a couple dozen paint kits for commercial products, this paint kit is a good one. All layers are labeled which is a real plus. A huge plus also is that the files can be opened in Photoshop 6 and Paint Shop Pro 7 so I'm extremely happy about that. Might merge some layers but will up the opacity of all to 100% so I can see what is included before loosing the flexibility that is currently there. Good kit TuFun.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    From someone who has made a couple dozen paint kits for commercial products, this paint kit is a good one. All layers are labeled which is a real plus. A huge plus also is that the files can be opened in Photoshop 6 and Paint Shop Pro 7 so I'm extremely happy about that. Might merge some layers but will up the opacity of all to 100% so I can see what is included before loosing the flexibility that is currently there. Good kit TuFun.
    There is a reason to the madness with the layers. When creating the base I want the depth to be different like the window frames, doors, door handles, and panels to look different, not stamped all the same. Some rivets need to be darker than the rest depending on what it's attached to. When merged it will lose some of that detail because opacity will revert back to 100% as you stated.

And this is my second paintkit, welcome to change as fit. Fun stuff by the way!

Blog Entries
    Been busy here Ted.......
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

One of the few turbo props I like so it was a fun project, now focused on the Tanker from here on out. I prefer P3Dv2, but need FSX to do some work in, but not for long.

Ported an older paint successfully - but can someone point out where the texture is for the nose gear doors please? Thanks!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

See "FSX_Compatibility.psd" in paintkit folder of the F-27A/Mk200.

Thanks Bjoern - assume it is one of those coloured squares?

Members who have read this thread: 3