Why I Block Russia

Thread: Why I Block Russia

Blog Entries

Icon28 Why I Block Russia

This is why I block Russia,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...ity/?tid=hp_mm

The world should pull the IP's of Russia and prevent them from the internet forever.
    Look What I Have Become!

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    Why single out Russia Ickie? As its a worldwide problem you'll have to block the rest of the world including the USA!
    MickeyD

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
    Why single out Russia Ickie? As its a worldwide problem you'll have to block the rest of the world including the USA!
    I am sure that Ickie will add other countries and/or entities as the need arises. I will defer to his judgement to keep
    the site in safe working order.

Icon28

And what the problem is? Some russian guy could download some plane from the library using my name? could he get in my inbox? If is that the case let me say that i did care about it! I dont use the messages for anything out for sim.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
    I agree!!!

Here's why I support Ickie's move,

For quite some time, Hacker activity from within Russia has grown to astronomical proportions and there seems to be no curtailing of this matter in sight. Let us not forget that Russia is also a bastion for massive amounts of software piracy and many other digital crimes. My self and one of my family members were once the targets of cyber-thieves who had hacked into different accounts we owned and stole enough information to steal money from us at will. Luckily, I was already set up with being able to monitor all of my accounts that had any online associations and was able to catch illegal activity when it happened or soon after but it became a constant headache which cost me time and money to fight back against. I finally got the hackers off my back by taking extraordinary measures but when the investigations where complete, the source was from multiple Russian cyber-criminal groups.

Now some may feel that blocking an entire country is extreme, a "wide brush" fix against a small group while blocking many who aren't involved in such crimes but in reality, the Russian govt has done little to nothing to deal with this issue. It is literally a free-for-all in that country for many types of criminal activity and the cyber-crime business is booming. Oh, I left out why I gave up on computer based First Person Shooter games some time ago which is because no matter which ones I paid good money for, they all ended up being hacked by cheaters who literally ruin the game play experience for everyone. A little bit of investigation turns up that overwhelmingly, FPS hacker activity comes from Russian sources.

My two cents.....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here's an interesting live view of less than 1% of the attacks occurring right now across the globe.
    Maybe something to consider when instituting country-wide blocks...

http://map.ipviking.com/

Source:
    http://www.norse-corp.com/

Good grief! #1 "attacker" is obviously China and the #1 "target" is of course the United States.

Thank goodness those aren't "missile traces..."
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

n4gix
    Good grief! #1 "attacker" is obviously China and the #1 "target" is of course the United States.

Thank goodness those aren't "missile traces..."

now the rank of attacks is:
    1: Netherlands
    2: United States
    3: China

it fluctuates a lot. mostly the attacked country is US on #1 and sometimes the attack originates from US as well, indeed happy it is not traces of rockets, that would be an awfull lot of friendly fire incidents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Core 2duo E 8400 @ 3.00 GHz
    MSI 48C Platinum
    nVidia 8800GTX 768MB
    Corsair 4GB DDR 3

I distrust such indications (such as that map) because the most skilled of hackers have long been savvy at re-routing & masking their attacks. One of my family friends works in Cyber-Command and I've heard their public presentations of what we face on a daily basis and how elaborate the attacks are. I took notice of how Brazil seemed pretty quiet on the above map but I recall not long ago there was a hotbed of attacks coming from there but ultimately it turned up to be Iranian and Chinese attackers re-launching from servers in Brazil.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Several years ago I worked with a man who used to be an I.T. guy in the U.S. Army and he was stationed at Fort Meade, Maryland which is spook central. He said that they got daily unrelenting attacks from the Chinese trying to hack into the computers there.
    "But there are two certain targets 135 miles from here that don't expect us . . . Let's get Enterprise and Hornet turned into the wind."
    Actor Glenn Ford portraying R. Adm. Raymond Spruance in "Midway"

I concur wholeheartedly with Ickie. I work in IT for the federal governemnt of my country, and the number of attacks or hacking attempts (same thing really) per day are incredible.

We talked to a Micro$oft tech about it, and the number of daily attacks they have to put up with is ludicrous.

Moreover, for the shooting down of flight MH17, Russian should be banned from the internet alltogether.

This is of course just MHO.

Live long and prosper (if you're not Russian)

Dumonceau

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    I could be wrong but I thought racism was banned on this site! Obviously I'm wrong!
    MickeyD

Nothing more to gain here. Closed.

Members who have read this thread: 2