Grumman Hellcat

Thread: Grumman Hellcat

Grumman Hellcat

Which is the best version compatible with P3d including pay-ware?

Vertigo Studios F6F Hellcat.
    Realflight F6F3/5 Hellcat.
    That is about it AFAIK.

Attachment 11549
    Realflight F6F3/5 Hellcat.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I think the VS F6F is the RealFlight F6F.

Dave

Thanks for the input I've purchased the VS version and apart from adding Launch Assistance to the cfg it looks ok in P3D.
    What about a F4U Corsair, what's the choice?
    Mike

My choice is the A2A/Aircraft Factory.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post
    My choice is the A2A/Aircraft Factory.

Dave
    Hi Dave
    I took your advice and purchased the A2A version. The sound is a little weak so I've changed to this:- FS2004/FSX Single Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Radial Engine sound set created by Gary Jones. A big improvement.
    Also some of the repaints are outstanding and I've installed some of those. A.I. Carrier users would want to add this to the aircraft cfgs

[launch_assistance]
    launch_bar_pivot = 5.6, 0.0, -2.9
    launch_bar_lug = 9.6, 0.0, -8.2.
    All in all a good recommendation, thanks

Mike

The problem with that launch assistance is that it will be too powerfull compared to what it was...
    Also, during WWII, these planes didn't have any launch assistance. They were taking off normally from the carrier, without catapult.
    They might have used some catapults during the Vietnam (or Korea?) war, but I'm sure these were not as fast as the FSX default catapult.

As a number of Royal Navy carriers were fitted with catapults the Fleet Air Arm Corsairs and Hellcats might (I'm just thinking out loud here) have been fitted with the appropriate hard points.
    Sea Hurricanes and Seafires were fitted with 'spools' and catapult launched (often to the detriment of the Supermarine airframe) while most new design FAA requirements specified 'built in' hard points as standard.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

The USN Enterprise/Hornet/Yorktown as built had catapults forward and also athwartships on the hangar deck.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

They generally did have catapults, even the Swordfish could be catapulted which seems a bit redundant for an aircraft that could be overtaken by the carrier. However they were powered by hydraulics and referred to, in the RN at least, as accelerators, although that may only have started happening once the steam catapult came into use.

There is a setting in FSX.cfg that makes the catapult strength adaptive to different aircraft types, I can't remember what it is off the top of my head but a search of these forums should find it.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    They generally did have catapults, even the Swordfish could be catapulted which seems a bit redundant for an aircraft that could be overtaken by the carrier. However they were powered by hydraulics and referred to, in the RN at least, as accelerators, although that may only have started happening once the steam catapult came into use.

There is a setting in FSX.cfg that makes the catapult strength adaptive to different aircraft types, I can't remember what it is off the top of my head but a search of these forums should find it.
    If you add the following lines to the FSX or P3D cfg in the [realism] section it will enable the catapult systems to generate the required force for any type of aircraft:-
    CatapultForceLimiter=0
    A more detailed explanation is available from here

http://www.flyingstations.com/downlo...sh_Cat_Mod.zip

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by CavOk View Post
    If you add the following lines to the FSX or P3D cfg in the [realism] section it will enable the catapult systems to generate the required force for any type of aircraft:-
    CatapultForceLimiter=0
    A more detailed explanation is available from here

http://www.flyingstations.com/downlo...sh_Cat_Mod.zip

Mike
    Mike,

Thanks for that! I do find it slightly worrying that someone else has to point to a file I made to complete my response!!

Skippy

I do find it slightly worrying that someone else has to point to a file I made to complete my response!
    It's not just you. Before now I have posted a question and been directed to a previous thread to see the answer only to find that I was the one giving the answer when someone else had asked the same question.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    It's not just you. Before now I have posted a question and been directed to a previous thread to see the answer only to find that I was the one giving the answer when someone else had asked the same question.

... actually, I got a good laugh at what you just typed. Very clever

Just so we're clear, the RealFlight Hellcat = Vertigo Studios' Hellcat, right?

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post

... actually, I got a good laugh at what you just typed. Very clever

Just so we're clear, the RealFlight Hellcat = Vertigo Studios' Hellcat, right?

dl
    you are correct

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Some in the family say I have the memory of an Elephant!??? Perhaps my Bonedome HD has partition limits that purge excess memories or I simply suffer from occasional CRS(Can't Remember S***).... lol

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Catapults were not frequently used for launching carrier aircraft in WWII due to the time involved for a deck load launch. An exception to this was the CVE's. Which would launch the Turkey's and sometimes F4u's so as to achieve a larger fuel and ordinance load off of the short decks. A deck load launch from a CVE wasn't a big deal give the small air wing.

There are some issues with the engine modeling of the F6F, at SL one can firewall it and get something like 4000 hp. The blower wasn't capable of achieving such a high MP at SL.

Both are fun aircraft! For the F4U be sure to get the latest version.

regards. T

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Catapults were not frequently used for launching carrier aircraft in WWII due to the time involved for a deck load launch. An exception to this was the CVE's. Which would launch the Turkey's and sometimes F4u's so as to achieve a larger fuel and ordinance load off of the short decks. A deck load launch from a CVE wasn't a big deal give the small air wing.

There are some issues with the engine modeling of the F6F, at SL one can firewall it and get something like 4000 hp. The blower wasn't capable of achieving such a high MP at SL.

Both are fun aircraft! For the F4U be sure to get the latest version.

regards. T
    Re the F4U is there more than one version of the A2A download?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by CavOk View Post
    Mike
    Nono, I think Tom was referring to the latest version/release. I believe there were some updates after the initial release.

But it is an extremely nice model, loads of fun to fly! Be sure to get the JanKees repaints for it. He did loads of them and they are all gorgeous!

Also, should you have the FDG F4U Corsair for FS9, use those sounds, they are awesome!

Have fun with your Corsair!

Dumonceau

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Nono, I think Tom was referring to the latest version/release. I believe there were some updates after the initial release.

But it is an extremely nice model, loads of fun to fly! Be sure to get the JanKees repaints for it. He did loads of them and they are all gorgeous!

Also, should you have the FDG F4U Corsair for FS9, use those sounds, they are awesome!

Dumonceau
    thanks for the heads up
    Mike

Hey, did I miss an update?? The A2A F4U is always in my active hangar!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post

Dumonceau
    Can you please point me to this soundfile?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    Can you please point me to this soundfile?
    Mike
    http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....ght&fid=152867

try here
    Mike

Thank you very much--great sound!
    Mike

Members who have read this thread: 1