Are FSX to CFS2 conversions possible?

Thread: Are FSX to CFS2 conversions possible?

Library Staff

Are FSX to CFS2 conversions possible?

The reason I ask is because Dave Garwood has made a lovely Mosquito B.IV: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-B-IV-released
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnIfm.jpg  

Icon9

Visual model can be converted , but no animations in easy way.

But from i could see we have good models too.

CFS2 to FX is doable so reverse should be also.
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Milton Shupe has the angle on that...he might have a few tips to share. But like Mission said, we already have a few native oldie goldies in the Mossie line.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Remember FSX models will be very frame rate heavy. the DDS graphics are not supported by cfs2 either.

You can ask the auther to release a FS2004 version. that would be easier to convert. Or see if they would be willing to make one for us.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    Remember FSX models will be very frame rate heavy. the DDS graphics are not supported by cfs2 either.

You can ask the auther to release a FS2004 version. that would be easier to convert. Or see if they would be willing to make one for us.
    It is true , but DDS textures can be converted too!.
    Time ago I made a example but i didnt take care about textures sizes so the pics shows the issues.
    It is a Dart Kitten 100% FSX native plane but now converted to CFS2 (no animations working).
    I really think that is better convert a native FSX model than make one. That convertion can take a week making animations, but make one from begining can take a year (in extreme cases).
    But we can use FSX ships or objects easy. (because they have no animations).
    Cheers
    Mario

KD,
    Yes, most things are possible! If you've got the time/patience and pc power. As the boys have said there's little point when there are so many CFS2/FS2004 versions of ac out there, and the FSX ac are so poly heavy.

I did get the CBFS Mossie into FSDS, the main model was 54 Mb and the VC was 47 Mb!!! It may be smaller as a 3ds and then Gmax file, but not much. And it took forever to do anything with.

One which took a long time was Mike Cyul's beautiful Me262B night fighter.....but worth the effort.

Cheers

Shessi

Library Staff
    Thanks a lot for the replies chaps - I suspected as much - all too hard.

Regarding the Mossie, I think Bruno Escaravage's rendition is the only really good one in CFS 2. The earlier versions are showing their age with their moving parts disappearing from time to time.

His N.F.Mk II can be used as an F.B.Mk VI but unfortunately we don't have a B.Mk IV of the same calibre.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Icon22

Hi,

Some while ago I converted & splashed some paint on J R Lucariny's BMk IV, as I remember, I got all the animations working, but ran into problems with the Prop-disc which I couldn't solve ..............

............ if anyone is interested in having a go at it, I'd be glad to share

Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lmos.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	11644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lmos2.jpg 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	11643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lmos4.jpg 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	11642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lmos5.jpg 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	11641

Icon26

Hi Jim!!
    I cant see the props disc issues in yor pics. I would like to give it a try!
    Cheers
    Mario

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Hey SC! Long time no see, nice to read from you!

What prop disc issues are we talking about here? I am sorry, but I am missing what Mario is seeing. Usually, I had no problems with replacing the blurred prop textures of JR Lucariny's models.

I am talking about his Westland Whirlwind, his P-51B and his FW190A, I don't know about other models because I did download them, converted them and then I did not like the conversion results, so I did not bother replacing their prop discs.

Cheers!
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Hi Stefano,

Nice to read from you too !

The prop did problem seems to be in the model ( or maybe I screwed the conversion ) you can either get solid prop textures when stopped and opaque textures when spinning - OR - transparent textures when stopped and when spinning but not both .......

I've been busy this week, but I'll post a link for you and Mario SAP

Cheers

Jim

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Quote Originally Posted by Sopwith Chameleon View Post
    ....The prop did problem seems to be in the model ( or maybe I screwed the conversion ) you can either get solid prop textures when stopped and opaque textures when spinning - OR - transparent textures when stopped and when spinning but not both .......

I've been busy this week, but I'll post a link for you and Mario SAP

Cheers

Jim
    By all means, Jim. Please post a link for both your conversion and the original as well, I want to see what kind of prop texture Lucarini included in his Mossie. His P-40F has also the same nasty issues, unfortunately I was never able to solve them so I stashed it away.

In other cases, I only discovered that the blurred prop texture needed to be turned upside down to work properly, as in William Dicken's Beaufighter collection.

It always drove me up a wall when designers changed their prop discs features in their production. Most of the times worsening the texture than improving it. Why doing it? Once one has a prop animation that works well, why changing it?

In all of these years I found the most bizarre things within the same designer productions, the most common being the size of the disc expanding or shrinking. Often times the prop disc in not centered and it spins lopsided, which sometimes it can be corrected via trial-and-error attempts of moving the disc texture around its centre, one pixel at a time. Other times this trick is not enough to fix it and the end visual result is rather poor and unrealistic.

The other most common mistake is a later addition to the model, a classical example is made by external side gun packs in USAAF medium bombers.
    This bug was discovered by William Dickens, a.k.a. Bismarck13. He fixed all of his models suffering such bug after he discovered it, while all other designers did not.

When the addition is made, the model *.mdl needs to be recompiled by either SCASM or GMAX. At this point, something happens that places the addition "in front of" the spinning disc. In other words, the prop disc is displayed behind the additional parts, while for the rest of the plane the propeller spins correctly in front of everything else. William Dickens discovered that the prop disc needs to be added last to the model details, least it will be displayed behind any further addition.

When this happens, the visual result is so hideous that I can't stand it, I simply hate it. I even removed from my hangars very nice models suffering this glitch in the worst way.

What I can't understand is that this must be at least the tenth time I write about it, trying to bring attention to this ridicolous problem, but no one seems to care about it.

Cheers!
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Members who have read this thread: 1