FSX frustration. Never ending......
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FSX frustration. Never ending......

FSX frustration. Never ending......

Normally when I do a fresh reinstall of FSX, I don't have any problems.

But ever since I reinstalled a few days ago, it has been one problem after another.

The one reoccurring pain in the a.... pop up is that FSX does not want to close properly. I get a error message:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fatal.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	11849

and then:

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	11850

I have been cancelling out the msg (if I can click my mouse button quick enough...GRRRR). But definitely a annoying situation.

But along with this, the addons (i.e. EZDOK, VRS TACPACK...etc...) all seem to have problems being recognized by something within FSX, because it crashes.

I thought that removal of them would fix my initial problem of FSX not shutting down correctly, but it didn't.

Grrrrrr!!!!

NC

Oh, and then there's THIS message that shows up on the opening screen. It goes away,

but I have NO earthly idea why it is there, or what it does? NC

Name:	this too.jpg 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	11851

Worth sugesting you start fsx with a clear dll and exe files as well as new cfg?

Pete,

Is this an error on a freshly installed pc? I mean, did you install the whole pc anew?

If not, before reïnstalling FSX make sure that every trace of the previous install is gone. In your application data folders, in the program data folders and in the registry.

The folders have to be deleted manually, but the registry can be cleaned with Ccleaner, a really nice freeware cleaning tool.

What I would do is the following: uninstall FSX again. I know, AGAIN... Clean the pc of traces of the previous install(s) and start all over again.

The thing to do is reboot, reboot reboot after all those actions!

Keep us posted if you will!

Dumonceau

Oh, I am not EVEN wanting to do another reinstall just yet. But I know that might have to happen. This just drives me nuts. NC

I had forgotten about CC Cleaner. Installed that, and it may have fixed my first annoyance. I uninstalled TACPACK and the VRS Hornet and reinstalled them. Still so much to reconfigure..... I am not giving up. Thanks. NC

Just a tip - when you reinstall (and it sounds like you might have to, with the issues you're having), verify thoroughly that your base installation works as it should, and then make a complete copy of your FSX folder and store it. To be very thorough, you could also make copies of the config folders as well.

That way, a clean install is as simple as deleting a few folders and copying in the clean ones.

I have lots and lots of extra drive space (6 drives, 2 of them 2 TB) so I take this one step further: The last time I installed, I did not only a copy of a basic install, but I also did a copy with GEX and UTX properly configured and installed. I also then made a copy once I had the Orbx regions installed. This was before installing any airport scenery or any addon planes. Basically, the strategy is that having a 'fresh' install, or a 'loaded but still fresh' install is as painless as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I had forgotten about CC Cleaner. Installed that, and it may have fixed my first annoyance. I uninstalled TACPACK and the VRS Hornet and reinstalled them. Still so much to reconfigure..... I am not giving up. Thanks. NC
    Don't give up Chief! Remember basic training!!!

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Don't give up Chief! Remember basic training!!!

Johan
    Sometimes I would rather go through basic training again than deal with all this!! NC

Never forget ... computers were designed to challenge us. They are alive and need a strong hand to dominate them and it is our sacred mission to bend them to our will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kestell View Post
    Never forget ... computers were designed to challenge us. They are alive and need a strong hand to dominate them and it is our sacred mission to bend them to our will.
    Oh, I like that!

For now, I will deal with the problems. Am not quite ready to do an uninstall/reinstall yet. That would be admitting defeat!!!

NC

I recently had the 'fatal error' and 'restarting' popups....in an existing install [nothing was 'new']..... and curiously it was while revising [yet again] my 2D panel for the AS F105 ....the system was OK in the VC....and OK in external view...but switching 'F10' to the 2D caused FSX to crash.

I was about to reverse-engineer EVERYTHING I'd done over the past few days [a lot] until the crash was resolved...so the first step was to copy/paste the entire F105 folder to a backup.
    While doing that the file manager [Dopus] spat a dummy....the copy stalled on one single image file [bitmap] that I'd recently reworked .... simply an 'off state' to a switch .... which returned a CRC checksum error....in other words the MOST inoccuous thing was killing the whole proggy.

