IRIS F-4 K/FG Phantom Upgrade WIP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IRIS F-4 K/FG Phantom Upgrade WIP

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    One request please, delete the gun pod, ....
    I like it ....

Gene K

Quote Originally Posted by Gene K View Post
    I like it ....

Gene K
    Yep, so do I! And they were regularly used during QRA duty!

Dumonceau

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post

Dumonceau
    That they were. C44+ fit.

Dave

As for schemes, this would be nice: (loaded for bear!)

Attachment 11349

Dumonceau
    Actually loaded for South American bear... that's a 23Sqn/1435 FLT machine from Falklands

ttfn

Pete

Dumonceau
    Never ever came across on during my UK tour(s), however, can we just have the 'option' of deleting the bloody thing?
    I (just me, myself) just dislike them.
    Tacked on 'afterthought'.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Never ever came across on during my UK tour(s), however, can we just have the 'option' of deleting the bloody thing?
    I (just me, myself) just dislike them.
    Tacked on 'afterthought'.
    The gun pods were a semi-permanent fit on FGR2s when first issued to all those Squadrons in RAFG in the early 1970s.
    In later years, they were only ever used for live weapons load-outs and/or APC.
    Gun harmonisation was a real headache, because the gun would move laterally (swivel) on its mount.

We always did want the "E"-model.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    In later years, they were only ever used for live weapons load-outs and/or APC.
    Gun harmonisation was a real headache, because the gun would move laterally (swivel) on its mount.

We always did want the "E"-model.

Dave
    And was quite heavy on fatigue count too IIRC, as well as making the wing centerline splice leak fuel just
    about every time it was used on a live fire sortie.

Oh, and if Smudge is working with same models as Fs9 version, <-- that one includes a C440 (no gun pod) fit.

Ttfn

Pete
    Last edited by Motormouse; October 1st, 2014 at 03:26.

Any news this project?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Blog Entries
    Great question, Zsolt - I've got a big soft spot in my heart for the UK FGR/K models ...

cheers,

dl

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    Tailplanes still need adjustment, as for TacPack, no it's not planned.
    This a most welcome addition to the RAF stable, a beautiful model lots of detail and she looks right.
    Just one small point and that is the roundels look to be WWII era rather than the post war proportions.
    This link explains it all.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_roundels

Thanks again for a lovely model.

Mike

Blog Entries
    So reinstalled this, and noticed a few wonky points .... I know its an FGR, but, in a pinch, would be a decent K stand-in ...

• wings wont fold
    • tail hook triggers a funky vapour
    • Nose gear pivots feverishly around its rotational axis, and is always extended
    • AB always on, when lights on

Anyone else notice these issues, esp anyone trying to "navalise" this FGR .... the XT873 UKMIL paint bolts on nicely, when you change the names to reflect the new model's mapping ... it'd sure be great to get the basics sorted out ...

cheers,

dl

I noticed the gear DL but not had long enough with it to pull the other bits you noticed. Think I'll stay with the old model until Smudge revisits it.

ATB
    DaveB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I noticed the gear DL but not had long enough with it to pull the other bits you noticed. Think I'll stay with the old model until Smudge revisits it.

ATB
    DaveB
    Hey Dave,

Wise move - I would suggest that, as you're not running DX10. The older ported model works excellent in FSX+Accel w/o DX10, so that's what I'd advise.

This model, resolves the DX10 texture issues, but has a bunch of weird animation issues. Admittedly, David did say it's a "WIP" so here's hoping to get maybe a few things sorted in time.

It'd be a super model, even if you had to add a "borrowed" payware VC to it. That part worked well, btw.

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    It'd be a super model, even if you had to add a "borrowed" payware VC to it.
    It would be quite easy to do a quick conversion of the fs9 mdl vc. I've found a teeny bit of info about the freeware fs9 Iris Phantom,
    http://forum.fsxwar.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=250

Blog Entries

SOLUTION: go back to the FS9 portover!

So, after hours of frustrating attempts to adapt the FSX native beta to have one of the payware VCs, solving the animations, I had a brainfart:

The only major thing wrong (in DX10) with the FS9 portover model was the canopy, which from the VC was solidly opaque, and from the spot view was almost non-existent. Why not fix those issues, and the original model should work, right?

So about an hour later, monkeying around with a bunch of old files, and experimenting, I found something that works.

1. VC: Could be a better, less hazy set of reflections - but that's the best I could do ....

2. Exterior canopy: way better than before!

3. OPTIONAL: I never really liked the newer dark green helmet, esp on the Naval FG1 model. So here's an optional solution for that:

I thought it turned out ok - here's the fix/patches for anyone interested:IRIS Phantom DX10 Cockpit Fixes.zipIRIS Phantom DX10 Cockpit Fixes.zip

Now, for those who still have the the "complete" FS9 model, with the correct animations, VC (which though old, is at least reasonably ok), and all the great repaints - you can now use it well in FSX + DX10!

cheers,

DL

PS: all I can't fix is the lights: they are faint, almost invisible, unless I throttle up to full power. I've seen this also with the Skysim Vixen. Anyone have an idea what's going on?

I don't see this happening in DX9 DL. The lights in DX9 are very small to begin with (pleasingly so) and expand with distance (as they do) but I've run the throttle up and down looking at each one close up and no difference in brightness notice.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by Hanimichal View Post
    This project stopped?
    It does seem so, doesn't it?

Mind you, with all the excellent F-4s we're getting from various sources it's probably just a case of waiting to see where the goalposts end up.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    It does seem so, doesn't it?

Mind you, with all the excellent F-4s we're getting from various sources it's probably just a case of waiting to see where the goalposts end up.

Dave
    But all payware, we need native freeware

IRIS model download

In view of the insurmountable FDE problems with the Milviz ADV Phantom, I am interested to see if this model for the IRIS Phantom will allow a merge with the Milviz Phantom. Unfortunately the download site for Davis's IRIS model is no longer up. Does anyone have it?

Best regards,

Bill

If you search Phantom on simviation website there is a IRIS RAF Phantom set on page two and a IRIS NAVY set on page three. Hope that helps.

Regards Paul Day.

Members who have read this thread: 3