A New A2A P51 in the works.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New A2A P51 in the works.

Blog Entries

A New A2A P51 in the works.

As the title says.
    A2A has been working on the P51H Lightweight Mustang. It will be released under their AF (Aircraft Factory) LOGO.
    The aircraft will be released once Lewis finishes up the red tape.......
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

Actually, this has been known for a couple of years now, but it's nice to know it's close to release. I've been waiting forever for this one it seems.

Thanks for the heads up.

Blog Entries
    No problem.....
    I've been waiting for it as well.....
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

love it...more Mustangs...just wish we got a TF-51 and a F/P-82 version also

With all of the resources they had available to them, I can only imagine it will be spectacular!

Ditto on the F-82E and F-82G!!!!

K

Ditto x 2 on the Twin Mustang...
    -Mark

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    This is good news, but I wonder why it is released under the AF logo. Is it perhaps less detailed than the P-51D's?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    This is good news, but I wonder why it is released under the AF logo. Is it perhaps less detailed than the P-51D's?
    Maybe because accusim will not be available for it?

Interesting, I always wondered what became of Chanute AFB after it was closed. I did my Tech School there in the Summer of 1966.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a "lightweight" Mustang? It´s a post-war era Mustang?
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Their Airplane Factory titles are still very nicely done aircraft, but with slightly less detail and minus any accu-sim ability and at a lower price than the full detailed accu-sim aircraft.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Yes, no doubt it will be more than worth the price.

Flaviossa,

The lightweight Mustang was developped and tested during WWII but never saw service in significant numbers!

it did serve with ANG units after the war though.

Dumonceau

The P-51H was a design progression of the P-51 line. The H model, although based on the D model, was almost completely redesigned to be much lighter in weight and much faster than the D model. The P-51H was a successful redesign and entered production in 1945, but World War II ended before any H models entered combat. With the end of the war, the production contract was cut and only 555 were produced. The H model did not see combat in Korea, reason being the USAF had far more P-51D's still in service and plenty of spare parts for the D model and the H models were relegated to National Guard units.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Ah, thanks for the info guys
    Didn´t know this Mustang variation.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Interesting, I always wondered what became of Chanute AFB after it was closed. I did my Tech School there in the Summer of 1966.
    Did my Tech School there in the winter of 1962. Technician/operator/instructor on the C-11 Link Instrument Trainer. I bookmarked their website - http://www.aeromuseum.org/ and would like to visit.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    I think there were some problems that were never completely ironed out, like the retraction of the tail wheel, perhaps due to a lack of urgency since the war had ended.

The P-51H was the direct result of the experimental lightweight Mustangs that North American began working on in early-mid 1943, which included the XP-51F, XP-51G, and XP-51J. The lightweight Mustangs came about after the USAAF wanted to know why their fighter planes were heavier than British fighter planes, and why, for instance, that a comparable Mark of Spitfire could climb to a set altitude in 2/3 the time it would take the Mustang, or why the Fw 190 had twice the roll rate of the Mustang. Thus, they wanted to know if the design could be improved to match or better the performance of those other nation's fighters. Edgar Schmued of North American Aviation was sent to Britain in February of 1943 for two months to meet with British designers to compare design and production techniques (this included visits to de Havilland and to Rolls-Royce, where he was shown the latest Merlin engine (2200 hp, 120-in MP), which he wanted to get installed into a new Mustang design).

Here is some interesting information that Schmued wrote about, after studying the 'whys' that the American fighters were built heavier than their British counterparts. "First, the high angle of attack-load factor was 12 in America, but only 11 in England. Second, there was a side-load factor on the engine mount in America of 2G, which the British didn't have at all. Then the landing gear load factors that we used were 6G's, but were only 4G's in England. We used all of these factors to help whittle out a good deal of weight in a new design."

With the XP-51F, for example, which was essentially an entirely new design, they were able to shave 600 lbs. They did new things like making part of the engine cowl at the engine mount a structural member of the engine mount, and on the fuselage, aft of the firewall, they used .042 skins rather than .065 skins. Just about everything throughout the aircraft, including the main and tail gear, were redesigned to save on weight. The lightweight Mustangs are also sometimes referred to as the 'plastic Mustangs', as there was much more use of phenolic resin (an early plastic), such as using it to back some of the parts made of thinner aluminum. Some general characteristics of the lightweights included a longer canopy, which helped smooth out the airflow much better than the D-canopy, and the radiator scoop was stretched out for the same reason. Smaller main wheels and redesigned landing gear allowed for the leading edge of the wings to no longer be angled at the leading edge root.

