Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk Update...Read on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk Update...Read on.

Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk Update...Read on.

Hi All!
    I started updating the flight dyanmics for the Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk package. So far I have completed the 0-1 Clean model. I'm looking for a couple of guys who already own the aircraft and would like to take the new files for a test flight and report back. Full flight testing is not necessary. Just take her for a spin, do a couple of carrier landings and take-offs and let me know how she flies. These files will be used as a template for all the other aircraft version updates.

PM me if you own the package and are interested in testing these new files.

mal
    Virtavia Flight Dynamics Guy

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Hi All!
    I started updating the flight dyanmics for the Virtavia A-4 Skyhawk package. So far I have completed the 0-1 Clean model. I'm looking for a couple of guys who already own the aircraft and would like to take the new files for a test flight and report back. Full flight testing is not necessary. Just take her for a spin, do a couple of carrier landings and take-offs and let me know how she flies. These files will be used as a template for all the other aircraft version updates.

PM me if you own the package and are interested in testing these new files.

mal
    Virtavia Flight Dynamics Guy
    I'd love to help you out with this!

Jamal

Me too ! Mike

PM sent

Bill

I ll give it a go , PM sent

I'm in if you're still looking !

Hey Mitch! Please shoot me a copy. If I can find the time I would be pleased to give you some feedback on this welcome update effort.

Thanks and regards,
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Lee,
    PM me your email.

PMed...no response.....bummer

no email sent

Mal,

I find the 1.2 version of the Clean A-4E flight model, the best of the lot. The skidding that the other models have, isnt as prevalent on the clean jet. I can work the pattern with ease and while still watching the airspeed bleed, it handles nice. Add any stores and the rudder is ineffective and the tail just doesnt feel there. It's purely on the roll axis which requires a lot of over banking and pulling to bring the nose around.

I hope you are successful. If you need another tester, let me know.

-Jeff
    I pass gas!

my biggest issue with the flight model as it was, had to do with landing. With full flaps the plane wanted to almost hover and you had to nose down to drive it into the ground to land.

Yes, flaps provide too much lift. If I do use them, its only the first notch.

Jeff
    I pass gas!

Flap issues may have to do with the setting you have for your controller or in the sim. I'll be away for a few days. Will look at this issue when I return. Remember, for every simmer there is a different set-up, so behavior on one sim is likely to be different from another. That's why we always try to take a general consensus from a group of reports. If several people report the same issue then you have a pretty good sense that something is amiss. If only one person out of hundreds report, then there's a fair chance the issue is with that one only. We'll get it squared away. The Skyhawk was agile but a very stable platform according to all pilot reports. A lot to shoot for in an aging sim that never was quite right...I'll be back Sunday....

Happy flying.
    mal

Mal,
    Don't know what you did but v2.7 is bang on! It really flies like a different aircraft. Rock solid in the pitch access, yaw and and I now can do balanced turns without skidding - was deliberately doing shallow bank with strong rudder and no problem. No contrails at 120 knts and other assorted vices have all disappeared. Took her around KVRB (where coincidently, I discussed with a real A-4 pilot flying a real restored A-4C there that day, in detail her handling characteristics) and it behave well in the pattern. Ditto doing carrier ops and trapping on the Oriskany. She is now a joy to fly as well as to look at. I think others should do some more repaints now to celebrate. Well done Mal.
    expat

adult image hosting
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Sounds great! When and where can we download?

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Kinda jealous... I'd really like to check this out!

Jamal

Ditto

Bill

Ditto...ditto...

BTW got some new Virtavia A-4 skins in the oven, 1 finished and 3 are in process.

Hey expat, where might one find that skin? Is that the one by skyhawka4m?

Really looking forward to try out that new FDE.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

OK, glad to hear from Expat that all is well on the first aircraft. Remember, the update I sent to a few folks was only for the 0-1 Clean aircraft.

I am just about finished updating the second aircraft, folder 2-3 Adversary.

There are over 20 separate aircraft with individual load-outs and weights, so that each model has to be modified and brought up to speed and then tested. This is a big project that will take some time. The goal is to get them all brought up to speed then release the update all at once through Virtavia's site.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    OK, glad to hear from Expat that all is well on the first aircraft. Remember, the update I sent to a few folks was only for the 0-1 Clean aircraft.

I am just about finished updating the second aircraft, folder 2-3 Adversary.

There are over 20 separate aircraft with individual load-outs and weights, so that each model has to be modified and brought up to speed and then tested. This is a big project that will take some time. The goal is to get them all brought up to speed then release the update all at once through Virtavia's site.
    If only there was a way to Tacpack this jet. That would make the work with weights much easier.

Jamal

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    Ditto...ditto...

BTW got some new Virtavia A-4 skins in the oven, 1 finished and 3 are in process.

Hey expat, where might one find that skin? Is that the one by skyhawka4m?

Really looking forward to try out that new FDE.

Steve
    That is such good news, Steve!!! Your AS/V F-4 paints get regular use, and so will anything you do with this Scooter! Any USMC paints in the hopper?

Sorry for the 'jack. Great news on the FDE - looking forward to it, Mal, ex, et al!!

dl

Mitch.

Please send me what you have so far.

---
    Frank

will do Frank.

Seems like the update is going to a winner.

Members who have read this thread: 4