AS F8 Crusader panel - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AS F8 Crusader panel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger85 View Post
    Looks great! Will this be for FSX or FS9? The AS Crusader was originally made for FS9, right?
    Yes it was, but by now, it's also been quite successfully ported into FSX ...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...er-for-FSX-zip

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...t-Crusader-FSX

It is this ported model for which Jafo is updating the 2D and VC panels.

dl

Thanks, dl!
    Cheers,
    Alex ("Badger")

My Aviation Content: [Blog] , [YouTube] & [Twitch]
    Favorite Aircraft: FSX Grumman G-21 Goose with [Redux] , [Flight dynamics] , [Sounds] & [RealEngine]

For FSX. There was a freeware release some-when around March 2013 for FSX ....from which this one's been reworked...

Clever.....missed DL's response.....note to self....refresh...

Probably a bit more to do....but 'most' of the VC now matches the 2D with component locations...including proper light locations. Added a 'fixed' AP to hide the painted-in toggles.... and stuck glass into the gauges - the draworder of which may also have fixed the draw issue that occured earlier...

Attachment 12130

I think I'm about done with the Crusader panel. It's come a long way from its origins...and I've adapted the VC to 'match' but without a new panel back....just a few masks.

Here's how the original looked....'squeezed' out into 1680...

Attachment 12142

...and here's the end result.... where the gauges are a little more 'correct'. The 'jettison canopy' handle just opens it. I still don't like the fuel dump switch ...the 'action' doesn't toggle right...so one more look...

Attachment 12143

...looks quite cosy at night....

I really like it! Nice work
    Cheers,
    Alex ("Badger")

Favorite Aircraft: FSX Grumman G-21 Goose with [Redux] , [Flight dynamics] , [Sounds] & [RealEngine]

Looks cosy indeed - just what I like and looking forward to in my F-8 BARCAP over Yankee Station. Looking forward to trying it out!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I've just completed and uploaded the Crusader's panel here.

The 2D...

Attachment 12190 with info of what's what.

The VC...

Attachment 12191 VC bitmap unchanged from original. Changes made via panel.cfg only.

**** the Installation.txt [though it's straight-forward].

Happy-snap of the 3-stage burners....

Attachment 12192

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    I've just completed and uploaded the Crusader's panel here.

Nicely done! Where's the "here" you uploaded this to?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyG View Post
    Nicely done! Where's the "here" you uploaded this to?
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=-8&tabid=446

Looks awesome Jafo! Will try tonight.

Am assuming I'm hooped, though, if I don't have a widescreen monitor, eh? Any way of making work on a "normal" monitor?

cheers - great work!

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post

Am assuming I'm hooped, though, if I don't have a widescreen monitor, eh? Any way of making work on a "normal" monitor?

cheers - great work!

dl

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post

cheers - great work!

dl
    DL...I have the demo of FSX installed on my wife's machine....shall chuck it onto there and see how it survives the res change...

Attachment 12232

1360 x 768 res....and windowed....looks ok....radar doesn't show....too basic a ver of FSX [demo]...;

I've rated this panel 5/5. I had fun flying with it last night! I like the look of the gauges in the VC. Great work and thank you!

I do have one question though. The installation asks to replace the fx_1.bmp and fx_5.bmp files that are already in my Effects folder. I didn't choose to overwrite the ones that were already there. What is the difference with these new files compared to the default ones?
    Cheers,
    Alex ("Badger")

Quote Originally Posted by Badger85 View Post
    I've rated this panel 5/5. I had fun flying with it last night! I like the look of the gauges in the VC. Great work and thank you!

I do have one question though. The installation asks to replace the fx_1.bmp and fx_5.bmp files that are already in my Effects folder. I didn't choose to overwrite the ones that were already there. What is the difference with these new files compared to the default ones?
    Hi....
    Probably nothing at all....but I try to include the effects files people 'might not' have on their machines. If you don't you're likely to get people saying 'the AB isn't working for me....' or something...

Glad you like the panel .... I usually have fun making them....as long as I can find decent images to start with, etc...

Lovely job.

The Coral-Flt F-15C/D/DJ/J?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Lovely job.

The Coral-Flt F-15C/D/DJ/J?

Dave
    +1!!! I would love to see that working in FSX!!!

I'll DL the 15 to check it out gauge-wise....but it may be too 'glass' for my liking....I prefer steam-powered good-old dials....

Edit .....got it....and yes, it 'could' benefit from some more tlc ....though not quite as distorted in widescreen as some. Things like the mirrors are so prominent - and static ....they tend to detract from the overall...even 'faked' moving ones would improve it all...

Attachment 12249
    Last edited by Jafo; September 13th, 2014 at 18:12.

Finding 'really good' photos of cockpits reasonably 'square-on' [or not finding them] is what limits choices of subject matter....
    ....but I did find this one....so here's 'step one' in a long, slow process - namely twisting it 'square'...

If you don't know what it is....think 'black' ....

Attachment 12286

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Finding 'really good' photos of cockpits reasonably 'square-on' [or not finding them] is what limits choices of subject matter....
    ....but I did find this one....so here's 'step one' in a long, slow process - namely twisting it 'square'...

If you don't know what it is....think 'black' ....
    ???

Playing with the Blackbird and I noticed it had a working system for Oxy levels, Tank Pressure, etc so have spent the better part of 3 days getting it to work 'right' on the Crusader. For the life of me I couldn't get the 'low oxy' light to kick in where I wanted it to [or at all] ...at 20%.... but finally managed it...with lateral thinking [not a strong point for me when mucking around in XML].
    My Panel had originally 'faked it' by displaying fuel Q levels instead, as a lot of models do. Took a few trips around the planet...time-wise to use up the oxy in trial and error until I got it to do what it's supposed to do....

Then....while transitioning from day to night [several times] I had to revise little bits re lighting effects in other gauges....luminous vs bright, etc.
    It never ends.....updating more of the Thud likewise and some gauges I'd originally done in 2010 were still being revised 4 years later....

Attachment 12421
    Tomorrow I'm off to King Island in this thing....[though it'll be the real one....not my paint] ...
    Must upload it sometime...

After much deliberation my next panel is this one....early days [obviously]...but the photo background gives a good idea of how the gauges 'should be' ...

Attachment 12570 [it's a P-80]

Blog Entries

F-8 Panel ...

Hello Paul,

I finally (having gotten a widescreen monitor) installed this. Followed the instructions (pretty basic, and well-written) - and now when I select the specific F-8 (I only did one in the .cfg, just to test), FSX hangs. Any other F-8 submodel is fine, when aliased to the ported over panels done by Don et al.

Any ideas?

thanks,

dl

dl....check all the gauges are where they are supposed to be...namely in the panel folder. If it hangs it's likely due to wanting to find something that's not in the correct place. The panels run painlessly in FSX Accel...with no issues [normally]..

Members who have read this thread: 1