Carrier lights and wake error in P3D v2.3

Thread: Carrier lights and wake error in P3D v2.3

Carrier lights and wake error in P3D v2.3

Happy to see that dusk/dawn soon/moon light glitch got weeded out with the newest version, but now I have this carrier lights and wake error... Am I the only one? Can anyone please check this out and maybe make a suggestion where this error might be adjustable? Thanx!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	11751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	11752

That must be the new USS Fabulous

I will check tonight if I have time. Since I installed the 2.3 patch, I didn't have any time to try a dawn/dusk/night flight yet...

would be cool if you try... can't find anything on this error so far... same with the Nimitz...

Quote Originally Posted by golakers View Post
    would be cool if you try... can't find anything on this error so far... same with the Nimitz...
    I'm sure you've tried turning things off and on in the display setup, but just wondering if it could be the HDR that's causing it. I've seen that one item cause some odd happenings in-sim.

My old graphics card used to do something like that in FSX so it may be worth checking your drivers are up to date.

I can't comment on the lights, but my wakes look similar when using ultra settings for water with the Flying Stations HMS Victorious. It seems to be due to the wake being planar and the waves being a 3D mesh. One only sees the wake in the troughs of the waves.

FWIW I'm running a GTX 780 3GB with driver 335.23 (having rolled back from the new driver, which caused errors on my rig).

Andy

Post-War HMS Victorious wake with Ultra water settings in Prepar3D v2-3 by Andy L.J. Ford, on Flickr

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

I had a flight last night and set a carrier up and the wake was coming from the flight deck and was all screwy. didnt have lights issue. I think its the effect file maybe?

It means you have the same issue with the lights, too. Allthough I have tried different wakes and all show the same issue (appearing at the hight of the deck) the lights are somehow definitely tied to it... There are some default lights that work fine, until the additional lights (I believe FTX) really go on. Then it looks like this.

But it's just a problem with the POSITION of wake & lights. If I could only know which file it is where these numbers probably can be adjusted... Wasn't a problem in P3D v2.2. Lights just used to go out as soon as one landed. Now that issue is fixed... lights stay on. But in a wrong position.

Allright... tried the newest Nvidia driver, messes the surface up pretty good... But I have red about this so no surprise, still wanted to check out if it fixes my lights issue. Negative on that one... rolled back to 337.88 driver... Also tried de-and-re-installing all FTX, AICarriers and both carriers add-ons.

Does anybody know where these additional lights actually come from? I don't mean the default lights that are positioned only at the outlines of the landing area, but all the others that go on around the outline of the deck, on the island and in all colors, they go on a little later at dusk, so definitely a different source... Is that P3D, ot FTX, or REX4? Can't figure that out... Anyway both carriers (BigE, Nimitz) have them and it looks to me like some add-on rather than default... They look actually amazing with the mirrored effect on the water surface... only if they would be positioned properly...
    The wake is defintely tied to it, since it shows the exact same displacement... One deck hight too high, an awful lot behind and a little to the left off center of the ship.

FYI, here is what I see with the Flying Stations HMS Ark Royal. Not only do I see one part of the wake just above deck level (washing over the wheels of the static Phantoms and deck tractor) but the catapult steam and funnel smoke are also displaced. I figure LM added some arbitary xyz displacement from the effects proper position. Therefore the positions of the effects would need to be displaced in the opposite direction to compensate. IIRC the effects are tagged to a blank object before exporting the model, so it'll probably require the model's authors to adjust them.

Andy

Here see Ark from a distance. Note that all appears OK besides the smoke displaced from the funnel...

Ark effects offset 1 by Andy L.J. Ford, on Flickr

A little closer and we can see the wake washing over the deck...

Ark effects offset 2 by Andy L.J. Ford, on Flickr

Finally we can see the wake over the deck, the steam is displaced from the catapult and the smoke is out of sight behind us...

Ark effects offset 3 by Andy L.J. Ford, on Flickr

That is exactly what I say talking about... If you try that at night, you should get somee add-on lights with the exact same displacement... I don't have the Ark, so I am only talking about BigE and Nimitz, but it appears to be the same problem... Thank you for the hints so far, I will not give up. I fly carrier ops more often than anything else, so for me this is a big NO NO!

Just thinking aloud... has anyone successfully trapped and catapulted from the decks of these carriers? The displaced catapult smoke has got me worried that perhaps even the catapults and arrestor wires might have been displaced also. I've been so busy flying around in a helo checking the FLOLS I haven't tried before.

Cats and traps work fine... luckily it's only a visual error.
    Basically, if you operate the carrier during daylight without moving it forward, you couldn't say that something is up...

By the way, that is no catapult steam, that is foamy water that should get parted by the ship's front... shouldn't be at the deck level either.
    Last edited by golakers; August 28th, 2014 at 07:14.

I suspect any effects beyond the extremity of the deck platform are fine. Are the Ark's round-down lights ok?
    Not that this is particularly helpful.

Looking at the first picture of the Ark it looks as if there are two wakes, the one that's at deck level and a sea level one just showing through the waves.

I definitely don't get that problem with the Victorious.

The only difference I can see is that, after brief testing, models with the Acceleration FLOLS effect get the problem and ones without don't. To confirm this could someone check the Charles de Gaulle which I don't think has them as Sylvain made it to take full advantage of his RFN gauge and/or compare the Enterprise versions, i.e. with and without the RFN gauge FLOLS.

I do wish LM would release a hot fix for this. It is a glaring error.

I don't get a fix for this with v2.4. Do other people???

I have opened this thread in other forums as well. Some dude has the only solution right now that I am aware of and it is explained in the thread. Didn't try it myself yet.

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?min...0#postid-45279

Members who have read this thread: 0