Afrika Korps scenery?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Afrika Korps scenery?

Afrika Korps scenery?

My fav WWll aircraft is the P-40 and the A2A bird has lots of hours on her. I have always been fascinated by the war in Africa (second to the Pacific), partly due to the TV show Rat Patrol when i was a kid, but also after researching it in college for a paper.

Anyhoo, I have some objects ready and some ideas and wanted to gauge some interest. I don't own any of Mikes (Flight replicas) german aircraft, even though they look amazing, but was curious how many do fly them or any other Axis aircraft and in what areas.

I have a few photoreal areas in Tunisia that I blended with the default awhile back that I planned on airstrips/camps and in addition to the German objects shown here I have American in the same quality as well as some British objects also. Here are some of the german objects in MCX, I also have some tents, crates, barrels and camo nets and other figures. For the American side I also have a drivable willys with .50 cal (yes, like Rat Patrol, LOL)

Anyhoo, this is just one of my smaller projects I have had on the backburner for awhile that I dig into when I need a break from bigger projects, any interest in this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cgsgsd.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	11925
    Best, Michael

You got my interest It would give me a reason to pick up the MilViz stuka, and also a place to fly the
    Alpha/Virtavia He 111.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Yes, always interested in WW2 scenery.

Always interested in your quality type WWII objects. I have a bunch already but don't remember seeing these. Would love to add them to the collection.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

YES! me too!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Those look great! Count me in too.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Great! I do fly a lot of Axis aircraft in the FSX desert. The A2A Bf109, the old GC Bf110E (beta), The Classics hangar FW190, just to name a few. FSaddons has a nice Storch which fits very fine in the desert and Manuele Villa's Italian aircraft work quite nice in FSX.

So I'm really looking forward to your scenery!

Huub

add me to the list

Quote Originally Posted by robert41 View Post
    Yes, always interested in WW2 scenery.
    A few German aircraft that I use in FSX.
    Alpha He111.
    Ground Crew 110.
    CR1 Do335.
    Classic Hangar 190's.
    Milviz Ju87.
    O Fisher Ju52.
    Flight Replica 109K.
    A2A's 109, 190's.
    FSAddon Storch.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Count me in! I'd very much like to fly FR's BF-109F's over the desert!

I'm following...

For those who are interested, I made (with SAMM) some static WWII german aircrafts.

--> https://e-nautia.com/disk/download.php?id=5550341

Bring it on Michael !!! Mike

I too would like some Afrika Korps scenery. Your work on military objects and scenery is superb. Love your Kubelwagen. I was also weaned on Rat Patrol. Don't forget the British SAS Jeep and Chevy desert lorrie.

Name:	chevroletc60lcmptruckpi.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	11998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123291-sas-jeep.jpeg 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	11999

Check out the jerry cans on that jeep and don't forget the PSP ramps for getting out of the sand.

I already have the perfect vehicle to explore your scenery (Lionheart's Kubelwagen from the Valkyrie package)

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks for the replies guys, nice to know I am not alone on this.

Some might thing the biggest obstacle would be the objects for for me it's the environment, Tunisia is a big country, LOL. I have looked up battle areas and troop movement maps to try and find good locations for camps and airfields. My test areas i did awhile back are great and plenty big for driving around, but really need to be bigger for flights for the immersion IMO. Unfortunately the quality of sat imagery for the area and filesize are my biggest obstacles. Also, Tunisia has some great terrain that would benefit from detailed mesh. I use FSGlobal ultimate, but really need to learn to make my own for projects (can't keep asking Mark to do it, LOL)

I started making my own effects and hopefully I can get some proximity explosions working, would add to the immersion.

I have no interest in getting FTXGlobal, but I know a lot of users are on that bandwagon and was wondering how different does Tunisia look compared to default since I might have to blend my files with it at some point.

Huub, nice Kubelwagon, I always felt inspired looking at Bills scenery for that release.
    Best, Michael

Great thread,

MCDesigns Afika Korp thread title and huub vink mention of a vehicle to explore MCDesigns scenery
    (Lionheart's Kubelwagen from the Valkyrie package)

So with a little reminder by MCDesigns and huub vink, I try'd Lionhearts fs9 Bucker Bu 181 Bestmann from the Valkyrie package

Name:	2014-9-4_1-13-40-626.jpg 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	12046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-9-4_1-13-56-296.jpg 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	12048

Name:	2014-9-4_1-13-7-132.jpg 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	12047

always liked the little beasty and finally got her working

Had the day off today and after running some errands and working on my bigger projects, I managed to get a little more done. I am also almost done with 2 versions of an M4 sherman and a Horch Kfz.15 Staff Car.

last night I found a site with a ton of WWll North Africa b/w photos and it gave me some good ideas. The main reason this project appeals to me creatively is that it doesn't incude full airports, I hate modeling WWll buildings and hangers because I can never find good reference material.

Name:	GrJe4v.jpg 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	12062
    Best, Michael

The models look really good Micheal, however one small remark. The Swastika on the fuel truck runs the wrong way around. Lionheart's Kubelwagen has both sides mirrored, which is why a you can't put the Afrika Korps markings on the doors.....

As I said before I really VERY pleased that you started this scenery!

