A animation question

Thread: A animation question

A animation question

So many things in simulation are animated, such as aircraft landing gear doors, canopies, tailhooks, etc... My question is whether the speed of the animation can be changed? Thanks. NC

I know it can be changed in the MDL since you have to specify the animation when you make it in the design program, but I doubt much can be done once compiled.
    Best, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    So many things in simulation are animated, such as aircraft landing gear doors, canopies, tailhooks, etc... My question is whether the speed of the animation can be changed? Thanks. NC
    The gear deployment and retractions can be changed in the contact points.

point.0 = 1, -33.5, 0, 0.5000, 1574.803, 0, 0.667, 180, 0.3, 3.0, 0.5, 5, 5, 0, 150, 180
    point.1 = 1, 1.755, -7.81, -7.2900, 1574.803, 1, 1.708, 0, 0.8, 1.5, 0.7, 5, 7, 2, 150, 180
    point.2 = 1, 1.755, 7.81, -7.2900, 1574.803, 2, 1.708, 0, 0.8, 1.5, 0.7, 5, 7, 3, 150, 180

Any "exits" (canopies, doors, bomb bay doors, etc.) can be changed in the Exits section of the cfg as well assuming that the animations are not controlled by a gauge.
    [exits]
    number_of_exits = 2
    exit_rate.0 = 0.4
    exit_rate.1 = 0.4

Wing fold rates can be changed in the cfg:

[folding_wings]
    wing_fold_system_type = 4 ;0=None
    fold_rates = 0.12,0.14 ;Percent per second
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Cool, learn something new, thanks Milton!
    Best, Michael

Other than Milton's list, they're set when the source files are compiled so custom animations are not accessible.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2023
    The other thing to remember too is with regard to the flaps - as far as I remember only the flaps do this - one has to animate the flap angle to 90°, not the angle that is specified in the aircraft.cfg, otherwise the amount of deflection seen on screen will not be correct. The amount of drag & lift & pitch change will still be controlled by the values in the .cfg though. This is working in Gmax - no idea about the others.
    Keith

SOH-CM-2023
    Milton's list: Flap deflection speed also listed in the aircraft.cfg.
    Keith

Thanks all for the replies. The reason I thought to ask about this is some of the animations I see, such as a landing gear door....will retract way too fast, and often wondered if the time could be adjusted. Thanks! NC

SOH-CM-2023
    Hmmmm. U/c doors...that might be a fault in the particular animation as I believe it would be tied to the leg & if that is left with a small number of frames in which to close, then there is little that can be done if the leg movement speed is correct.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    Hmmmm. U/c doors...that might be a fault in the particular animation as I believe it would be tied to the leg & if that is left with a small number of frames in which to close, then there is little that can be done if the leg movement speed is correct.
    Keith
    Gear doors in the RW (on smaller aircraft) are usually mechanically opened as the gear moves. In modeling, one usually uses the gear animation tags. The doors must open quickly to allow the tire (which is very close to the doors) to move without penetrating through the doors.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Dev One View Post
    Milton's list: Flap deflection speed also listed in the aircraft.cfg.
    Keith
    Yes, I completely forgot that one. :-/

[flaps.0] //Trailing Edge Flaps
    type = 1
    span-outboard = 0.5
    extending-time = 7
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Street View Post
    What about prop_anim_ratio?

cheers,
    Lane
    What's the question.

I personally do not use it. If you use the prop adjustments properly, the only time the prop seems "still" is when on full takeoff power. After initial takeoff, power and prop should be pulled back appropriately allowing plenty of visual movement of the animation.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    What's the question.

I personally do not use it. If you use the prop adjustments properly, the only time the prop seems "still" is when on full takeoff power. After initial takeoff, power and prop should be pulled back appropriately allowing plenty of visual movement of the animation.
    Wasn't really a question as much as an answer to the OP's question-
    My question is whether the speed of the animation can be changed?
    cheers,
    Lane

Members who have read this thread: 0