Police investigating sprint-car Stewart incident

Thread: Police investigating sprint-car Stewart incident

Lightbulb Police investigating sprint-car Stewart incident

"I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards."
    http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...stewart-081014

Tony is known to have a hot temper and to sometimes do stupid things when he is really angry. It certainly sounds like he went way too far this time. It will be interesting to see if he shows up today at Watkins Glen. If he does, the media will surely be all over him.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

i was reading all the opinions at the bottom of the link page from panther,everyone keeps saying it was just a racing thing,i agree that Ward should have just stayed in his car,it was stupid of him,but it was pretty dogone stupid of Stewart to burp the throttle at him..people,including the local sheriff,are saying it wasnt intentional..but it cant be "just a racing accident",tony should have kept to an idle and gone past him ..ignored him if you will...but tony is a hothead..so he wanted to let the kid know who the boss was..so he INTENTIONALLY burped the throttle to make the kid jump back..yes no one has said that that is what he had done..and i wasnt there...but i have been around racing pretty much all my life and it know that drivers do it constantly,tony could have made a much better decision,just ignored the kid..

1:tony knew the kid was on track and waving his arms,,dont blow smoke up my butt and tell me he couldnt see him.
    @:he ,tony,should have just driving past him
    3: he knowingly hit the throttle to scare him

4: a 20 year old man is now dead and it was tony who hit him,it was avoidable,and i think tony needs to be punished for his actions...but i know they will just leave him be.

Of course the press has already blown it it out of proportion, but it was just an avoidable accident. The kid should have stayed in his car and Tony should not have goosed the engine.

Question

The video is still on YouTube.
    The tough thing for investigators is going to be working through why Stewart's car was the only that had a clear throttle acceleration while passing the driver - whereas the other cars that passed the driver were still moving at reduced speed.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    "Auto racing is a dangerous sport," he said. "I think it was just an unfortunate set of circumstances that created a tragic situation."

to be blunt, ANY driver who decides to remonstrate standing anywhere on the circuit with another while cars are traveling around the circuit is not playing with a full deck!

I believe that first statement to be true, but could not disagree more with the second.
    Any one who is around racing, short track racing in particular, probably sees guys get out and do just what that kid did at least every other race. It happens, it is stupid, people do stupid things when jacked up on adrenalin and anger.
    I have no doubt Stewart saw him, I have no doubt Stewart expected to see him on the next lap.

I have no doubt Tony never meant to hurt anyone, he just wanted to scare the guy or I could even believe that he was having fun Tony Stewart style, but still, he hit him and he is responsible for his actions, this is not one of them racing deals.
    I don't think Nascar has any business with this, I think the sprint car body does, though with his stature in that sport nothing will happen.
    I don't think Stewart will be saying it is one of them racing deals, privately if not publicly. I would think he never gets in a car again where he doesn't think of that moment and what he could have done differently. I hope he publicly takes responsibility for his part in this.
    I don't think it is a criminal matter but certainly do think there is a responsibility on Stewarts part. For every driver from the Saturday night dirt track racers to Nascar to see him take responsibility for his part in this would be the only good thing to come of this.
    Hopefully it will be in the back of some drivers mind and he will decide not to risk being a part of that tragic chain of events whether it is getting out of a car in anger or speaking with your throttle.

Is there such a thing as reckless driving on a racetrack? I believe that's what would be slapped on Mr. Stewart on an ordinary road - I don't think anyone could go as far and say that was intentional homicide but it was definitely reckless. A driver as experienced as Tony Stewart should know better. Especially as the other driver was just an inexperienced kid compared to Stewart.

Hey All,

What a tragic accident. So tragic for the family of a 20 year-old racer and tragic for the career of a two time NASCAR champion. A bit more than just a racin deal I think. While I dont for one minute think Tony intended for this to happen there is still such a thing as negligence and a charge called manslaughter (or maybe wrongful death). He will be sued no matter what.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Lightbulb

EasyEd,
    There's a chance that you might be 100% correct on all accounts....

i know most of ya never pay much attention to what i type,but i must say that after seeing the entire video,the ward kid did a really dumb thing,he should have never gone down that low into oncoming cars llike that,id like to see local tracks put up a large screen video monitor and show that video..and then have a talk with drivers and crews,during the pit meeting i mean.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I can't help but wonder if it had been any less known 'Saturday Night Sprinter' would we even have heard about it?
    'Media Beat Up' springs to mind.
    I think "yes" in this case. To the best of my memory, no other driver has been killed in this fashion...

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

What a tragic accident. So tragic for the family of a 20 year-old racer and tragic for the career of a two time NASCAR champion. A bit more than just a racin deal I think. While I dont for one minute think Tony intended for this to happen there is still such a thing as negligence and a charge called manslaughter (or maybe wrongful death). He will be sued no matter what.

-Ed-
    I agree 100%.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    Is there such a thing as reckless driving on a racetrack?
    Yes there is. Even on a race tracks certain rules apply! From what I've read a full course yellow was applied and other drivers seemed to slow down at the accident scene, while (According to witnesses) Mr. Stewart accelerated causing his car to go sideways.
    I have no doubt he would never done that would he have known the outcome but now he has to live with the consequences. From what I've seen on youtube Tony has quite a history of fights on and off the track which may very well work again him in an investigation.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Hey All,

Nothing to say - let the law take it's course. Times change - it isn't the 50s, 60s or 70s anymore. Today every death requires accountability and must be made meaningful...

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

I'm surprised he allowed to race whilst still under investigation. If it were a cop or a doctor accused of malpractice, they would be suspended. Everything these days is liability based. Imagine the ramifications and finger pointing if he were to have another incident.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    I'm surprised he allowed to race whilst still under investigation. If it were a cop or a doctor accused of malpractice, they would be suspended. Everything these days is liability based. Imagine the ramifications and finger pointing if he were to have another incident.
    Excellent point!
    Now also factor in what's going on in the NFL....

I am thinking that NASCAR does not feel that they have any control over him and his participation in NASCAR since the accident did not occur in a NASCAR sanctioned event. We will see what happens with the grand jury and if they decide that criminal charges are appropriate.

Cleared by the grand jury, now comes the civil suits by the parents even though their son was on dope.

Yep, now it comes down to money.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Cleared by the grand jury, now comes the civil suits by the parents even though their son was on dope.

Enough to impair his judgement might make it tough for the civil suits...
    http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/stor...ward-jr-092414

Members who have read this thread: 0