The P-51H started coming off the assembly line at Inglewood in mid-1945, alongside some of the last D-models Inglewood would produce. The P-51H would never see combat in WWII or in the Korean War, but they were active throughout the late 40's and early 50's with the Air National Guard. The P-51H utilized the Merlin V-1650-9 engine, which produced 2,218 hp with water injection (this same engine can be and has been fitted to D-models, with some minor modifications as outlined in a tech order). Currently there are two P-51H's that are airworthy and flown, and I know of at least one other, maybe two, which be made airworthy.

It should be added, that while the XP-51F, G, and J never reached factory production, it wasn't the fault of North American, but rather a change in planning (a change of mind) by the USAAF. All of the experimental lightweight Mustangs achieved or exceeded their design goals. NAA's chief test pilot, Bob Chilton, for example, referred to the XP-51F as his favorite of all of the Mustangs built.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Very interesting, John, thanks, especially for the design details.

"It should be added, that while the XP-51F, G, and J never reached factory production, it wasn't the fault of North American, but rather a change in planning (a change of mind) by the USAAF. All of the experimental lightweight Mustangs achieved or exceeded their design goals. NAA's chief test pilot, Bob Chilton, for example, referred to the XP-51F as his favorite of all of the Mustangs built."

Good summary JT.
    My small circle of IPMS friends all regarded the 'Lightweights' as the Ultimate Mustang, known to us as the 'Spitstang'.
    There were a few nice scratch built models made as a reult,
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

As you can see in the profile of the P-51H, besides having the radiator scoop and canopy stretched more length-wise than the D-model (to improve the aerodynamic airflow), the fuselage is also wider vertically (up/down). All of that was to get back the side-area that was lost in the D-model design. The position of the pilot, being raised up, and having the cowling sloping away from the windscreen, also allows for better forward vision. The first 13 P-51H's were manufactured with tails that were a bit shorter than you see in that profile. Working with the NACA, for added yaw stability, North American designed a taller fin cap which was then part of the rest of the P-51H production.

Wombat, I was particularly interested in reading what Bob Chilton wrote about his experiences in flying the XP-51F, since he held it in such a high regard. He said it was like a fine-tuned race car. He had to be very careful with the power on take-off, moving the throttle only increments at a time, otherwise it would become airborne prematurely. At only 30-in MP the aircraft would already be airborne! He also states that it was common practice with the aircraft to climb out at 7500-fpm. The climb-speed was supposed to be 250-mph, and he said it was almost impossible to find an angle of attack which would lower the airspeed to that amount. It was also routine with the XP-51F to cruise at 45,000 ft, which required a special pressure suit and many layers of clothes to be worn, since the aircraft was of course not pressurized (anyone would certainly suffer 'the bends' climbing to such an altitude without any pressure suit, and I have heard stories of WWII Mustang pilots that did). With the XP-51F, NAA really worked hard to try and make it the first prop-driven fighter to go 500 mph. The closest they were able to achieve was when Bob Chilton was able to get it up to 491 mph at 21,500 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Their Airplane Factory titles are still very nicely done aircraft, but with slightly less detail and minus any accu-sim ability and at a lower price than the full detailed accu-sim aircraft.
    Yeah, I don't have enough time to commit to acccu-sim, so I've been very happy with A2A Aircraft Factory releases.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Chanute

Quote Originally Posted by PhillRoath View Post
    Did my Tech School there in the winter of 1962. Technician/operator/instructor on the C-11 Link Instrument Trainer. I bookmarked their website - http://www.aeromuseum.org/ and would like to visit.
    Trained there as a Flightsim Technician in the winter of 1967, 3350 TS. Went back there several years ago to see what happened to it and visited their Museum. The Museum had recently opened and I was there alone, and it was pretty nice. They had the front end of a B52 there which was not ropped off yet so I was able to climb inside and visit all 3 levels at my leisure . Sitting waaay up in the pilots was a big thrill for me, lot of instruments still present in the old bird. Went back a few years later for a return visit but the B52 was ropped off (insurance regulations?). It is still a nice Museum and I recommend especially if you trained there.
    BUD

Members who have read this thread: 3