Replacing that one bmp was enough to cure what was a dramatic 'crash' ....

Navy Chief, I think your problem is related to an error in the logbook. I had a similar situation some months ago. Search on Avsim or google some logbook fix utility, now I can't remember the exact name, but there are 2 or 3 that can resolve your issue. FSX logbook repair or something like this...

Oh, and then there's THIS message that shows up on the opening screen. It goes away,

but I have NO earthly idea why it is there, or what it does? NC

Name:	this too.jpg 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	11851
    Now that is WEIRD! Never saw that in my life. It's like some browser is meddling. What browser are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by cortomalteseit View Post
    Navy Chief, I think your problem is related to an error in the logbook. I had a similar situation some months ago. Search on Avsim or google some logbook fix utility, now I can't remember the exact name, but there are 2 or 3 that can resolve your issue. FSX logbook repair or something like this...
    Is the logbook automatic? I know of it, but nothing about it. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Now that is WEIRD! Never saw that in my life. It's like some browser is meddling. What browser are you using?
    I am using Google Chrome, which I hope is not the culprit.

Would the "repair" option of the FSX install disc do anything to repair this, or other problems? Or, since I have Acceleration installed, would I use the "repair" option instead?

Just wondering.

NC

Sometimes I would rather go through basic training again than deal with all this!! NC
    At least in basic, you knew what you were dealing with and how to handle it. I had to do 2 un-install/re-installs of "X" before I could get things to work properly... so I know your frustration

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

While a bit late now, this guide that PMDG wrote up is fantastic when uninstalling FSX, and ensures you get rid of absolutely everything so that you are ready for a clean install.

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/...-reinstall-fsx

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    While a bit late now, this guide that PMDG wrote up is fantastic when uninstalling FSX, and ensures you get rid of absolutely everything so that you are ready for a clean install.

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/...-reinstall-fsx
    Yes, as, it was that guide that I followed for my latest uninstall/reinstall.

NC

Yes, as, it was that guide that I followed for my latest uninstall/reinstall.

NC
    Chief/Pete,

I work in IT for a living. Please believe me that Chrome is one helluvah monster browser. It lodges itself into more elements of your programs and your operating system that you would care to know. It is also the very best way of letting the NSA into whatever you do online. Chrome is just another piece of spyware.

Do yourself a favour, first put Internet Explorer as your default browser, uninstall Chrome, clean your registry and then download and install a decent browser like FireFox and put it as default.

I thought it was a chrome thing that I saw in that screenshot of yours, but wasn't sure.

Take care,

Dumonceau

Is the logbook automatic? I know of it, but nothing about it. NC
    did you try this: http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloa...book-recovery/ ?
    or try to delete/move your logbook somewhere else (it's in the documents/flight simulator x files directory), start fsx and see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by cortomalteseit View Post
    did you try this: http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloa...book-recovery/ ?
    or try to delete/move your logbook somewhere else (it's in the documents/flight simulator x files directory), start fsx and see what happens...
    Well, I deleted Chrome, and reinstalled Firefox. Also downloaded/installed the logbook recovery tool. Ran it, but it found no problems.

In a little while, after cleaning the registry, I will reboot my computer, start up FSX, and see what happens. Thanks. NC

Chief, if you are constantly adding/deleting files from FSX, you may need to run a 'check disk' function. This will check the drive for any NTFS file errors. It's possible you may have numerous orphaned files that are screwing things up.

Quote Originally Posted by grog swiller View Post
    Chief, if you are constantly adding/deleting files from FSX, you may need to run a 'check disk' function. This will check the drive for any NTFS file errors. It's possible you may have numerous orphaned files that are screwing things up.
    Well, I did a CHKDSK from the startup menu. It ran a few seconds, and then the screen disappeared. I take it there are no errors??

I booted FSX, did a short take off, ended the flight, then shut down FSX. Same darn error. It keeps restarting FSX.....grrrrr....

What I need is to find a computer guru on SOH who would connect with my computer via Teamviewer, and help me fix this!!!

NC

Members who have read this thread: 3