Oculus Rift with PD3

Thread: Oculus Rift with PD3

Blog Entries

Oculus Rift with PD3

This weekend at a flight sim cockpit conference I was able to try out the new Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 (DK2) with PD3 2.3. I flew the Maude for three turns around the pattern in some basic airport in some basic scenery. However, this this is amazing.

The immersement factor is is almost like being in the real aircraft. No seat of the pants stimulation and looking down at your amputated legs in the cockpit sort of takes it away a little. Other than that it was an amazing experience. Unlike IR Track which forces you to move your head only a few degrees, with OR your head movement is natural. A camera captures your movements and turns them into the same movement in the airplane. So, you can turn and look into the back seat, under the dash, stick your head out of the window, or look down at your legs...which weren't there. The visual will follow.

Flying the pattern was very natural and much more like real world flying. I felt like I was in the airplane. I was told that some people are getting vertigo while wearing the OR.

The only negative for me is the inability to see inside a real cockpit and flip the switches. I can find the switches blindfolded, but setting a radio freq. would be tough with the OR on. Now, if they could made it where you could reach into thin air and see your hand turning a knob or flipping a switch....

I know that is coming. I just hope I live long enough.

John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

See it in action!

The good and the bad...

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

We have been using the Oculus Rift system at work now for a few months. Experimenting would be the better term. We're trying to use it to develop "immersive" maintenance training for our customers, RCAF, RAAF, USN, and others. One of the biggest issues for me is the crappy screen resolution. We've made these fantastic 3D models of the CH-147F helicopter, but when viewed through the Oculus Rift goggles, it looks like a 1980s raster scanned image. Makes it a complete NOGO for our purpose. This product will revolutionize flight simming, but probably not quite next week...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

As far as I could read, the resolution was really a problem with the first development kit. The version 2 still has quite a limited resolution, but much better than the first one, right ?

The issue with the cockpit manipulation seems to be the biggest one for now. One question on this: while using the OR, you can still see your mouse pointer and use it, right ? Of course, you can't see your mouse. But when sitting on your computer, you "know" where it is. The real problem for the regular simmer wlil be the usage of the keyboard, when needed...

I'm really on the edge of ordering a OR v2 myself. The price is ok what that amazing device. It's more the resolution and the delivery times that are holding me back. Sure, the cockpit manipulation will be a problem, but when flying a "simple" aircraft in which you don't have to click much once you're airborne, the "flight" must be absolutely fantastic, because of the head movements and the real 3D. Heck, I can't wait to test a flight in a glider over the Alps photosceneries...

By the way, about the resolution: how "bad" was it in the v2 ? I'm thinking about two criteria mainly:
    1- the field of view: when looking at the videos, the field of view seems to be quite limited. How is it concretely, compared to the view on a regular screen ?
    2- the gauges in the cockpit: they are the main elements that require good resolution. How "readable" were they with the OR v2 ? How critical was it in a small airplane (GA, warbird) and in a big one (liner) ?

Blog Entries
    Daube, Since I could easily move my head, I did not notice a limited FOV. I would say it was like that of a monitor, or any 1st person shooter game. I could read the gauges but they weren't sharp. However, I wear glasses and while the DK2 came with corrective lenses, they weren't in the device at the time I used it. According to what I have read and the fellow who was demonstrating the Oculus Rift, since they are aiming to entice the video watcher, the production (consumer) models will be 1080p. I plan on waiting for the production model, before I purchase.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

From what I've read that the Oculus displays runs as 75hz and refresh rate needs to be a 75 fps. In the video Lynk stated he had to lower everything down to reach somewhere close to that for smooth play in P3Dv2. He stated he couldn't read the dials (blurry).

His quote...

"Honestly, it's not flyable yet. The screen-door effect is still there, and the resolution not high enough. You can't read the gauges at all unless you move your nose 20cm in front of the instrument panel. However the immersion is incredible. The sense of scale is amazing. You forget that you're looking at a display. The 3D, depth, etc... Is perfect. But it's only going to get better. The hardware is going to be there. We just need to be patient. Like I stated in the video, the only problem is to run the sim above 75fps. LM needs to do some magic in this area."

source: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/450593-...s-dk2-and-p3d/

I'm really looking forward to this progressing. Oh, in the video he actually turns toward the back to look down the rows of seats just like you would if sitting in a cockpit... very cool!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

I didn't look at the video when you posted it in your first answer... Now I've seen it, and I feel like a child who knows what he will get for Christmas...
    That guy summarized the situation quite well. For the moment, the main problem is the resolution, and somehow the framerate. But appart from this, the immersion is over the top of anything seen so far. (well, excepted home cockpits, but I cannot get a A380 cockpit in my room, unfortunately... and even if I could, then I wouldn't have enough space left for the cockpit of the Mustang and the one of the P47, and the one of the many planes I use to fly, unlike the owners of a real cockpit who fly only one kind of plane.

As I expected, he confirmed that once you have the OR on your head, you only need your stick and your mouse. I can't wait for the final version to be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I didn't look at the video when you posted it in your first answer... Now I've seen it, and I feel like a child who knows what he will get for Christmas...
    You took the words straight out of my mouth Daube!

I am excited for this too, totally clickable VC's will be amazing.

Members who have read this thread: 2