AI Type VII Uboat w/torpedoes

Thread: AI Type VII Uboat w/torpedoes

AI Type VII Uboat w/torpedoes

Does anyone know of a Type VII Uboat with torpedoes that can be used as an AI ship and can also be made to "attack with torpedoes and/or 88mm deck guns" in MB?

Boats can not attack anything but aircraft. They can not be give orders.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Thanks Allen. I thought that might be a problem. I was hoping to add 1 or 2 sub hunt missions to my RAF Eagle Squadron campaign but I would need a Uboat capable of attacking a ship convoy. Oh well LOL maybe someone can figure that dilemma out someday.

The only think I can think of is maybe making a ground effect "aircraft". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_vehicle I don't know if a ground effect "aircraft" could be done and if so would the AI use it to attack with torps.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    The only think I can think of is maybe making a ground effect "aircraft". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_vehicle I don't know if a ground effect "aircraft" could be done and if so would the AI use it to attack with torps.
    maybe if they were attacking ships but they would not be able to release on the ground. Its hard enough to get them to release in the air. I don't think rockets would work either. you could simulate it with an AI ship/torp spawning in but I think that might be it.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

OK I did some experimenting and here's what I came up with. I combined the VN Gato player "flyable" sub with the textures and model from the Type VII Uboat from Tango Romeo. If you place it in the Aircraft folder (along with the Mk10 Torpedo for the Gato) you can spawn it a 0 Ft in the water from Free Flight. If you use it as Player Aircraft in MB you can spawn at 0 Ft over water but you have to hand edit the altitude to 0 Ft after you save it. I created a test mission where I hunted a merchant vessel and sank it with torpedoes. So far so good. However, if you spawn it as an AI aircraft in MB even after hand editing the altitude to 0 Ft it crashes and is destroyed when it spawns. Any thoughts?

Tried much the same using the VN PT Boat set at 5 feet. Soon as the AI hit the water it stopped moving but at lest it didn't blow up!

Well, I had to laugh at this one...while I was testing I forgot to hand edit the subs altitude. Imagine my surprise when I saw the sub flying at 2000 ft next to my Spit! But there has got to be a way to keep it from exploding when it spawns on the water. Would a category change maybe do it?

You might try and make it a float plane.

Regards,
    B24Guy

VN PT Boat is set up as a plane. It never fast enough to take off from water but floats fine. I did change the airfile to a CFS2 type as the VN PT Boat is really set up as a FS98 airfile.

This let the AI keep moving after hitting the water but has no way to keep it self aimed...

What about using the AF_Arty aircraft as the attacker?
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Sorry DD, I'm not familiar with that. But the whole point was to create a Type VII Uboat that could be loaded into the Aircraft folder and used as an AI to attack convoys.

Quote Originally Posted by _486_Col_Wolf View Post
    Sorry DD, I'm not familiar with that. But the whole point was to create a Type VII Uboat that could be loaded into the Aircraft folder and used as an AI to attack convoys.

Have them launch from an invisible tender. set the Airfile and CFG so they have no lift and only a rudder. then set the engine so it can't go above the top speed of the sub. maybe it will then move on the water.

then again even this might not work because of the issue with the amphibs. Hummm....

well it was a thought.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

What about an aircraft (WW I biplane?) with no textures and a cfg/dp that had only torpedoes and a stall speed of say 5 knots?
    Set the flight altitude and speed to say 100 feet and 10 knots.
    Hide it and all of its WPs in MB.
    Then cut the splash of the torpedo entering the water in the effects file.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

If I use the CFG from the RAF High Speed Launch the Uboat does not explode on spawn, however, it won't attack ships like a sub. It circles around like a torpedo bomber and tries to dogfight you (chase and evade) if you fly to close to it... this project might simply be undoable with my limited knowledge of CFG's and DP's. I'm gonna put it on the back burner for now.

I did mangae to create a "flyable" Uboat from these parts. Might be able to use it in a seperate CFS2 install and create missions as a Uboat Commander hunting convoys.

Members who have read this thread: 2