Examples of sim setups?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Examples of sim setups?

Examples of sim setups?

I am just NOW beginning to set up my flight sim stuff again, after months of moving preparation, and the actual move.

Shopped around Pensacola for a used desk, and found exactly what I wanted. I have begun the task of setting up things I have not used, such as a Saitek Switch Panel, Ch Controls Multi-Function, TrackIR, CH controls Yoke, plus my Saitek X52 Controllers and pedals.

So, with all this stuff, I ordered a USB hub. Way too many peripherals!

It would be cool to see some pictures of how you guys and gals have your setups configured?

I need ideas!!!!

NC

NC, i am doing an F/A-18E Super Hornet homecockpit, before i had the Saitek ProFlight Gear and Pro Flight Radio Panel, in the same time i had a keyboard over this and a keypad from logitech. The "ch@os" (i called it so ) was entered in a space of 1 meter in the middle of a wall and the printer. The complex was so high that i almost can't see the screen. Stupid only i hadn't a photo.

My cockpit is based over an iPad as radio panel, 2 Thrustmaster MFD Cougar with backscreen, Saitek Combat rudder, Saitek X-55 and a lot of switches....:beer:

With your periphericals i were doing:

-X52 on the desk center (entire hotas)
    -switch panel on the left side
    -CH multifunction panel on the right
    -pedals under the desk (fixed)
    -TrackIR over the Screen as usual

Hope i helped you
    Miro

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, AMD (GigaByte) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon SoundCard, GigaByte FX-990GAUD, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I am just NOW beginning to set up my flight sim stuff again, after months of moving preparation, and the actual move.

Shopped around Pensacola for a used desk, and found exactly what I wanted. I have begun the task of setting up things I have not used, such as a Saitek Switch Panel, Ch Controls Multi-Function, TrackIR, CH controls Yoke, plus my Saitek X52 Controllers and pedals.

So, with all this stuff, I ordered a USB hub. Way too many peripherals!

It would be cool to see some pictures of how you guys and gals have your setups configured?

I need ideas!!!!

NC

You didn't change your location to P'cola on your avatar.

Here you go - make sure you get a powered hub. Also the Saitek Switch panel must be into the PC apparently and not the hub, even then for me it only seems to work about 50% of the time, mine probably is faulty.

I also have a CH Pro yoke not shown.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

My biggest nugget of advise, if you have rudder peddles make sure your office chair don't have wheels, lol. Either that or invest in office chair wheel chocks.

Quote Originally Posted by JDTinballs View Post
    My biggest nugget of advise, if you have rudder peddles make sure your office chair don't have wheels, lol. Either that or invest in office chair wheel chocks.
    Thanks all, for the advice! I do, in fact, have wheels on my chair so I will have to lock them in place somehow. I also need to raise the level somehow. I will probably have to build some type of platform to get it raised. I changed my location....thanks for the reminder, Gray Eagle! NC

Quote Originally Posted by mirage3 View Post
    NC, i am doing an F/A-18E Super Hornet homecockpit, before i had the Saitek ProFlight Gear and Pro Flight Radio Panel, in the same time i had a keyboard over this and a keypad from logitech. The "ch@os" (i called it so ) was entered in a space of 1 meter in the middle of a wall and the printer. The complex was so high that i almost can't see the screen. Stupid only i hadn't a photo.

My cockpit is based over an iPad as radio panel, 2 Thrustmaster MFD Cougar with backscreen, Saitek Combat rudder, Saitek X-55 and a lot of switches....:beer:

With your periphericals i were doing:

-X52 on the desk center (entire hotas)
    -switch panel on the left side
    -CH multifunction panel on the right
    -pedals under the desk (fixed)
    -TrackIR over the Screen as usual

Hope i helped you
    Oh yeah, ditto on the BEER! NC

Glad to hear your settled in we eagerly await your introduction into NEUWUC. I'm still running FSX on my lap top for the time being, but that's soon to change...!
    MFC-27/migbait

My setup is the same as Benjamin's in the video. He kindly helped me in fact with the exact height and other things to make the stand that has the saitek panels and holds the monitors (mine are 16/9 using matrox triplehead2go). Instead of the radio panel I have the saitek instrument panel configured to show many things (can get that from avsim's file library).

For example both on the top and under the panels is velcro (table and underside of stand has velcro too - from Ben). In my case because I have 3 wide monitors I also have 2 bits of wood one each either side of the panels that has velcro but is not stuck (only the bits have velcro the table doesn't so its removable, the velcro makes it tight) for support but can be taken out by lifting the stand a little in case I want to add more.

I have the saitek x52 however with the throttle on the left of me and the stick on the right. In the middle I have the ch throttle quadrant.

Also have saitek rudder pedals.

I have the keyboard dead centre in front of the middle monitor.

