Poll

Thread: Poll

Poll

How many of you use Ultimate Terrain? And if not, why not? I appreciate any answers.

I use a combination of Ultimate Terrain and FSGenesis bought them years ago.
    T Square

The Load Toad

WEAPONS
    LOADER CREED
    We, the unwilling
    Led by the unknowing,
    Are doing the impossible,
    For the ungrateful.

I use UTX Canada,USA,Tropical America. I did use UTX Europe
    but now use Orbx Europe open land class,which is incredible.
    UTX in my opinion is great . UTX is easy to use and changes the
    look of FSX greatly. I will change to Orbix Land class North America
    and Carib. when it is released at the end of the year.

I would say if you don't intend to use Orbx FTX Global, UTX is Great.

Regards Anthin

SOH-CM-2020
    I use UT Can/AK.

Pete.

UT USA, Can/AK and Europe.
    Andy

Charter Member 2016
    Bought the whole Ultimate Terrain series - love it. Would NEVER go back to vanilla FS9.
    The accurate shorelines, streams, and roads when combined with accurate mesh bring a level of realism to FS9 that is simply incredible. Takes my local area from a caricature in which VFR navigation is simply impossible to an accurate representation. With the small roads activated, I can pin-point my house!
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

I have FSGenesis landclass for Europe.

I'm going to hold off until someone produces an accurate representation of Tattershall Castle and church on the approach into RAF Conningsby (EGXC).
    The first scenery that does that will get my vote.

Meanwhile, if it ain't broke.....

Dave

I have UT Canada and Alaska, and also have FS Global. They have made a huge difference in the sim. Won't go back to vanilla FS9. (who wants to, anyway?)
    Mark

Yes, for my "contemporary" scenery I have UT USA, Canada & Alaska, and Europe. Absolutely great. I haven't tried it in combination with the CalClassic scenery (1957-1962), since I suppose that wouldn't really work. (would be nice, though, since most of the time I do "fly" in the past )

Cheers,
    Maarten

For years I have used Vista Australia, (VOZ) since most of my flying is done over that continent. Maybe I'm just partial.... but I'm open to new ideas.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

I don't use Ultimate Terrain. I have FREEflow New England for accurate water in the Northeast, where I live and can recognize the inaccuracies in stock FS9, and I don't care about that level of accuracy in places where I don't know the difference. (I once installed FREEflow Florida and FREEflow Bahamas, and I hardly ever flew in those areas, so I deleted them to save the load on my system.) I have FSG mesh throughout the US and selected other places in the world. So UT doesn't offer me anything I need. If I did more flying and less fiddling, and if I did more flying in more different places, I might want UT.

I've just been to Maine for 15 days. (Camden, Bath, Warren, Hills Beach) FreeFlow New England sounds interesting for me.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Re: Request regarding number of users of ultimate terrain

I have used Flight Environment and Ground Environment Pro for almost a decade. The mesh is good and the variety of textures and lighting effect for the terrain based around the weather you select, coupled to the great clouds, transform a FS9.

The terrain still has rivers that flow uphill and houses perched on ridiculous hills plus a lot of the FS9 airfields and airports are stuck up on great loaf sized chunks of terrain.

Have very little knowledge of Ultimate Terrain as I always presumed is was for FSX only.

If anyone can confirm there is a FS9 version that gives a good mesh terrain and good weather effects I am willing to give it a whizz.

Still with FS9 because it is so tweakable and have a great hangar of aircraft. My current rig gives me butter smooth performance with everything maxed - so have never felt the need to change.

Thanks to all you guys that have continued to contribute really great a/c to this old simulator and all the tips, tweaks and advice I have used.

Mal

Thanks to everybody who replied.

I've had all the UT programs for years and have enjoyed them. But sometimes they create compatibility problems. Like yesterday flying over a city and seeing a bunch of lines criss-crossing over the scenery. I traced this to default roads bleeding through and nothing I did solved the problem. It pretty much ruined the flight for me. This kind of thing happens once in a while. So I've been trying to figure out what to do.

Mick, your comments rang a bell. Put in local scenery where I fly and know the area and skip the rest. You're right. I wouldn't know the difference if I flew in Michigan.

I do almost all my flying in the Pacific NW and fly other places only once in a while yet I have all three UT programs installed plus lots in places I rarely if ever fly. I'm going to change my setup. I'll install scenery only where I fly a lot and leave everything else alone. In the Pac NW this is mainly all of Holger's stuff. His scenery literally transforms Washington and points north. This makes a lot more sense for the way I fly.

