Contemplating the new P3D

Thread: Contemplating the new P3D

Contemplating the new P3D

I have been on the fence about going to the new P3D, so my question here is how many people are still using FSX while having the new P3D? Graphically P3D looks far more superior but I still have the old P3D to which I use all of my ORBX stuff with and is it going to be that much of a difference going from P3D 1.3 - 2?

Thanks guys!
    Gene
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

I no longer have FS9 or FSX. I have P3D_V1.4 and V2.3 and may not hang onto ver 1.4 for very long as 1.4 is only installed so I can fly some of my old favorites which won't work in the newest version. The differences between 1.4 and 2.3 are too numerous to detail, but suffice to say there is no comparison.

It's an Amazing difference.A Huge graphical and performance boost in P3D 2.3

Patrick

I've abandoned FSX and don't regret it a bit.
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified 1000W

Members +
    Many times asked & many times answered!
    Oh yes, go for the latest v2.3. I'm on v1.4 as my laptop cannot handle DX11, only 10.2

Blog Entries
    Hi,
    I have Prepar3D 2.3 and FSX on my machine, the only reason that I keep FSX is so that I can use the Horizon/Playsim U.K photo scenery. I've tried it in P3D v2 and it just takes so long to load a flight, but yes I would recommend P3D with the Orbx scenery.

Ian

I abandoned FSX some while ago my advice is just go for it P3D V2.3 is fantastic

P3D 2.3 is quite simply the best flight simulation experience I have ever had. Performance is stellar (even on my modest GTX580) with stutters nowhere to be seen. You can have autogen as far as the eye can see and crank graphic settings far up with no visible performance hit. Lighting is massively improved (HDR has been brightened so it is much closer to the real experience of flight), shadowing has been optimised and visually it is just far beyond FSX in every way. AI traffic settings can be up high to increase the already amazing level of immersion and, for the first time, this version exceeds FSX in both smoothness and FPS.

I still have FSX (and FS9) but think 2.3 is the game-changing version and may attempt a full migration this time, after which FSX would only be retained as a bare install for development testing and maybe multiplayer.

Don't hestitate for a second. Buy buy buy!

Is there a list of what aircraft/addons will work with 2.3? Thanks, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Is there a list of what aircraft/addons will work with 2.3? Thanks, NC
    A good bet is that if it's native FSX it will most likely be fine, although there have been a few I tried where some switches no longer would function. If it's an FS9 portover made to be "compatible" with FSX. . .forget it. Generally the FS9 aircraft coding is so outdated now that nothing works in the cockpit. . .as in no switches, knobs, levers, etc. Even current releases made for FS9 still contain coding that is no longer recognized by P3D.

In the above thread of the graphical comparisons of FSX Vs P3D, are we talking stock sims? If so that is surely not a fair comparison surely as FSX is now 8 years old. Or are we talking heavily modded FSX Vs stock P3d. e.g. I have FS Global, FTX, REX, Van+, UT2 and many FTX and Aerosoft addons. A hefty investment $$wise. Having been disappointed by P3D v 1.4 I don't want to and haven't the funds any more to be able to throw money away and be disappointed again.
    Since 1993 I have rushed out unquestioningly and bought every single airplane sim that ever came out. The only ones I still retain are FS9 FSX and IL2 1946, I cannot afford nor justify unquestioned purchases any more.

In a nutshell, what more can P3D offer me over my heavily modified FSX, which runs OK on my Intel I7 2600K with a Geforce 660 and 16Gb Ram within W7 64.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

In a nutshell, what more can P3D offer me over my heavily modified FSX, which runs OK on my Intel I7 2600K with a Geforce 660 and 16Gb Ram within W7 64.
    A future?

Joking aside, it's hard to compare an 8 year old sim with a new one. Do you compare vanilla with vanilla which is fair as that's the base product you can get off the shelf. One with 8 years of add ons and one without, or both with all the add ons? After all a lot of FSX add ons work in P3D, so it's not as if all your previous investment is written off.

Ultimately P3D is being developed to take advantage of 8 years of technological progress and has a future. However if you're happy with FSX there's no rush to change over, but each update makes it more tempting with little improvements here and there. For me cloud shadows are the killer USP and despite having a dual install I hardly ever touch FSX.

Like some here I have FSX and P3D v2.3.

I run a modest rig- Intel I7 930 at 2.8ghZ with a 7500 rpm hard drive and a GTX 680 Factory SC with 2G RAM and 12G onboard RAM

For me P3D is the sim I always hoped FSX would be. I still enjoy FSX. It has come a long way but I increasingly turn to P3D as my first choice.

Simply smooth and great FPS and shadowing.

The biggest draw for me is that P3d is being actively developed by Lockheed Martin and third party add on suppliers whereas FSX has reached its present state, and will no doubt continue to evolve with its simmer and commercial support, as a result almost entirely of the hard work of the third party add-on suppliers both freeware and payware.

Treat yourself and get this sim.

Best

nio

You could also say that if MS had brought out P3Dv2 they'd called it FSXI, as simple as that. New render engine, new DX generation, new API, new memory handling routines... for MS version 2.3 would definitely be an FSXI SP2.
    P3D v4.5, DCS, AF2
    W10 64bit Pro
    Core i7 6770K @ 4,3 GHz
    32 GB DDR4 2666
    RTX 2080 Super 8 GB
    Oculus Rift S
    Cable 1000 Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    . . . . .In a nutshell, what more can P3D offer me over my heavily modified FSX, which runs OK on my Intel I7 2600K with a Geforce 660 and 16Gb Ram within W7 64.
    Absolutely nothing. I suggest you stay with your heavily modified FSX. I say that because you mentioned that you don't have the funds to just buy on impulse (boy do I know that feeling). We could all go on and rave about how great V2.3 is and how much better it is and will continue to be as it goes forward. . .and how nothing in FSX can touch it now. . .but I don't think it would make any difference really. I also had a bad experience with V1.4, thought it sucked to be honest and could never figure out what everyone was so excited about. A year later, when 2.0 came out I tried it again on a month by month basis and I was impressed, and with a few tweaks it got better, then the updates started coming, 2.1, 2.2 and now 2.3 and it leaves FSX in the dust in performance, overall appearance, effects and so on.

You have invested a great deal in addons to enhance your experience in FSX as many others have. I know developers have been slow to make their products P3D ready and so I can't vouch for any of those you listed. . .some may be compatible and some may not so my guess is that given what you're used to seeing in your heavily modified FSX, you would not be excited with the default view and all the improvements we are enjoying as P3D owners would take a back seat to what you're used to.

You guys have me sold on it and will probably pick it up next month sometime if finances allow, probably going to ditch P3d 1.4 but will keep FSX installed just because it has all of the photoreal stuff that I like to use once and awhile..

Thank You!
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Members who have read this thread: 0