I have a second pc on the side (L shaped desk) with an old square monitor showing google earth and it used to have simconnect with plan-g but no matter what I try it doesn't work anymore (either its a simconnect problem - which doesn't affect anything else so unlikely or its because the other pc has something corrupted perhaps with net framework because setting sup simconnect is a breeze having done it a number of times, its not plan-g because fsmap also doesn't work now either on that pc).

No matter, I have an android tablet which I am just about to make my moving map instead, at least it will actually be in front of me

I have a USB hub in which the saitek panels are connected and the joystick plugs right into the pc.

I have trackIR which I love. I turn it off when starting a plane though.

Nothing too crazy here. I do have the stereo receiver with the speakers and sub-woofer for max ultimate sound. I also have rudder pedals and a chair with wheels, but rather than put chocks on the chair wheels, I put "chocks" on the rudder pedals, in the form of a piece of wood that lets me push against them hard without moving them since they're effectively up against the wall. Works perfectly, no rudder issues.

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Well, I used to have my setup at my desk in the "man-cave".

And this is what I have after 8 months of building:

It is still a "Work In Progress".
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Charter Member 2015
    Always a work in progress....... The never-ending-story! I would love to add motion. I do have buttkicker, though.

David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0500.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	10926

Manfred, nice cockpit! With the mirrors at work it even looks like you have a lav in the appropriate spot.

Pepere, beautifully done as well.

Chief...you're in Pensacola. Surely, you gotta be able to jump on the chief's network down there and finagle and old ready room chair or busted P-3 seat out of DRMO?

Deacon

Thanks for the response. That lavatory comes in handy, when I gotta take a leak during a multi hour flight. JUst dunno if I can trust me four legged co-pilot with the controls, lol.

Us flight simmers, wit their always changing cockpit setup..... Yes I'm one of those, and I don;t think we are ever done tweaking

But I'm lovin' it

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Well, I used to have my setup at my desk in the "man-cave".

It is still a "Work In Progress".
    Although I much prefer your current setup, I will (for now) be trying to get mine to look like your former arrangement! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Although I much prefer your current setup, I will (for now) be trying to get mine to look like your former arrangement! NC
    NC, Glad to hear you like my previous setup. It worked very well for several years.

FYI,
    The box between the three main screens, and the lower center one is a self made "Switch Box" using automotive switches and a usb printboard from http://www,desktopaviator.com. And the second keyboard to the right had functions assigned using a freeware program. Since I had the keyboard laying around, there were no cost, other than a few colored sticky sheets, just time spent to get commands set up in a spreadsheet, printed on the sticky sheets. Then stuck on the keys, and assigning them to different functions of individual aircraft.

Windows does let you connect more than one keyboard, but is unable to identify the keys of each individual keyboard. It sees the keys as the same, no matter what keyboard button you press.
    That is where the freeware program comes in. It works great. I have seen where flight simmers use the program to set up a keyboard as a overhead panel.

Guess, sometimes working on cockpit expansions are even more fun then actually flying. But in the end, flying with a working expansion gives the utmost satisfaction.

Well, enjoy your cockpit, no matter how simple or complex, as long as you enjoy the flights.

Happy flying,

Manfredc3

P38man had posted a video of his setup, which includes a box-type shelf he built to raise his monitor, and house some Saitek controls.

Well, I was looking through some stuff at a local Goodwill store, and found a ready-made box about 1/2 the width of what P38man has....for $3. Fits perfect on my desk, and houses my Saitek Switch controller. Will take picture and post. NC

NC, always good to have a snoop around at the Goodwill store. You never know what you run in to.

Looking forward to seeing your pics.

This is the setup thus far. I plan to incorporate my Ipad, using an app called Simple Key Pad, which is awesome! I posted about it once. Not available for android users, unfortunately.

Also have a CH Controls Multifunction pad, but not sure if I will use it, since I have the Ipad, which can work wirelessly.

Also have a CH Yoke, but rarely use it. I USED to have a Saitek throttle with the four levers? But somehow it got lost in the move from Fort Myers.....

NC

Name:	DSCF0728.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	11554

Icon25

NC,

It looks like the box is just high enough for the Saitek panel to fit, but not too high, so that the main monitor is still at a comfortable level.

Noice find.

I am lloking around for a Goflight MCP, but the price of $525 is kinda steep. Looking to find a second hand one for a reasonable price.

For now, what i have will do

Quote Originally Posted by JDTinballs View Post
    A trip to the wreckers and some construction, all for 20 bucks takes care of that issue.

Name:	IMG_00000041.jpg 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	11689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000050.jpg 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	11690

Nice "Work in Progress". All of that for $20? That's a bargain.

Name:	8.jpg 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	1169820 was for the seat and pedestal. The rest of the setup cost me another 80 or 90.

Today, my goal is to FINALLY get my TrackIR configured. In all the years I have owned it, I have never configured it. There are numerous youtube videos about how to do this, and I plan to take my time and watch them. It should be worth it in the end. Along with EZDOK, this will be awesome! NC

Members who have read this thread: 5