Hello Rich,

Putting the autogen slider to dense or less might also help. I know it does with the CalClassic scenery. (CalClassic does advise accordingly)

Cheers,
    Maarten

Interesting idea Maarten. I can understand why in CalClassic. It more replicates an older time period with about half the population (in the US at least). But I don't see how it could help in recent times. Anyhow, I tried it. Things didn't look so good and all those roads were still there.

Mal, FE and GEP apply to textures only. Ultimate Terrain mostly makes roads and water locations more realistic. Plus a few other things. UT for the US, Canada, Alaska and Europe are available for FS9. But be careful. They create conflicts. Patches are necessary. Many things including landmarks change location so you'll need to find all the downloads that fix this. Many sceneries fit in the default but not in UT (and vice versa). There's a whole learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
    I've just been to Maine for 15 days. (Camden, Bath, Warren, Hills Beach) FreeFlow New England sounds interesting for me.

Cheers,
    Maarten
    I strongly recommend it, though it's most impressive if you know the region well enough to be annoyed at how inaccurate the stock scenery is, so you can appreciate the upgrade. One example that hits me close to home - literally - is right here in my home town. There's a small pond in the center of town, right near my home, barely big enough to get a Super Cub in and out of, if you were a really good pilot. In the stock scenery that pond is rendered as an enormous lake that puts the whole built-up part of town under water! In FFNE the pond is accurate and the center of town is dry.

You can get FFNE here:

http://www.fs-freeflow.com/index.php?ind=downloads

... along with the other FREEflow sceneries.

One caution: if you have Tom Constantine's Maine Small Fields and Ponds, it was made for the stock scenery and in FFNE you'll find that several of those small seaplane bases are on dry land. I've made the required AFCAD fixes on my rig, so if you need them let me know and I'll send them to you.

A belated Welcome to New England! I hope you had a great visit!

I wish you were here in the autumn to see the spectacular fall foliage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I strongly recommend it, though it's most impressive if you know the region well enough to be annoyed at how inaccurate the stock scenery is, so you can appreciate the upgrade. One example that hits me close to home - literally - is right here in my home town. There's a small pond in the center of town, right near my home, barely big enough to get a Super Cub in and out of, if you were a really good pilot. In the stock scenery that pond is rendered as an enormous lake that puts the whole built-up part of town under water! In FFNE the pond is accurate and the center of town is dry.

You can get FFNE here:

http://www.fs-freeflow.com/index.php?ind=downloads

... along with the other FREEflow sceneries.

One caution: if you have Tom Constantine's Maine Small Fields and Ponds, it was made for the stock scenery and in FFNE you'll find that several of those small seaplane bases are on dry land. I've made the required AFCAD fixes on my rig, so if you need them let me know and I'll send them to you.

A belated Welcome to New England! I hope you had a great visit!

I wish you were here in the autumn to see the spectacular fall foliage.
    Hello Mick,

Thank you very much for the link to the FREEflow sceneries. I just downloaded the New England scenery. Have yet to install it, but will do that in the evening (Dutch local time). I am very curious what it looks like. I don't have Tom Constantine's Maine Small Fields and Ponds, so as far as that concerns I don't expect any hitches. I just hope that it will behave in combination with the UT scenery. If not, I'll just have to switch off UT when I want to fly over New England. Easy as that.

Thank you, I had the most wonderful time in New England. I visited relatives I got to know about their existance when working on the family tree of my dad's family. They are the daughters and sons of my dad's cousin who emigrated in 1950 to the USA, initially to Hartford, Connecticut, but already 2 or 3 years later he and his young family settled in Camden, Maine. I couldn't have wished for a better stay with absolutely wonderful people. I hope to go back next year, indeed in the autumn.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Maarten, UT and FFNE are not compatible. However, the FF author wrote about how to make them work together. It means deleting several FFNE files. Look in the FF forum and you should be able to find it.

Thanks Rich! I'll check that. Much obliged!

Cheers,
    Maarten

Flying along the coast of Maine at 8,000 ft in the Douglas DC-6A off Rockport and Camden, where I've just been on (real world) vacation. Scenery is UT USA for FS2004. Recognised the Rockland region immediately. Brilliant!

The plane: CalClassic's Douglas DC-6A (by Greg Pepper and Tom Gibson), paint by David James.

Cheers,
    Maarten

Members who have read this thread: 1