saitek Cessna yoke question

Thread: saitek Cessna yoke question

saitek Cessna yoke question

Hi all, I decided I needed two sets of controllers, I have had the Saitek X52 Pro for around three to four years now and its great for military aircraft.
    I recieved my new saitek cessna yoke today and had fun setting it up how I wanted, only thing I was surprised and a little disappointed in was the pitch is a bit sticky, I used one at the flight sim show last year and it was very smooth, so have I got a bad one or is it just the fact it's new and needs bedding in a bit ?
    Thanks.
    I7 3700k @ 4.5 ghz, 2 x 8 gig 2133ghz ram, Evga gtx 780 classified, samsung 840 pro 250 gig ssd for op system, Win 7 64 bit ultimate, Samsung 840 evo for fsx photo scenery, 600 gig wd velocraptor for fsx, creative XFI fatality sound card.

I have one of the original yokes, and I like it. It did require some use to smooth out on pitch.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

There is a lever-arm in there providing some centering force which may be perceived as resistance, but other than that, spraying the metal base rod (the exposed chrome metal tube between the controls and the electronics base) with a silicone spray may work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGi3kKmcsXo

I had a Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke for a short while and then sent it back. It had a fundamental design flaw which, in my case, stopped it from being usable for precision control. The stainless steel shaft has a slot along each side in which runs the roll sensor mechanism. Whilst roll response always felt smooth, pitch response was only smooth with no roll input. With any roll applied, the added friction of the roll sensor mechanism meant that fine pitch control was almost impossible and became quite notchy, most noticeably near the neutral point of the spring centring where fine control is most needed. See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g34mLpFs3fE (the Saitek review starts around 1:45) which pretty much reflects my findings.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    I had a Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke for a short while and then sent it back. It had a fundamental design flaw which, in my case, stopped it from being usable for precision control. The stainless steel shaft has a slot along each side in which runs the roll sensor mechanism. Whilst roll response always felt smooth, pitch response was only smooth with no roll input. With any roll applied, the added friction of the roll sensor mechanism meant that fine pitch control was almost impossible and became quite notchy, most noticeably near the neutral point of the spring centring where fine control is most needed. See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g34mLpFs3fE (the Saitek review starts around 1:45) which pretty much reflects my findings.
    So what did you replace it with, vortex?

Thanks for the replies, I find it most noticeable when you are in a roll and need to adjust pitch, it feels like its almost stuck requiring almost a jerk pull to start the movement which then means I over pitch.
    Think I will try spraying the shaft first.
    I7 3700k @ 4.5 ghz, 2 x 8 gig 2133ghz ram, Evga gtx 780 classified, samsung 840 pro 250 gig ssd for op system, Win 7 64 bit ultimate, Samsung 840 evo for fsx photo scenery, 600 gig wd velocraptor for fsx, creative XFI fatality sound card.

Quote Originally Posted by sleightflight View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I find it most noticeable when you are in a roll and need to adjust pitch, it feels like its almost stuck requiring almost a jerk pull to start the movement which then means I over pitch.
    Think I will try spraying the shaft first.
    Spraying the shaft will not help and could make it worse if you use a lubricant that attacks the plastic bearings. You have succinctly described the symptoms and Vertigo has identified the cause. You can check this by disconnecting the roll spring, in which case the stickiness goes away. It will never work properly unless you find a different way to apply the roll tension. Some have used rubber bands, I gave up and mine is in the loft. Replaced with an Elite yoke, which is obviously more expensive (and no longer available new). Also hoping to get my Iris yoke soon, which is a big unknown.
    MarkH

Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I have got some silicon ptfe spray, so not an oil that I use on my hang glider vg rope.
    I think it's safe on plastic.

100% silicone spray is safe for plastics...

I had the same issue originally but after a bit of use it bedded in and its perfect now... smooth and precise in any attitude of flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    So what did you replace it with, vortex?
    The only yokes which felt really smooth were outside my price bracket - the "budget" yokes (less than £200/$300) seemed to have too many compromises. I went for a force-feedback joystick instead. I got a Microsoft FF2 joystick on eBay and I haven't looked back! Easily the best joystick I have tried. When used with FS Force software the forces are very realistic and configurable and you get the bonus of real stick trim (move the trim control and the stick physically moves).

Members who have read this thread: 2