Help support our FS friends from Microsoft !!

Thread: Help support our FS friends from Microsoft !!

Exclamation Help support our FS friends from Microsoft !!

We have started a Facebook Group yesterday in support of FS and more specifically in support our many FS friends at Microsoft who were so rudely fired this week !

It may not help to bring FS development back on-line, but at keast it will show your respect and compassion for those people who have changed so many of our lives over the past 30 years !!!

JOIN NOW !!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=59637588200
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Dag
    Joined!

I joined too,

François do you mind me publishing your facebook link on some French Flight sim sites?

Corsair 14F

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    We have started a Facebook Group yesterday in support of FS and more specifically in support our many FS friends at Microsoft who were so rudely fired this week !

It may not help to bring FS development back on-line, but at keast it will show your respect and compassion for those people who have changed so many of our lives over the past 30 years !!!

JOIN NOW !!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=59637588200

While I feel for those who have and continue to loose their jobs......how can you call it "rude" on the part of MS? What did they do that was so wrong besides run their company. Maybe they see no future in FS for Microsoft? Could it have been poor sales of FSX?

Stay tuned many more will soon loose jobs.....many more.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    What did they do that was so wrong besides run their company.
    Vista comes to mind. :bs: The latest software from MS has left an awful lot to be desired. I remember Gary Kildall (SP?) and CP/M. Arrogance breeds contempt and MS has become very arrogant since it's beginnings. Yes, by all means, blame the employees for bad decisions on Management's part....
    Matt

Vista64 runs great for me. I get the feeling a lot of contempt shown for Vista stems from people's hardware not being compatible. Sure it has issues, but so does every other OS.

With regards to the original subject, MS did not really do anything wrong. While I hate to see people lose their jobs, it is a necessary evil. Calling it "rude" to lay somebody off is somewhat misguided.

I am an Information Technology recruiter and have to watch this stuff happen all the time. Skyhawk is right, this is just the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair 14F View Post
    François do you mind me publishing your facebook link on some French Flight sim sites?
    was thinking of the same thing right now .

just joined and it is growing quick , already almost 400 people have joined .
    "Civil disobedience becomes a sacred duty when the State becomes lawless or, which is the same thing, corrupt."
    Mahatma Gandhi

those who would trade freedom in order to get safety deserve neither

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ark View Post
    I am an Information Technology recruiter and have to watch this stuff happen all the time. Skyhawk is right, this is just the beginning.
    How right you both are, to be blunt, our 'FS Hobby' is a niche market, and in times of recession such 'Luxuries' are among the first casualties.
    And this is only January ..........
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair 14F View Post
    I joined too,

Corsair 14F
    Not at all !! I appreciate the help in spreading the word !
    Umbria, Italy

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Ark View Post
    Calling it "rude" to lay somebody off is somewhat misguided.
    I've seen a copies of the dismissal notes. THOSE, I can assure you, are rude in my book.

You're a recruiter? Maybe YOU are the misguided one in this discussion then? Did you KNOW any of these people? Do you KNOW the real reasons why FS was axed?? Do you know WHO took that decision?

I've been in corporations management for over 30 years and I know about 'business sense' and business nonsense. I've seen my fair share of stupid decisions being made by the wrong people in the wrong places.

I am passionate about good manners and treating people correctly, even in bad times.
    That hasn't been the case here in my opinion and I'm not going to shut up about it.
    Umbria, Italy

I've seen a copies of the dismissal notes. THOSE, I can assure you, are rude in my book.

You're a recruiter? Maybe YOU are the misguided one in this discussion then? Did you KNOW any of these people? Do you KNOW the real reasons why FS was axed?? Do you know WHO took that decision?

I've been in corporations management for over 30 years and I know about 'business sense' and business nonsense. I've seen my fair share of stupid decisions being made by the wrong people in the wrong places.

I am passionate about good manners and treating people correctly, even in bad times.
    That hasn't been the case here in my opinion and I'm not going to shut up about it.

I, like everybody else here, feel for the developers and wish them the best of luck, but it is what it is. This is a part of life in, as Wombat stated, a niche market. Flightsimming does not have the pull that it used too. You and I may really enjoy it, but for every one or two of us that loves this hobby, there are probably 1000 who could care less. If FS was a serious cash cow, MS would not cut it's development. Do you think Bungie is going to eliminate the Halo Dev. team?

On a side note.....I still joined the Facebook page.

Cool

I've been in corporations management for over 30 years and I know about 'business sense' and business nonsense. I've seen my fair share of stupid decisions being made by the wrong people in the wrong places. I am passionate about good manners and treating people correctly, even in bad times.
    Francois, we respect your opinion along with your passion, that's a given.
    My own 'management skills' cover over 40 years where the wrong decision can rapidly become one's final decision.
    I admire your loyalty to the ACES Team but in the present climate, aside from giving those dismissed (and to be blunt, nothing unusual in the manner in which it happened!) some moral support it's a little like 'Tilting at Windmills'.
    In very basic terms, our much loved FS is just another PC 'Game'.
    :faint:
    Sorry, but I really think we need to face up to that fact.
    It is just as devastating for 3000+ employees of BHP Australia to find themselves unemployed overnight as it must be for the 5000+ former Microsoft people.
    There will be much more of the same over the rest of 2009, and 2010 isn't looking much better.

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Tom vd Horst
    Link towards facebook posted in the World-of-AI forums as well.

Tom van der Horst
    World-of-AI

Thanks Tom !

@Wombat: I'm Dutch, I know all about windmills... and their dangers :hand:
    Umbria, Italy

Z-PurpleBubble

François,

By all means, don't shut up! I agree wholeheartedly with you and I for one, think your efforts are commendable indeed!!

I am far from a regular poster on this forum, but a very regular visitor, and like so many of us, I was disgusted by the decisions made by M$.

I am convinced that us gamers are paying the price for the Vista debacle.

On a lot of other forums there have been initiatives to mail the bossman himself to voice our disgust about this. I did, and it made me feel a lot better (for a short while)

I don't want to get myself banned over here, so I'm not publishing the email address here, but it's not hard to find.

I'll get off the old soapbox now...

PB

PS: for a Dutch guy you have a very french sounding name there!

Thanks PB.

Yes, a relative of one of my ancestors wrote The Three Musketeers.... and they were French indeed.
    Umbria, Italy

Thanks Tom !

@Wombat: I'm Dutch, I know all about windmills... and their dangers :hand:
    Francois Qixote? ........ :wave:

Wink

Maybe
    Umbria, Italy

GZR_Sactargets
    My son was the IT Manager for a fairly successful Retailer similar in concept to Walmart. His position was eliminated Friday along with several others. I think it is a sign of the times. MS action isn't surprising in my humble opinion. Rude or 'feel good' notices don't matter. The fact is someone is out of a job. :help:

Tho I feel for the employees it's no secret I feel nothing but contempt for MS the company- between their vista problems, their driver tactics and their console goofs they should be doing something to save the company- their management is killing them.

My condolences for their ex-employees.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

:amen:
    P.S. I joined too
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

She flies with the grace of an angel, but takes
    punishment like a boxer and keeps on flying
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Myspace Profile