Are scammers becoming more common?

Thread: Are scammers becoming more common?

Are scammers becoming more common?

Is it just me or does anyone else think there are becoming more and more scammers in the FS world.

The latest one is discussed and debunked at airdailyx (I don't want to name the company as that may give them more publicity that they don't deserve).

http://www.airdailyx.net/fsnewsbreak...ke#commenting=

This "product" was able to generate a number of threads over at AVSIM as well which all ended up locked.

In this case the cost was only $13 which may not be enough for most people to worry about but if a thousand people are willing to gamble $13 on some miracle in the hope it does work then the scammer has just made themselves a handy little $13,000.

If you fell for this scam lodge a complaint with paypal. Scammers shouldn't be encouraged otherwise they will just continue doing it and if you don't lodge a complaint then you are encouraging them.

I am posting this here as it is good for us all to know who these scammers are so we can avoid them.

Thanks Ant. I've read the threads over at Avsim and it does look that way.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I recall the Airbus A380 scam which was lifting screenshots from the legitimate A380 project. I know we've seen plenty of examples of people stealing work and reposting it as their own but this kind of thing is very troubling. The entire community needs to be aware of it and help keep an eye out for such things and get the word out when/if any more pop up. For those who get ripped off, be prepared to take action to recover your loss by placing the charge in dispute but also beware that any scammer who gets a hold of for payment info may just as likely use that info or sell the info to card fraudsters. the latter might mean deactivating the compromised card and replacing it.
    Beware!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not unexpected really, one wonders what has taken this form of Internet Lowlife so long to get up and scamming.
    Attachment 11457
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

The scam isn't the worst thing, but the people falling for it without blinking.

Google is three seconds away, people! Thoroughly inform yourselves before you spend your money on the internet!

If it seems too good to be true - it usually is.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    not unexpected really, one wonders what has taken this form of internet lowlife so long to get up and scamming.
    Attachment 11457
    yup!!! A big hammer
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I think this is more of an evolution. In the beginning of FS, piracy was all about sharing. Not necessarily making money of it. And it was small considered to what it became later on.

Then we saw the emerging sites like Wings of Silence, FSWC, Simparadise and some others that did make money of FS addons. Supposedly for hosting and other costs, but people like Fergusson ("The Boss" of WoS) did make money out of it. This is not right, but it is borderline criminality. Very difficult if not impossible to have people like that brought to justice. I know for a fact that judges in Europe won't even consider piracy cases about FS addons because it is too small, a niche market in what the consider to be gaming. Their focus is on Music, Films and big gaming names like Creed, The Sims and so forth. FS simply isn't on their list.

Apparently the pirates moved on to a whole new business model whereby they adopt supposedly legit company identities and offer stuff of other developpers at a charge. This is IMHO really criminal and should be persecuted.

The only thing we as simmers can do is point out the scams and make people aware of these horrid actions and goings on. We're not the police, not the courts or judges, but we can help them in finding out the culprits.

This is of course just my humble opinion and not worth more than two €cents or even a farthing.

take care,

Dumonceau

Unfortunately things seem to be going paranoid over at AVSIM.
    I have been registered on the forum for a few years. Don't post very often but usually look at the FSX forum every day.
    I was on the forum on Saturday, but when I tried to get on Sunday got a message that either I had cancelled by account, I was a spammer etc etc.
    The biggest problem is that it won't let me contact anyone, or get to a place to register again.
    I guess they could have problems, but would suggest they need to do some work on their screening methods.
    It does seem strange that the other major players seem to be able to handle the situation without alienating people.
    Mac
    Irvin IntelCore2Duo-E6850 3GHz- eForce8800GTX-768MB-2GBram- FSX-UTCan
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Quote Originally Posted by TREETOP View Post
    I was on the forum on Saturday, but when I tried to get on Sunday got a message that either I had cancelled by account, I was a spammer etc etc.
    The biggest problem is that it won't let me contact anyone, or get to a place to register again.
    Well Mac, you have my attention at least. PM me your account name at AVSIM and I'll be happy to check to see what's going on with your account.

Nota bene: I am one of the moderator/admins at AVSIM.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    The scam isn't the worst thing, but the people falling for it without blinking.

Google is three seconds away, people! Thoroughly inform yourselves before you spend your money on the internet!
    Couldn't agree more.
    Best, Michael

Members who have read this thread: 3