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks for the info Huub, will see about fixing that.
    Small update, here is a preview of some of the new objects. Got a few more to do then the fun part, LOL.

In working on the ground I have run into an issue. Granted at runway level the photoreal method works best for originality and ambiance, but in the air without doing a really big area of photoreal and even then finding a way to try and make it blend is a tough call I am finding out. I have been playing with both methods and both have pros and cons.

I run with default textures, have no interest in FTXglobal, partly because most of my actual flying is over photoreal, the others reasons we won't get into.. Blending sand dune photoreal over default is tough, mainly because of the yellowish tint default has which kinda ruins the photoreal when color matching. Amazingly enough, even at 30 cm p/pixel, there really isn't much detail to be had in sand dunes except at altitude, LOL. I tried the landclass/vector way with changing the landclass with autogen and using default dirt runways with ADE and that worked fairly well, but lacked in originality and again I have no idea how this will look with FTXglobal, does it change the look and the autogen?
    When I look at desert airfields in old photos, there isn't much there, some aircraft, some tents, some vehicles, some areas with camo netting covering weapons and vehicles and the scattering of boxes, equipment and people, so conveying that ambiance while on the ground is important to me. I have thought about going the ground poly way, but that is alot more work and won't work in the latest version of P3D using the old FS2002 way. Anyone can place objects, this is about creating a scenario with me.

Any ideas on what you guys think or want with the ground is welcome

Best, Michael

After carefully reading your post and looking at the default desert and comparing it with the photoreal Death Valley desert, I came to a conclusion you might already have made. From a short distance the default textures look good enough to use. From altitude the default sand textures look reasonable as well. The only thing I really hate in the default desert are these black straight lined which should look like roads....
    The difference between photo real textures and default textures is too large use to use it in a reasonably small area.

So like you already suggested, I think using the default textures is most probably the easiest and will most likely give the best result in the end.

Just my personal opinion of course,
    Huub

BTW the "new"vehicles look great again! I love the Horch

Thanks Huub, I actually think I got it to work. i did a large chunk of desert in Libya, and set the airfield down in elevation so that you can see the sand dunes around you, this way it doesn't kill the immersion at runway level and there is plenty of photoreal around to drive your tank or jeep and still be immersed. I did blend the photoreal with the default even though i didn't want the yellow tint, but I also upped the contrast more to bring out the dunes, so that worked out for this allied base. Then I found a nice oasis in Algiers and added it to my base photoreal and added some subtle other color changes and tire markings going around the base in the sand and it looks fairly decent. I also opted for a ground poly runway as it just needed that much detail, I'll deal with the P3d thing when it comes up.

Now I gotta come up with a battle scenario. I have some wrecked versions of the tanks and the dodge 6x6, some with fire effect. If I can just get proximity explosions to happen when the plane flys over, it will look like tank fire.
    Best, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    Thanks for the info Huub, will see about fixing that.
    Small update, here is a preview of some of the new objects. Got a few more to do then the fun part, LOL.

In working on the ground I have run into an issue. Granted at runway level the photoreal method works best for originality and ambiance, but in the air without doing a really big area of photoreal and even then finding a way to try and make it blend is a tough call I am finding out. I have been playing with both methods and both have pros and cons.

I run with default textures, have no interest in FTXglobal, partly because most of my actual flying is over photoreal, the others reasons we won't get into.. Blending sand dune photoreal over default is tough, mainly because of the yellowish tint default has which kinda ruins the photoreal when color matching. Amazingly enough, even at 30 cm p/pixel, there really isn't much detail to be had in sand dunes except at altitude, LOL. I tried the landclass/vector way with changing the landclass with autogen and using default dirt runways with ADE and that worked fairly well, but lacked in originality and again I have no idea how this will look with FTXglobal, does it change the look and the autogen?
    When I look at desert airfields in old photos, there isn't much there, some aircraft, some tents, some vehicles, some areas with camo netting covering weapons and vehicles and the scattering of boxes, equipment and people, so conveying that ambiance while on the ground is important to me. I have thought about going the ground poly way, but that is alot more work and won't work in the latest version of P3D using the old FS2002 way. Anyone can place objects, this is about creating a scenario with me.

Any ideas on what you guys think or want with the ground is welcome

Micheal, three suggestions the Sd KFZ 251, the Panzer IV Ausf G, and the SD KFZ II Sanderkraftfahrzeug. This last vehicle was the workhorse carrying troops and artillery pieces. Some German artillery guns would be good also.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

You know Piglet did a LRDG Chevy truck back when he was making things for FS9, although I could never get it to work in FSX I'm sure that if it could be made to function it would be a blast to drive in a good North Africa scenery package.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Piglet's Chevy works fine in FSX, however it only displays on the top half of the screen, while the lower half is black. I think this can be solved. However as I won't be close to my flightsim computer for at least a week, I can't try to solve this puzzle.

In addition to Tom's post, I think the German scenery definitely needs a few AA 88mm guns.......

Cheers,
    Huub

to get the LRDG Chevy to display properly, go to the Panel.cfg file and at the very bottom you will find this

SIZE_X=8191
    SIZE_Y=3366

change it to

SIZE_X=8191
    SIZE_Y=6143

that should get you full screen

Members who have read this thread: 2