Conversions...

Thread: Conversions...

Conversions...

Hi, today i asked me: -"may is it possible to convert planes, effects and sceneries from CFS2-3 to FSX?"
    Now i ask that you! It's possible?
    If yes what we need?

M3
    Miro

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, AMD (GigaByte) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon SoundCard, GigaByte FX-990GAUD, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

The only thing that comes to mind is "ModelConverterX" by Arno Gerretsen. However going from CFS2-3 may be a stretch to get it to work in FSX. Maybe someone who has some experience with that can chime in. I use MCX all the time to convert sketchup models for my scenery, but I've never attempted to convert earlier models.

Thanks! Will try it!
    Miro

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, AMD (GigaByte) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon SoundCard, GigaByte FX-990GAUD, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

CFS3-->FSX is virtually impossible unless you have the source file

CFS2-->FSX is possible with some tweaks

Need to be a MDL8

Open the model with an editor
    search for MDL-->if it is 8 ( not 6,2 etc) you are fine
    search for CFS2-->replace that with FS90

look for RIFF(thats about 3 lines above) and delete any entry which lies before the R (usually 20480 bites)

SAVE under-->that model will work in FSX.

Still then you have many issues like not compatible textures in the model itself

( and you need FSX Aircraft.cfg***,panel.cfg,air.files .........................)

Best regards

Roland

***-->you need to copy over from the old aircraft cfg as a minimum the contact points section and view section

Roland

Ok, i desist from my objective.
    Thank you all.

In fact this thread can be closed:devil:
    Miro

Grüezi

it's easier then you think.Once in that you need an hour for a plane.As i like japanese warplanes it was the only way to get some for FSX

Roland

Sorry, i forgot to reply to this thread. Danke, sorry aber es ist zu kompliziert für mich.
    Grüße:sly:
    :screwy:

Miro
    Miro

My questions would be.. if you are going to use a CFSII model, why not stick with FS8?
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

The answer is simple..., in flightsimming age, i am very young (4-5 years)
    And FS8 wasn't my flightsim when i started simulating. It was direct the X!
    And i not expend to find already functionning copy of FS8....
    Miro

CFS2 to FSX? You Bet!

I've successfully converted literally hundreds of CFS2 models (espc ships) into FSX by using simple hex editing trick. As mentioned above, replacing the reference in the .mdl file from CFS2 to FS90.

Many friends have asked me "why" bother?....My response is a resounding, why not?

I've enjoyed flights in numerous older FS version aircraft that (after replacing prop textures - this requires some experimenting to find the right one, and I have compiled a collection of various prop bmp's etc to use) work just dandy. After all, there are more older models than new ones.

Just my 'two cents" worth.

A few minutes work

As said above: converting a mdl8 CFS2-plane to FSX is easy, takes me about 2-3 minutes. But THEN the work starts: will the instruments show up in FSX or do I have to rebuild the panel completely? Will the glass not be black? What do the prop-textures like? Are all the textures visble? Are all the animations working? etc. etc.. The most important question for me is: does the plane has a VC with working gauges. If not, it's not worth converting, in MY opinion. So far I converted 87 CFS2-planes for the SimV-site, some took me 60-65 hours before I was satisfied with the results. But when one is downloaded more than 10500 times you know you made a lot of flightsimmers happy .

erik hertzberger (hertzie)

Members who have read this thread: 4