Does anybody know what this is?

Thread: Does anybody know what this is?

Does anybody know what this is?

I am moving some files from the scenery\namw folder to a hold folder so as not to conflict with installed landscape files. Some of the files, instead of having a bgl suffix have an ori suffix. These happen to be ones that I'm moving. It just seems weird and I have no idea how they got changed apparently on their own.

You might be in for some long nights. I believe some sceneries, especially if an auto installer is used, include replacements for default files and install automatically. These will have a suffix specific to the new scenery and will be loaded instead of the default. Tracing which addon scenery is responsible can take a lot of time. That would be my guess as to what these are. I once found a conflicting set of such files which caused a favorite airport to load beneath the ground, the rest of the world being left alone. Having found what caused the problem, I keep a full scenery file set which loads the scenery properly when I want to fly there.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

My guess is that the .ori filetype suffix is short for "original," renamed by an auto-installer that placed replacements for the stock files. The likely scenario would be to script the renaming of the original files prior to inserting the replacements. Without renaming the originals, the replacements would simply overwrite the originals, causing them to be lost if the addon was ever removed - in which case, the user would have to dig into the install CD's in order to find the missing files (something this forum has seen many times).

That script could just as easily have used the .bak suffix, which might have made more sense to many users.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thanks for the replies but no. There were no auto installers involved and, if there were, I would have installed to a different folder. I very rarely auto-install to FS9. I had some in name, namw and namc. They are all old manual landscape programs. One is for Columbia River Gorge. Another for the tetons and yellowstone. Another for Ohio lakes. Another for Quebec. All very old and no auto install. I installed the programs and had a two page list of files to move. The only thing I can think of is just installing the programs, manually, would get one of them to change the suffixes but I don't see any way that could possibly happen. It's like the suffix ghost did it.

Thanks for the replies but no. There were no auto installers involved and, if there were, I would have installed to a different folder. I very rarely auto-install to FS9. I had some in name, namw and namc. They are all old manual landscape programs. One is for Columbia River Gorge. Another for the tetons and yellowstone. Another for Ohio lakes. Another for Quebec. Maybe one or two others. All very old and no auto install. I installed the programs and had a two page list of files to move. The only thing I can think of is just installing the programs, manually, would get one of them to change the suffixes but I don't see any way that could possibly happen. It's like the suffix ghost did it.

Hi Rich,
    Possibly it's your anti-virus, that doesn't like the moved files. When you copied/moved them did you move them outside of the Fs9 install? If so, your AV may see them as a threat (for some reason?), and re-named them. As it may have tagged your Fs9 install (and all files within it) as safe.

I have just done a complete search on my pc (a huge amount of files) and not one .ori file. On-line the sites, that want you pay for something, say it's an oriGINAL file extension, but I doubt this.

If you did move the files outside of the main Fs9 install, try it again, moving them to another folder within your Fs9 install, and see if it does it again (you may have to re-boot your pc to see if it has had any effect).

OR it just may be a Windows glitch, that may or may not happen again......

Cheers

Shessi

I have several older landscape programs (including the ones listed above) that are designed for FS9 default. I put them in a Landscape folder that I put in Addon Scenery. They all require me to move files FL HL HP etc from the Scenery\name namc namw to avoid double scenery like coastlines. I put a folder called Hold in each of those three folders. I had a list of files to move that were from the docs of the programs I installed. When I went to move the files, some of the ones in (iirc) namc had already changed suffixes to ori. I never changed them. The programs that I installed never changed them. I have no idea how they got changed. It's still a mystery. And it's very weird.

Members who have read this thread: 2