A Question for Max Users

Thread: A Question for Max Users

A Question for Max Users

Does anyone know if it is possible to customize the (Set Project Folder) function in 3ds Max? It would be nice if the default folder names and functionality could be changed to reflect something more inline with modeling for FS or P3D. Those of you who use this function will understand what I mean.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions,

Paul (The Younger)

Never looked at it myself Paul, but on my version (2008) it seems to be something related to Autodesk Vault and the Asset Tracker. Help file should point you in the right direction.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Never looked at it myself Paul, but on my version (2008) it seems to be something related to Autodesk Vault and the Asset Tracker. Help file should point you in the right direction.
    Thanks for the reply hairyspin. I've been searching the help file and looking for possible .MS or .INI files that may apply but (Set Project Folder) seems to be a built in system function. I tried editing the .MXP file that is created but it just defaults back. The Vault is useful when collaborating with other people on a project although I have not used it myself. I found that the Asset Tracker is very useful when a project starts developing a large number of files. Primarily I'm trying to find a better way of organizing how I work.

I use the Libraries feature in Win7 to organise a lot of my work, it's a big reason I wouldn't go back to XP now. Libraries are like shortcuts only they can pull together much more and the file system supports them even with creaky old software like Gmax since they're built in to the system dialogues where appropriate. Worth a looksee if you haven't yet.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Being entirely committed to the "Old School" method of managing my own project's organization, I've completely ignored Autodesk's attempt to be 'helpful' with their bizarre and byzantine paths and folder names...

My "structure," such as it is and what there is of it, is quite straightforward and simple:
    Code:
    ..\Data
    .....\Max Projects
    ........\FSX_P3D Aircraft
    ............\C310R_Milviz
    ................Cessna 310 Release_213.max (and a whole bunch more earlier "saves"
    ................\texture
    ....................$C310_VC_01.tga (and all other "common" textures used)
    .................\texture.N5077J
    ....................body01.tga (and all other "livery specific" textures used)
    If this looks suspiciously similar to the hierarchy used by FSX/P3D it is no accident!

OTOH, to answer the original question, go here and read up on how to set up Max's "Set Project Folder" option(s):
    http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/E...mber=d30e84756

If you are more "visually oriented" or just like to watch cool tutorial videos, here is one that is very well done:
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Being entirely committed to the "Old School" method of managing my own project's organization, I've completely ignored Autodesk's attempt to be 'helpful' with their bizarre and byzantine paths and folder names...
    Bill, I was hoping there might be a way of altering the project folder function but I see now after much exploration that it doesn't seem possible. I have one project in particular that has so many model variations plus multiple texture variations for each model, add to that all the experimental FDs accumulated and constantly growing amount of XML code etc., etc. ad nauseam, it is now the most convoluted mess you can imagine. I'm in the process of renaming a lot of files to make them easier to identify and that has added another level of confusion within Max.

I'm going to try the .MS "Interactive Universal Renamer" I found on the SCRIPTSPOT and see if that will alleviate some of the burden as it is supposed to allow batch renaming while retaining the correct path within a Max scene among other things.

I just need to find a better way of organizing my work.

Members who have read this thread: 0